Heard through the grapevine

Help Support CattleToday:

Its nice out here now. People who dont belong out here, drive by to just look at the scenery. Husband settled this area, lots of people out here attest to it. Now, cant wait for the lithium leasers to come out and give us a lease bid.. lol

It's easy out our way. Our biggest threat is that one of the big dogs might bite the little dogs other eye out. We leave the keys in everything and have no issues. Only 3-4 cars a day drive by and on the weekends we might get a SxS or two. The neighbor and I own both sides of the road now so nobody can move in for 1/4 mile either way, hopefully it'll stay that way. We've got a dopehead that lives on the backside of us but he's harmless enough and I've got my bluff in on him.

Oh yea we do think one of the guys up the way from us is growing dope down our road somewhere. He comes in on the weekends and slow rolls past our house on his 4 wheeler. Kinda fun to have something to talk about anyway.

It's easy out our way. Our biggest threat is that one of the big dogs might bite the little dogs other eye out. We leave the keys in everything and have no issues. Only 3-4 cars a day drive by and on the weekends we might get a SxS or two. The neighbor and I own both sides of the road now so nobody can move in for 1/4 mile either way, hopefully it'll stay that way. We've got a dopehead that lives on the backside of us but he's harmless enough and I've got my bluff in on him.

Oh yea we do think one of the guys up the way from us is growing dope down our road somewhere. He comes in on the weekends and slow rolls past our house on his 4 wheeler. Kinda fun to have something to talk about anyway.
You will know if he is growing with a decent wind. It's hard to hide.

Its legal to grow for personal use here but those aren't the people that causes problems. The meth heads are a different story.
Sure wish we didnt have to lock everything.
I keep everything locked even the outbuildings. If i stop at the store or go to the stockyard my truck is locked.

We live off the road and have signs warning of bad dogs. This guy is now massive with a mastiff/pit/rott bite.. Over 100 pounds and a snapping turtle mouth. A little lazy, but, will run to the front of the house when he hears something driving up. Fedx came all the way to the house, luckily i was home to keep her from getting out. Not sure why people dont honor bad dog signs, and the one that says, Do not enter.. But, they sometimes do. His pitty looking brother is big too, but not as big but is fast.

1688334936101.png

You will know if he is growing with a decent wind. It's hard to hide.
Never know. I've been giving my neighbor heck about it for 7-8 years now. He's got 30 acres down the road that covered in cedar tress. Nobody goes on it. I keep telling him ole boy has a enough Mary Jane growing on it for personal use.. 😆

Some people I knew really well in high school decided to do some "farming". "They" underestimated the aroma of these plants when they get close to harvest. It was a decent size plot. The "farm" was not far from the place I take care of. I was sitting on the porch with my boss and some other guys and all the sudden I got a strong smell. It was clear as day. Finally one of the guys was like... do yall smell weed? I just played dumb. 😄

The plot was almost a mile away. "They" ended up having to destroy it because some parents caught wind (literally) of it. 😆 It's funny now. It was pretty tense for a while at the time. "They" got lucky.

We live off the road and have signs warning of bad dogs. This guy is now massive with a mastiff/pit/rott bite.. Over 100 pounds and a snapping turtle mouth. A little lazy, but, will run to the front of the house when he hears something driving up. Fedx came all the way to the house, luckily i was home to keep her from getting out. Not sure why people dont honor bad dog signs, and the one that says, Do not enter.. But, they sometimes do. His pitty looking brother is big too, but not as big but is fast.

View attachment 32114
Y'all much for pits?

Y'all much for pits?
No.... We found these dogs, puppies at the time, dumped on the road. They were so cute. We had the DNA thing done on them and they are 1/3rd of the bad dogs, 2/3s good, pyre, border collie, lab, and such. 17 breeds total in the mix.. big one in picture is 3% yorkie, the pit looking one has 3% chihuahua (which does come out and can be bad in that badass body). THey are good dogs, smart. We keep them contained with a wireless fence. Before the wireless fence, we would have either put them down or given them away. Loose pit crosses are not good in any situation. But, they are contained and good guard dogs. In the wrong hands and let wander, they'd be dangerous. I just worry what will happen if someone wanders into the yard they dont know. I've worked with these guys from day one. We have had fights, but i keep bear spray handy when fighting breaks out. Pit one is the most of the trouble, and age is learning him that his much bigger sweeter brother can kick his butt. Pit one is more border collie when he fights, thank goodness, he goes for feet. The bigger one though, goes for the head and neck, he got the mastiff head. Bear spray though works great, i just need to make sure i'm upwind....lol.. We did have a calf get into the yard and they went ape. Chased him out of their boundary, big one holding on to a leg. He had a hold of this 300 pound calf across a large pasture until the cows chased him off. The calf had not a single mark on him. He did tear his ear on the fence, so at the time it looked really bad. Then one time a cat followed me into the yard, i was running to the house to get my purse and had no idea this cat followed me. So weird, they know the dogs boundaries. Anywhoot, the dogs of course tackled her, she bolted for the greenhouse where they broke their boundary again and when i got to them with a big stick, they were on top of this cat. Figured she'd be in shreds... but, she was unharmed. So strange. Mac could eat her in one bite. So, conclusion, they like to chase, they like to hold, but they dont like to kill... Things we avoid to keep the peace.... we chain them when we feed them... we leave no food out. No toys. We chain them when we work cows, that sometimes sets them off, that did with our older dogs too.. Neutered and now over a year old, i suspect over time they'll get lazy and fights will stop to just a few a year. I say this because the 2 old dogs we have, both female, would fight. One a hanging tree the other aussie/BC. They'd fight viciously, ripping skin and such. So i figure the same with these two, its just they are so much bigger and it looks frightening and sounds horrible. But, its been a while and if i can get it to just a couple times a year, i'll be happy with that. 1688385873433.png
He is confused, do i chase them, do i guard them, or do i eat them??? He will stand like this and just look at them.. no bark, nothing.. just watches them.
1688385810883.png

So, i told him to quit and leave. Now, you say you'd take care of it right then. This guy was bad,his gang was bad. Looked like the grim reaper. Was dark and dangerous. I was in my 20s, had 3 babies and my husband was out in the field from dawn to dusk. SO, i was there alone far away from anyone and we were lucky to have phone service. When husband got home, he did hunt him down and warned him to stay out of our yard. He was a bully and my husband doesnt back down to bullies and it was something this guy hadnt come across i guess. We had off and on trouble with him, but he never burned down anything like he threatened to do. He opened up a drug business on the land he got somehow down the road from us. The law chased a wanted guy living there with him behind our house with an assault rifle, they ended up killing him. In 2011, this guy took revenge on someone and set multiple fires that burned 100s of acres in that drought around us but nothing of ours. He went to prison for that where he died. Not sure who he was mad at. I was apparently behind him when he was setting them. Its good i didnt come face to face with him at that time, because i would not be here now. I was so close behind, i came across a fire he had just set that was the size of a dinner plate.. I dodged a bullet there, literally. He and his pack no longer rule this area. Things had been quiet for a long time until the 2011 fires. But as far as me doing anything other than did, confront him and tell him to leave was basically all i could do. I stood up to him and he left. Then i went and changed my drawers...lol.... when i say he was scary, mix up all the bad guys from all the western movies and thats what he looked like. He was very tall too, which made him even more menacing. Was always in black from head to toe.... he wanted to look bad.
Note.... creep decided to sell the land but said he would not sell it to us. We had a friend who wanted some land out here, so he made a bid on it but did not tell him he knew us. Friend got the land and that got rid of that mess and it has been quiet since, sep for the 2011 fires.
some people just need kill-in!

It's kind of crazy here too, drunks and dope heads form drugs of all kinds around.
Over 40 years ago when my parents built the house on the farm out here, my father said said they was a house just like it up the road somewhere because about all of the materials were stolen at least once, while the house was being built. Once our flatbed cattle truck was stolen. My parents had just gotten a load of feed, probably 100# sacks, the thieves unloaded the feed and made a ramp, they loaded the neighbors tractor on the truck and stole both of them. The police found the truck up in the mountains but never did find the tractor.
Over the years after the house was built and we were living out here, it was broken into many many times.
I've seen my father fire off some shots out the windows to scare people off that were prowling around.
Most of the time though the break ins occurred in broad daylight while my parents were at work and me at school.
I remember on Saturday we went to a cattle sale at a stockyards and came home to find a broken window and some things in the house missing.
Then after they retired and we were home more it seemed to stop.
I've always farmed so I've lived here and been pretty close around we had a pretty run where didn't miss anything, but several years ago thieves cut several of our fences to load up a neighbors four wheeler ( the same neighbor that had his tractor stolen years ago) they did find the four wheeler though.
In more recent years the stealing all around has increased due to drugs.
There's been some sizable drug busts close to us.
One of our properties is kind of isolated even though it's right off the road there is some cover by way of a hill, trees, and bushes. People are always coming back in there and likely making transactions.
We've had transient people go in the barn over there. Can tell when people have been around the cattle get real flighty. I've found random sticks in the barn that they likely used to chase cattle out with. On that farm I leave the barn doors open to part of the barn so the cattle are used to coming in when I need to load them out.
One time it took several days for the cattle to simmer down and go back in.
We keep gates locked, and twice at two different entrances people have tried to ram through the gates.
Just a few weeks ago we had 6 rolls of hay stolen, out of the field. That was my fault for leaving the gates unlocked for a few days so the guys putting up hay could get in the field because they left equipment there.
Next time around we'll have a key made for them.
We used to leave keys in about everything but no more. They steal mowers, SxS, trailers around here like crazy.
We have some good watchdogs that let us know if anything goes away n right around the house and barns. We have a lot of strange vehicles come through the yard, I think a lot of it is they are trying to find the aforementioned transaction point just up the road.
These dogs don't like anything coming into their territory and let us know, have two Blue Heeler Border Collie mixes that look innocent but are extremely protective. then we have a purebred Blue Heeler that stays inside with us especially at night, the outside dogs react if something happens outside then she relays the barking too, we keep some equalizers close by too.