What can I do to get through the molt?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
It is already really hot around here, and I figure that pretty soon my chickens will start to molt. When that happens, egg production falls off sharply. Is there anything I can do to help them get through the molt quicker? I read in Storie's Guide to Raising Chickens that if I throw some dog food in the summer it will keep them laying. Anyone try this? Any other suggestions?

Never heard of anything you can do for molt. It's nature and you have to let it run its course. Don't believe dog food does anything for production either. The only thing you can do is keep a good laying feed in front of them to give them what they need to keep production as high as nature will allow.

The only reason I read about the dog food being beneficial is because of the extra protein. I am feeding a 20% lay pellet by Golden Oak. If there is something else that is better, please let me know. That is what I have always fed. We have a good market for our eggs locally and I hate to see our customers disappointed. I have already told everyone to expect that the molt will reduce production. Thanks.

The only reason I read about the dog food being beneficial is because of the extra protein. I am feeding a 20% lay pellet by Golden Oak. If there is something else that is better, please let me know. That is what I have always fed. We have a good market for our eggs locally and I hate to see our customers disappointed. I have already told everyone to expect that the molt will reduce production. Thanks.

In years past we would force molt half of the older hens. When they got started back into production we would force molt the other half. Those that didn;t come back into good production went in the stew pot.
Since so many breeds are more for the productin venue then the home flock it seems that fewer hens are really productive after their second year and some of them not even past their first.

dun

I dont know what protein content is of the dog food but I found the Kitten Chow has a Huge protein content.

All mine always molt in the fall, as the daylight hours get shorter. And to help get them through the molt quicker, I have read that you can put an artificial light, on a timer, in the coop. Doing this to continue to keep the "daylight" hours at 12-15 hours or longer.

I think commercial egg places leave lights on 24 hours to prevent them from going to molt. I personally dont agree with that, because nature intended them to molt for a reason, their body needs a rest. So I just let them molt and let the customers know it will be slow for a while.

You could stagger the molt as dun suggested. You could get babies at different times of the year. Typically I have found if I get chicks in the spring, they molt in the fall. So if you got some in the fall, they would molt in the spring. ? (I dont know that for sure)

Dun, most of my layers are in their first year. I have another batch coming up that will start to lay in August. I cull, too, when they start falling off. Unless it is a chicken I have gotten attached to, and I have three of those from my original flock that are about 6 years old. They hardly ever lay, but one of them had a broken leg which we got through and I always put her in with new chicks. They seem to like her. I call her Mama. Silly, yes, but she loves me! :heart:

I read, too that the molt is supposed to start when the days get shorter and in the past, that has been the case. I think that the heat plays a big part here, though. And it is already as hot here now as it is in August. It is more heat stress than molt, probably, and I suppose that protein wouldn't helo that situation. I am doing all I can. I have well ventilated pens, and I am a stickler about fresh water. It is just my personal flock, but we, and some other folks around here, do like the big brown eggs.

Could it make it worse that they are black chickens? I know that it doesn't help that they are heavy breeds, but even my banties fall off this time of the year.

I'm recalling back from my chicken days now. The actual most is caused by a combination of age and light, or less light actaully. Heat causes fether loss, not a real molt. The poor buggers are trying to get cool. Heat stress causes them to slow down their egg production. The hens we kept in an enclosed run had a fan blowing throough it and that helped. The free range girls spent a lot of time around the rabbitry because there were misters going that kept that cooler. Unless there isn;t any shade I don;t think the color makes a real difference. The white hens, the reds and the grays (barred rocks) all pretty much behaved the same way. It seems that the white leghorns actually suffered more in egg production. Just guessing because the white and red leghorns were the only white egg layeers we had and I sure couldn;t tell the difference between the eggs from the 2 colors. Juts seemed that the wattles on the whites were paler and more shriveled then the reds. But that could have been because they're less noticabe on white then red chickens.
Sorry just babbling

dun

Well, if you really wanted to get carried away .... :) You could set up a fan with a water mist - sorta like they have at the football games. Keep them cool, maybe they would lay better. :) I have actually heard of folks doing that! Going out several times a day and spritzing the birds! :)

Or, use this as an excuse, you need MORE chickens! :) They are still laying, just not as often. So to keep the number of eggs coming in the same as spring, get MORE. :p

At one time, Rebel, I actually kept a kiddie pool in the pen and the chickens would get in and walk around. That was when I had only one pen, no chicks, and what an awful mess it was to clean every day!!!

I don't have water to the barns, otherwise, I actually have mister hoses that someone gave us and I would install them. I have to get their water from the trough about 50 years away and carry it by hand to the pens. Makes me want to get in the trough! 8) We just this year ran electricity to the barn. i suppose I could do fans. The pens are wired so that we can have heat lamps. I can see the calves and donkeys getting into that! Poop all over the fans... I guess it would be worth a try. Will bring it up with the hub. Thanks, everyone! :D

Latest posts