• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What clippers do you recommend?

Help Support CattleToday:

TTBHG

Reaction score
I’m going to freeze brand my heifers. Before freeze branding they need to be shaved. I’m not sure what clippers I should buy. Any recommendations? Thanks!

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
I use Oster Shearmaster clippers to knock the mud and long stuff off then Oster Clipmaster clippers with surgical blades to shave them close. Been using the same clippers for 10years. They work GREAT.

simme

Old Dumb Guy
Reaction score
Oster Shearmaster and Clipmaster are great quality, very heavy duty and will last pretty much forever. But, they cost about $300 each. Unless you have a bunch of heifers, look at something like Andis AGC2 Detachable Blade Clipper or Oster A5. Same clipper blades will fit both of these. About $125 for clippers and about $20 to $30 for each set of clipper blades. Brush the area to remove dirt, clip with #10 blades, brush again, then clip with #50 surgical blades.

Stickney94

Reaction score
Resurrecting an older thread.

I have the same question (brand recommendations), but also another.

What are people's routines for cleaning, maintenance of both the clipper and the blades?

Buck Randall

Reaction score
Resurrecting an older thread.

I have the same question (brand recommendations), but also another.

What are people's routines for cleaning, maintenance of both the clipper and the blades?
I just clean mine with a dry brush. Apply a little clipper blade lube before use or as needed to keep them from jamming up.

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
I use JD multi lube its cheaper than regular clipper lube.
If the clippers are really dirty I use a hand air wand and blow them off with the air compressor.
I have learned the hard way; DON'T WRAP THE CORD AROUND THE CLIPPERS TO STORE THEM. Over time the cord cracks and shorts out. Then you get to tear the clippers apart and put a new cord on them.

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
We have a cattle blower and blow the hair out before we clip. Saves on clipper blades and skin is good and clean to take a freeze brand.
What time of year are you freeze branding? We're getting ready to do a bunch in a couple weeks.
I use sheep shears first to get rid of the mud and long hair then surgical clippers to finish up. We don't have a blower, but I like that idea.

GoWyo

Reaction score
What time of year are you freeze branding? We're getting ready to do a bunch in a couple weeks.
I use sheep shears first to get rid of the mud and long hair then surgical clippers to finish up. We don't have a blower, but I like that idea.
Usually in the spring when they are still shedding.

Latest posts