Haybelly or am I getting an OOPS calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

As long as they ain't been out hoeing around with a LONGHORN!
😂🤣😂🤣
Technically, if a heifer is that young and bred a longhorn that would be a good thing from a calving perspective. Most of the time ours that have done that have been by CE Angus and turned out ok. After our last group of heifers calved to a supposed to be CE Hereford, I'm seriously considering leaving our LongHorn's Angus bull calf as a bull.

As long as they ain't been out hoeing around with a LONGHORN!
😂🤣😂🤣
No longhorns around here.. sire is pretty good calving ease, I don't think there'll be too much trouble, I found when they're bred that young they usually don't make a big calf anyhwo.. last one was like 20 years ago, it was like 40 lbs

Technically, if a heifer is that young and bred a longhorn that would be a good thing from a calving perspective. Most of the time ours that have done that have been by CE Angus and turned out ok. After our last group of heifers calved to a supposed to be CE Hereford, I'm seriously considering leaving our LongHorn's Angus bull calf as a bull.

Our "next door" neighbor has a few Longhorn bulls to breed his heifers to, because he says they usually make smaller calves.

with sarcasm.. I'd rather they not hoe themselves out underaged!

In my excitement over calf news, I forgot she was just a teenager, LOL! She should be fine, though. I know several people that had 14 to 15 month old heifers who popped out an oops calf, and I've never heard of any that actually had a problem. They've all been fine, and the calves, too.

Most of my heifer calves don't start cycling until they're 7 to 9 months old, but I did have one that had her first heat at 4 months, so it happens. Good thing for me we don't have a bull here or I would have had an oops calf myself. :)

Our "next door" neighbor has a few Longhorn bulls to breed his heifers to, because he says they usually make smaller calves.

In my excitement over calf news, I forgot she was just a teenager, LOL! She should be fine, though. I know several people that had 14 to 15 month old heifers who popped out an oops calf, and I've never heard of any that actually had a problem. They've all been fine, and the calves, too.

Most of my heifer calves don't start cycling until they're 7 to 9 months old, but I did have one that had her first heat at 4 months, so it happens. Good thing for me we don't have a bull here or I would have had an oops calf myself. :)
a few years ago I noticed a couple heifers in heat at 180 days old and with the bull, but it didn't matter much to me since they weren't on the replacement list anyhow

@Nesikep, guaranteed open brings more when I sell my heifers. I don't want another Oops Baby and neither do the buyers. Just sayin, if I notice a heifer calf going into heat at a very young age, I either pull the bulls earlier than anticipated, wean the heifer earlier than anticipated, or Lute + Dex at weaning.

Well she had her calf this morning.. Needed some help, but wasn't bad.. he was stuck at the head for a while and his nose is a bit swollen, it's gone down a bit now.. Momma is really good and attentive, calf is a bit dumb, hasn't nursed her yet, I've gotten a quart and a bit down him so far, he's standing, and I think by the evening I'll have him nursing20210520_124941.jpg

Well she had her calf this morning.. Needed some help, but wasn't bad.. he was stuck at the head for a while and his nose is a bit swollen, it's gone down a bit now.. Momma is really good and attentive, calf is a bit dumb, hasn't nursed her yet, I've gotten a quart and a bit down him so far, he's standing, and I think by the evening I'll have him nursingView attachment 4503
Very nice!! Congratulations!

Perhaps I've missed it, but how old is the heifer/cow?

I got him nursing a bit earlier.. I'm going to supplement him for a while until momma gets into milk making mode.. she's going to need lots of groceries

Nice looking little calf from the head on Nesi.

Ken
Yup, Now I just have to get him firing on all cylinders!... He's a little bloated this morning, I got him up and tried to make him move around a bit, Momma is doing a great job, lots of licking and attentive, I got him up to the teats and he fiddled with them a bit but didn't really nurse, I'll hold off on bottling him for a bit and get him a bit hungry.. Kinda thinking a shot of draxxin could be in order, he inhaled a bunch of his colostrum rather than swallowing properly... I forget, clostridial bloat, is that a danger when they're this young or is it when they're a few weeks old it happens?

He might be nursing when you're not looking, have you done the wet-finger test?
what's the wet finger test?

So today he looked a bit bloated, I gave him electrolytes with a scour bolus at noon, it was breezy out but the sun was really hot.. also gave him a shot of draxxin since his cord was ripped off right at the navel, I had to go to town in the afternoon, he looked fine so I left him.. Got back at 10 pm, got him and momma up and got him up to the teats, he nursed a bit, seemed to be pretty awake and feeling better... He's got one knuckle that doesn't hold his weight very well, I'm sure he'll get over that no problem,.. I know he's able to get up on his own now, so while I'm not 100% sure we're in the clear, I think we're over the big hurdles

Latest posts