What breeds??????

Help Support CattleToday:

another breed that speckles calves is british white/white park the calf in my avatars dam has a little in her and all of her cavles come out with spots.

Being Alberta the chance that it has any LH in it is extremely slim. Shorthorn yes and Red Angus, well pretty much every commercial animal up here has some kind of Angus in it. :lol:

Shorthorn X Charolais X RedAngus, maybe?: he's polled, and he's got that long shaggy winter coat like most char and red angus do...and he's not wild, thankfully.

I guess if he'd be LH he'd have some horn buds growing on him, and coming from an auction mart he could've come from anywhere; south or north.

He's an interesting one, that's for sure.

He doesn't look like a Longhorn to me but could easily come out polled with Longhorn coloring if one parent was polled. A friend of mine sold a polled heifer that was a cross out of a black baldy cow and a Peeler Longhorn bull. She is black and white spotted, polled and has the build of an Angus. I see this cow a couple of times a week when I go by the farm that bought her at the sale barn. They breed her to an Angus bull every year and it looks like they've kept her last two heifer calves. One is a black and white line back, polled. The other is black with a white brockle face and she is also polled. That would make her heifers 1/4 Longhorn. I would be willing to bet that these folks don't have a clue that the cow they bought at the sale barn is 1/2 Longhorn and was out of a huge, brindle, spotted Peeler bull.

I just wanted to pull this thread up again to post a pic (a much better one, IMO) of what he looks like with his summer coat on, and when he's a little more tamer than in the previous pics I posted on this thread.

DSCF0699.JPG

His belly and muzzle have that angus look to it...either RA or BA.[/img]

I agree with the shorthorn/ red angus cross. We have some red angus cows that have that short, fat neck and head like the calf in the picture.

i think you got yourself a shorthorn or shorthorn cross there. maybe shorthorn x maine anjou even.?

It could be that, beefy, or Speckle Park. I think if he would be shorty-cross he'd have more roan-colouration to him than that spotty pattern. But then again...it's hard to tell without looking at the dam and sire. I know for sure though that he's crossed with an Angus breed, I'm 95% sure it's Red.

Latest posts