what do quality cattle look like?

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep":1nqegarx said:
a quality animal for a beef operation is one that reliably makes a good calf year after year.. it doesn't matter what they look like. Seedstock is a totally different story.. length, depth, topline, udder, shoulders, head, etc are all important.

Couldn't agree more! Irma was butt ugly with a nappy coat & stubby ears but that girl calved like clockwork, always one of the first & a great bag, produced strong, healthy calves & her heifers (amazingly/thankfully good looking) have all followed suit.

Brute 23":1e85f4d0 said:
JMJ Farms":1e85f4d0 said:

Those are some good looking animals. Can I get a few from ya? :)

I wish I could tell you those are mine Brute. But they ain't. Although I've got a crop coming in March that I hope look real close to that when they are 15-18 months old. My luck they will be 98% steers :lol2:

rynophiliac":acprabip said:
I'm curious what you guys think of this one:

2baaebe1-e20b-4956-bb57-b6ed7544df1f.jpg
Thanks for the pic :D

fenceman":24wzrdj5 said:
Here's one of my heifers I've selectively bred them to be easy to catch

that's how I like mine easy to work with :lol: . thanks for the post :tiphat:

Here you go ez

Again out of my pasture, not the net.
some of my favorites and it has nothing to do with looks..what I like about these girls is their productive, calves within 12 months. They keep their calves under them. I don't like cows that hide their calves, too hard to check em in brush. They do the job by their selves.. I can leave em and not worry about em.
Probably the best I've ever had , I keep every hiefer she has. True boss cow. Will take charge of any herd and looks after everybody.

Good mama here raises a good calf. In this pic she just had a big 7.5 month calf pulled
A few weeks back. And coming off a very bad summer. Still in good condition. Don't turn your back on her if she's got a calf.

Photo bucket butchered this photo. Haven't had these two long but I bought em from my uncle across the fence, so I know em calves off his char bull.

ucp.php?i=pm&mode=view&f=0&p=490539

Raised her brangus type cow and brangus bull

Chatting up the heifers.
Edit. Was supposed to one of the bulls +;)&!/(&&photobucket

If nobody else post we will have to assume they got nothing better.

Here's some of what I consider our best cows, as in they raise a good to great calf every 365 days or so.

Raised DD's 4H steer for this year
IMG_6457%20800x533_zpsxalazg9v.jpg

DD's first calf heifer, raise a 700 lb calf AND bred back in the first cycle
IMG_6360%20800x533_zps7x4jj4s9.jpg

10 years old in the picture, bred back for the first cycle. I think the photo says it all...
IMG_6345%20800x618_zpsyyrluyhn.jpg

This is possibly the best producing cow in the herd. Pictured as a 2 year old, she's 7 years old now
0029_zps4da02c06.jpg

I have posted this girl before hard cow to bet in my neck of the woods.
Both are 1/4 Brimmer.
She currently has a 2 week old bull calf.

As well as this girl she has a 3 day old bull calf currently

JMJ Farms":1cje8ppg said:
CB, I'd take 6 trailer loads of some that look like that black one. Fine animals IMO.

Thanks this was a journey I didn't get there overnight.
I figured out it was a lot more profitable to run a good cow

Again I have posted this girl earlier and nothing on this place puts pounds on a calf like her.
I don't like retaining heifers, I am keeping hers.

Caustic Burno":1tw28kwz said:
JMJ Farms":1tw28kwz said:
CB, I'd take 6 trailer loads of some that look like that black one. Fine animals IMO.

Thanks this was a journey I didn't get there overnight.
I figured out it was a lot more profitable to run a good cow

Again I have posted this girl earlier and nothing on this place puts pounds on a calf like her.
I don't like retaining heifers, I am keeping hers.

Other than the 1/4 brimmer, what's the rest of her "makeup"? (The black one)

JMJ Farms":3ad289ct said:
To me this is about as good as you can grow them in the hotter parts of the southern US

Those are FINE IMO problem is I aged for the tiger.
Still have a few Certified F-1's that for the most part are cool been
working to get the girls to 1/4 as they are replaced.

But I keeping some Brimmer in them all.

Latest posts