What clippers do you recommend?

Help Support CattleToday:

TTBHG

Reaction score
I'm going to freeze brand my heifers. Before freeze branding they need to be shaved. I'm not sure what clippers I should buy. Any recommendations? Thanks!

I use Oster Shearmaster clippers to knock the mud and long stuff off then Oster Clipmaster clippers with surgical blades to shave them close. Been using the same clippers for 10years. They work GREAT.

Oster Shearmaster and Clipmaster are great quality, very heavy duty and will last pretty much forever. But, they cost about $300 each. Unless you have a bunch of heifers, look at something like Andis AGC2 Detachable Blade Clipper or Oster A5. Same clipper blades will fit both of these. About $125 for clippers and about $20 to $30 for each set of clipper blades. Brush the area to remove dirt, clip with #10 blades, brush again, then clip with #50 surgical blades.

Resurrecting an older thread.

I have the same question (brand recommendations), but also another.

What are people's routines for cleaning, maintenance of both the clipper and the blades?

Resurrecting an older thread.

I have the same question (brand recommendations), but also another.

What are people's routines for cleaning, maintenance of both the clipper and the blades?
I just clean mine with a dry brush. Apply a little clipper blade lube before use or as needed to keep them from jamming up.

I use JD multi lube its cheaper than regular clipper lube.
If the clippers are really dirty I use a hand air wand and blow them off with the air compressor.
I have learned the hard way; DON'T WRAP THE CORD AROUND THE CLIPPERS TO STORE THEM. Over time the cord cracks and shorts out. Then you get to tear the clippers apart and put a new cord on them.

We have a cattle blower and blow the hair out before we clip. Saves on clipper blades and skin is good and clean to take a freeze brand.
What time of year are you freeze branding? We're getting ready to do a bunch in a couple weeks.
I use sheep shears first to get rid of the mud and long hair then surgical clippers to finish up. We don't have a blower, but I like that idea.

What time of year are you freeze branding? We're getting ready to do a bunch in a couple weeks.
I use sheep shears first to get rid of the mud and long hair then surgical clippers to finish up. We don't have a blower, but I like that idea.
Usually in the spring when they are still shedding.

Here is my problem -- I grew up using a Sunbeam clipper that was used once per year and is evidently still going strong (my cousin has it). It's had the blades sharpened twice in what is now a 50+ year life.

For the life of me I can't keep a set of blades working beyond 2-3 years. I've tried different blade types/sizes/brands. I'm only clipping 20 animals or less annually and JUST for freeze-branding -- so a 8"x16" rectangle.

There is no way these blades get dull doing that few animals is there? Or do they get dull that fast?

In short -- what is my user error?

Here is my problem -- I grew up using a Sunbeam clipper that was used once per year and is evidently still going strong (my cousin has it). It's had the blades sharpened twice in what is now a 50+ year life.

For the life of me I can't keep a set of blades working beyond 2-3 years. I've tried different blade types/sizes/brands. I'm only clipping 20 animals or less annually and JUST for freeze-branding -- so a 8"x16" rectangle.

There is no way these blades get dull doing that few animals is there? Or do they get dull that fast?

Sounds about right. It also depends on how dull you can stand to run them. The blades I changed last time had probably clipped 65Hd give or take. Only for freeze branding. Half way through a group of 45 I'd had enough so I switched them out. Did the rest of that group no problem, should be good to go on the 12 scheduled for Thursday.
I'm using Oster blades.

In short- Dirt. Any grime, dander, dust are hard on blades. The best thing you can do is keep them well oiled during use, switch out blades as soon as they start to get dull, and if possible, clean the animal's hide a bit prior to clipping (even hitting the branding area with a hair blow dryer works better than nothing). Aside from that, keep blades oiled when not in use, find a good sharpening service, and have your clipper gone over occasionally, even if you only use it once or twice a year (if the control arms are even a bit out of whack, you will go through blades way faster than normal). And as mentioned above, keep the clipper and its cord clean when not in use and don't wind or sharply bend the cord for storage.

Latest posts