6 am obstetrical call

Help Support CattleToday:

I think the last one a vet came to the dairy down the road was about $300 m/l.... so that would figure about right... $100 farm call, $100 supplies, $100 vet time...

What do you charge to do one?
I usually tell clients they'll have around $400 in it, but there are a lot of variables. If I'm driving an hour through a blizzard at midnight on Christmas to cut a feral cow tied to post in an open shed without electricity, it's going to be more than Bill Gates could afford.

I usually tell clients they'll have around $400 in it, but there are a lot of variables. If I'm driving an hour through a blizzard at midnight on Christmas to cut a feral cow tied to post in an open shed without electricity, it's going to be more than Bill Gates could afford.
You bring up a great point and part of the reason i suspect many younger vets are small animal only. Why would they want to do what you just described.

What does a c-section cost? Sure eats up any profit but beats losing a cow.

What did that calf weigh?

I can only imagine when ⁰people don't have the facilities or animals ready to do your job efficiently

As should be expected. I have heard of one vet north of here who like small animals more billing ranchers $900 for a c section.
You bring up a great point and part of the reason i suspect many younger vets are small animal only. Why would they want to do what you just described.
Adventure! 😂😂

I bet it's a common thing in our area, Kenny. The first vet I used was very picky. He'd been almost killed not long before I got into it, doing something with no facilities. His first question to me was... you have a head catch, right?

Wow. I'm impressed you can do your own C-section!!!!!!!
We bought 3 or 4 bred heifers sometime ago, maybe 20 years ago. Same idea, heifers bred to elephants, of course were told they were bred to heifer bull!!!!!!!! Lost 2 of them. Never again, I can say that much!!!!

Wow. I'm impressed you can do your own C-section!!!!!!!
We bought 3 or 4 bred heifers sometime ago, maybe 20 years ago. Same idea, heifers bred to elephants, of course were told they were bred to heifer bull!!!!!!!! Lost 2 of them. Never again, I can say that much!!!!
We've bought hundreds of heifers over the years. Most are pretty good. We win and lose.

gcreek, you should offer internships for aspiring cattleman/vets. One spring with you and they would experience more calving and doctoring than any vet school could ever give someone. And the biggest bonus is you could end up with some help for calving season. :)

gcreek, you should offer internships for aspiring cattleman/vets. One spring with you and they would experience more calving and doctoring than any vet school could ever give someone. And the biggest bonus is you could end up with some help for calving season. :)
Would you do the recruiting for us?

I'm tempted to sell my cows and offer my services for a calving season just for the experience/knowledge. I know I would have if I would have found this website before I had cows. I can always buy another herd of cows.
I'm in a world full of dairy people and calves are about worthless to them. Most would rather off the calf than spend the time trying to keep a calf alive.

I'm tempted to sell my cows and offer my services for a calving season just for the experience/knowledge. I know I would have if I would have found this website before I had cows. I can always buy another herd of cows.
I'm in a world full of dairy people and calves are about worthless to them. Most would rather off the calf than spend the time trying to keep a calf alive.
Next year……

Latest posts