Heard through the grapevine

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm not to sure how I feel about all this mining, solar, wind, and just poking around that's going on. We bought this place because we like being out here. We enjoy the cattle even though they can be a pain and may or may not make money. It would definitely be hard to turn down a big chunk of change and I know you can just go buy another place but then what? If we were intersted in a bunch of money we could sell out and retire on 30 acres somewhere but that's not the goal. What happened to a couple oil or gas wells just bringing in money and not causing a huge diruption. I honestly don't know how to feel about all this stuff.
When we moved out here in the 80s, it was still the wild wild west. Bad guys ruling everything. If you didnt jump when they said jump, you'd find your cows gut shot or your barn burned. I had one guy bring his rotts over in the back of his truck. When i went over to see what he wanted, he was telling his dogs to watch my kids who were playing in front of our house. I told him to stop, he said, "My dogs love little children." Land out here was from anywhere from 160 to 300 an acre. My husband tamed this area. He backed down from no one and ran them all off.
Talco has oil wells and the stench of rotten eggs. Now we have the chicken egg place and on maybe one day a year, we smell them. Although, a neighbor just spread some south of us and we smelled it a few days. Land sells for up to 8000 an acre. A lot has changed here since the 80s..
Not sure what is involved with getting lithium, but, it would be closer to us than what the panels are so, if it does much damage or bothers us, we'll probably opt to do nothing. But, the place i think it will be is a mile and a half from our house...
But i think back to the 80s where no one wanted to live here. Boggled my mind, its so pretty out here.

I'm not to sure how I feel about all this mining, solar, wind, and just poking around that's going on. We bought this place because we like being out here. We enjoy the cattle even though they can be a pain and may or may not make money. It would definitely be hard to turn down a big chunk of change and I know you can just go buy another place but then what? If we were intersted in a bunch of money we could sell out and retire on 30 acres somewhere but that's not the goal. What happened to a couple oil or gas wells just bringing in money and not causing a huge diruption. I honestly don't know how to feel about all this stuff.
The propaganda machine tells the ignorant one is bad and the other is good and here we are.

I'm not agaisnt generating revenue off the land but a lot of landowners give it away way too cheap. These people know the financial situation of most people in agriculture and target that though.

When we moved out here in the 80s, it was still the wild wild west. Bad guys ruling everything. If you didnt jump when they said jump, you'd find your cows gut shot or your barn burned. I had one guy bring his rotts over in the back of his truck. When i went over to see what he wanted, he was telling his dogs to watch my kids who were playing in front of our house. I told him to stop, he said, "My dogs love little children." Land out here was from anywhere from 160 to 300 an acre. My husband tamed this area. He backed down from no one and ran them all off.
Talco has oil wells and the stench of rotten eggs. Now we have the chicken egg place and on maybe one day a year, we smell them. Although, a neighbor just spread some south of us and we smelled it a few days. Land sells for up to 8000 an acre. A lot has changed here since the 80s..
Not sure what is involved with getting lithium, but, it would be closer to us than what the panels are so, if it does much damage or bothers us, we'll probably opt to do nothing. But, the place i think it will be is a mile and a half from our house...
But i think back to the 80s where no one wanted to live here. Boggled my mind, its so pretty out here.

If some guy told his dogs to watch my children….well I can't even type on here what would happen because it would be so bad it would probably trigger the FBI or someone…

The propaganda machine tells the ignorant one is bad and the other is good and here we are.

I'm not agaisnt generating revenue off the land but a lot of landowners give it away way too cheap. These people know the financial situation of most people in agriculture and target that though.
Even an O&G lease hound will do a little looking thru property mineral holder's financial situation before knocking on their door.

Look at what San Miguel Electric did to the Peeler ranch....

My neighbouring county (Cornwall) has lithium apparently but they seem to have everything a long history of mining tin, copper, clay, cornish pasties you name it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even an O&G lease hound will do a little looking thru property mineral holder's financial situation before knocking on their door.

Look at what San Miguel Electric did to the Peeler ranch....
I didn't realize there was a big issue there. We drilled wells and operated on the Peeler. Some of them were on the reclaimed land. It was the nice stuff I was referring to. You can see some right off 37. When I was in that area they were mining the stuff right off 37. I went by a couple days ago and it was all pretty grass.

Maybe they only reclaim the areas along the roads? 😄

I just read several articles on it and SM blamed natural salt areas, o&g, and herbicides for the dead areas. That's a huge red flag. I'm not aware of natural salt areas like that around there, like closer to the coast, and the herb/ o&g deal is nonsense. That fly ash is bad stuff. The msds sheet shows bad arsenic in that stuff. You are not suppose to breath the dust or store it where run off can go to water sources.

Definitely sounds like some shady business.

If some guy told his dogs to watch my children….well I can't even type on here what would happen because it would be so bad it would probably trigger the FBI or someone…
I'll say it, he'd take the room temperature challenge and the sheriff could pick him up in the driveway, dead as a can of corned beef. My family is in a really sketchy situation running off some meth heads right now, it has been a little over a week by hours since I last put my hand on my gun and told somebody to try something if they felt lucky.

So, i told him to quit and leave. Now, you say you'd take care of it right then. This guy was bad,his gang was bad. Looked like the grim reaper. Was dark and dangerous. I was in my 20s, had 3 babies and my husband was out in the field from dawn to dusk. SO, i was there alone far away from anyone and we were lucky to have phone service. When husband got home, he did hunt him down and warned him to stay out of our yard. He was a bully and my husband doesnt back down to bullies and it was something this guy hadnt come across i guess. We had off and on trouble with him, but he never burned down anything like he threatened to do. He opened up a drug business on the land he got somehow down the road from us. The law chased a wanted guy living there with him behind our house with an assault rifle, they ended up killing him. In 2011, this guy took revenge on someone and set multiple fires that burned 100s of acres in that drought around us but nothing of ours. He went to prison for that where he died. Not sure who he was mad at. I was apparently behind him when he was setting them. Its good i didnt come face to face with him at that time, because i would not be here now. I was so close behind, i came across a fire he had just set that was the size of a dinner plate.. I dodged a bullet there, literally. He and his pack no longer rule this area. Things had been quiet for a long time until the 2011 fires. But as far as me doing anything other than did, confront him and tell him to leave was basically all i could do. I stood up to him and he left. Then i went and changed my drawers...lol.... when i say he was scary, mix up all the bad guys from all the western movies and thats what he looked like. He was very tall too, which made him even more menacing. Was always in black from head to toe.... he wanted to look bad.
Note.... creep decided to sell the land but said he would not sell it to us. We had a friend who wanted some land out here, so he made a bid on it but did not tell him he knew us. Friend got the land and that got rid of that mess and it has been quiet since, sep for the 2011 fires.

So, i told him to quit and leave. Now, you say you'd take care of it right then. This guy was bad,his gang was bad. Looked like the grim reaper. Was dark and dangerous. I was in my 20s, had 3 babies and my husband was out in the field from dawn to dusk. SO, i was there alone far away from anyone and we were lucky to have phone service. When husband got home, he did hunt him down and warned him to stay out of our yard. He was a bully and my husband doesnt back down to bullies and it was something this guy hadnt come across i guess. We had off and on trouble with him, but he never burned down anything like he threatened to do. He opened up a drug business on the land he got somehow down the road from us. The law chased a wanted guy living there with him behind our house with an assault rifle, they ended up killing him. In 2011, this guy took revenge on someone and set multiple fires that burned 100s of acres in that drought around us but nothing of ours. He went to prison for that where he died. Not sure who he was mad at. I was apparently behind him when he was setting them. Its good i didnt come face to face with him at that time, because i would not be here now. I was so close behind, i came across a fire he had just set that was the size of a dinner plate.. I dodged a bullet there, literally. He and his pack no longer rule this area. Things had been quiet for a long time until the 2011 fires. But as far as me doing anything other than did, confront him and tell him to leave was basically all i could do. I stood up to him and he left. Then i went and changed my drawers...lol.... when i say he was scary, mix up all the bad guys from all the western movies and thats what he looked like. He was very tall too, which made him even more menacing. Was always in black from head to toe.... he wanted to look bad.
Note.... creep decided to sell the land but said he would not sell it to us. We had a friend who wanted some land out here, so he made a bid on it but did not tell him he knew us. Friend got the land and that got rid of that mess and it has been quiet since, sep for the 2011 fires.
I'd say you handled it well for what you could do at that time. My wife is a firecracker and carries a gun, built her own rifle, etc. I often have to curb her actions because she is about as bloody as me but doesn't know what that weight means to carry. Hope she never knows, because that's a hell of a thing to tote.

I'd say you handled it well for what you could do at that time. My wife is a firecracker and carries a gun, built her own rifle, etc. I often have to curb her actions because she is about as bloody as me but doesn't know what that weight means to carry. Hope she never knows, because that's a hell of a thing to tote.
We have our own resident meth heads here. They are totally different than this guy. He actually burned down people's houses and barns, along with hay stacks and gut shot cows.. He was not a guy you go off on willy nilly. He just asked for a reason to burn your place down. And where i live, rumor has it, if you want to get away with murder come to our county. And its way better than it was then. This guy grew pot on this place before we bought it. Got busted and they hauled away a semi truck load of plants. For years the feds flew helicopters over our place to make sure he didnt grow again. When you see shows like Ozark or Narcos, this guy is who they wrote about..lol..Had no regard for anyone. I will find a shallow grave on this place some day. One day i saw him digging in a boggy area off one of our gravel roads.. Mind you, he did not live around here. I looked the other way............I SAW NOTHING.... To this day, i want to go dig there and see what he was looking for, but i dont trespass so i cant... It was so random. It was a good day when i heard he died..

We have our own resident meth heads here. They are totally different than this guy. He actually burned down people's houses and barns, along with hay stacks and gut shot cows.. He was not a guy you go off on willy nilly. He just asked for a reason to burn your place down. And where i live, rumor has it, if you want to get away with murder come to our county. And its way better than it was then. This guy grew pot on this place before we bought it. Got busted and they hauled away a semi truck load of plants. For years the feds flew helicopters over our place to make sure he didnt grow again. When you see shows like Ozark or Narcos, this guy is who they wrote about..lol..Had no regard for anyone. I will find a shallow grave on this place some day. One day i saw him digging in a boggy area off one of our gravel roads.. Mind you, he did not live around here. I looked the other way............I SAW NOTHING.... To this day, i want to go dig there and see what he was looking for, but i dont trespass so i cant... It was so random. It was a good day when i heard he died..
I know what you mean ma'am. A family member of ours was killed on the property that borders ours two years ago. We know who did it we think, but the sheriff's department couldn't make a case off of it. It is what it is. People talk about ghosts and spirits and haints in those woods but I tell them the only devils in those hills are the original himself and the people he's gotten into who run around there with no regard for property lines or rights or laws.

Those bastards hit him in the head and rolled him for his money and tossed him in the creek. He was found in a snag, bloated and naked. I'd like to do what I know ought to be done but this isn't my grandfather's world anymore. Somebody's got to be a real threat before you can shoot them these days.

I know what you mean ma'am. A family member of ours was killed on the property that borders ours two years ago. We know who did it we think, but the sheriff's department couldn't make a case off of it. It is what it is. People talk about ghosts and spirits and haints in those woods but I tell them the only devils in those hills are the original himself and the people he's gotten into who run around there with no regard for property lines or rights or laws.

Those bastards hit him in the head and rolled him for his money and tossed him in the creek. He was found in a snag, bloated and naked. I'd like to do what I know ought to be done but this isn't my grandfather's world anymore. Somebody's got to be a real threat before you can shoot them these days.
SSS

I would, but I'd have to be surer than pretty sure. Even if they're a worthless dopehead, I don't want to lay anyone low that don't need to be. That said, I catch them on our land and it's over. I'm a right peaceable man, but I ain't sent no invites. On your own land, it's your story to tell.

Any people wonder why I live in the frozen tundra?

Ain't never had anybody come around threatening nobody. The methheads here may try and steal your mailbox but that's about it. The stoners grow and smoke their pot and eat cheetos in private. No need for wild west gun slinging, my kids play freely in the yard and we never give it a 2nd thought.

Any people wonder why I live in the frozen tundra?

Ain't never had anybody come around threatening nobody. The methheads here may try and steal your mailbox but that's about it. The stoners grow and smoke their pot and eat cheetos in private. No need for wild west gun slinging, my kids play freely in the yard and we never give it a 2nd thought.
Mine do too, we just keep a scattergun behind that front door is all. Is it really that peaceful up that way?

I keep a .22 behind the door for the occasional racoon or skunk that needs taken care of.

At home the keys are in everything and the doors are unlocked. To the best anybody can remember my inlaws house hasn't been locked in the 115 years since it was built.
I couldn't live like that. What's the point of working out every week and shooting on the weekends if I ain't got to whoop nobody's azz and don't got nobody who might need shooting? Sounds boring.

Latest posts