what breed to cross longhorns with for best replacement

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well...heck(!) Piedmontese...Not being all that familiar with your breed, and making sure that 'I had shot my mouth off" before thinking (A trait that I am fully afflicted with)...I went and studied some on the Piedmontese'. "Shooting mouth" confirmed.

Okay, there is a breeder about 40 min from my place. What happens if I X my Bm bull with a Pied. ? They also have a buying program for the calves, so, I'm calling them tomorrow to get more info on these "Italians" :cowboy:

Don't know where you are located, but would enjoy visiting with you about your cattle...always willing to learn. If you are interested send me a PM on how to contact you. Or Not, I just want to learn all I can.

VanC":1qi2xfg6 said:
Does it make some of you feel better about yourselves to run down an entire breed? If so, you have some issues you need to deal with that have nothing to do with Longhorns.

Fact is there are folks out there making good money with Longhorns and others with great looking cattle in the more "mainstream" breeds that are losing money hand over fist. Bottom line is if you don't think Longhorns have a place in your operation then don't use the dam things. There are others that use them and are successful at it. Deal with it.
:nod: Well said! :clap:

piedmontese":3w0yejuz said:
Smokey Bull":3w0yejuz said:
Nothing like coming late to the conversation, but here is my "2 cents"...Been playing with the idea of crossing my BeefMstr bull with a Longhorn or 2. As I have said before, I am going for the hot carcass price. Overhead (lack thereof) is THE KEY to my operation. Most of this thread has only strengthened my position about the "cross" idea. Especially those pics above of the cross calves.

Mr. Bruno (and fellow Texan)...you seem to be focused on "wild coloring" as a detriment, yet, you quote Tom Laseter, who...created a breed that can qualify for the Rainbow Party with the variations in hide coloring that come out of 'em (some are spectacular colors)...(not trying to be disrespectful, but probably failed) :roll:
the pics of those LH x calves were sired by a piedmontese.that is where they r getting the muscle definition.your not gonna get that with a beefmaster.
Hey there! :wave: Are you talking about the picture I posted?? Cuz it is of calves that were the result of Piedmontese heifers bred to a Longhorn bull. Still looking for that other picture of the group on weaning day to post....

piedmontese":1l3rph8u said:
Smokey Bull":1l3rph8u said:
Nothing like coming late to the conversation, but here is my "2 cents"...Been playing with the idea of crossing my BeefMstr bull with a Longhorn or 2. As I have said before, I am going for the hot carcass price. Overhead (lack thereof) is THE KEY to my operation. Most of this thread has only strengthened my position about the "cross" idea. Especially those pics above of the cross calves.

Mr. Bruno (and fellow Texan)...you seem to be focused on "wild coloring" as a detriment, yet, you quote Tom Laseter, who...created a breed that can qualify for the Rainbow Party with the variations in hide coloring that come out of 'em (some are spectacular colors)...(not trying to be disrespectful, but probably failed) :roll:
the pics of those LH x calves were sired by a piedmontese.that is where they r getting the muscle definition.your not gonna get that with a beefmaster.
So the daddy is good....I'd like to see a pic of those calves with their LH mamas.

Hey there! :wave: Are you talking about the picture I posted?? Cuz it is of calves that were the result of Piedmontese heifers bred to a Longhorn bull. Still looking for that other picture of the group on weaning day to post....[/quote]

All the more reason to try crossing LH or Pied. cows with my current bull. Nice calves by the way :clap:

7 pages and not a word from TXBobcat, Running Arrow Bill, Ryan - and others.

Some of those folks who had all that expertise in cattle handling were just wranglers who got beat up by the choice of animal their employer ran.

Funny that every time I try to describe a medina gate, they used to jump in and post a pic. A pic with worth much more than words.

Don't know of one time anyone tried to cram LH breed down anyone's throat or insist to know exactly why everyone in the world did not get with the LH program.

7 pages now and those who seem to be most familiar with the breed have not weighed in to this thread. I hope they are sending pm's behind the scenes to answer legitimate questions.

Smokey Bull":2a6fzgfq said:
Well...heck(!) Piedmontese...Not being all that familiar with your breed, and making sure that 'I had shot my mouth off" before thinking (A trait that I am fully afflicted with)...I went and studied some on the Piedmontese'. "Shooting mouth" confirmed.

Okay, there is a breeder about 40 min from my place. What happens if I X my Bm bull with a Pied. ? They also have a buying program for the calves, so, I'm calling them tomorrow to get more info on these "Italians" :cowboy:

Don't know where you are located, but would enjoy visiting with you about your cattle...always willing to learn. If you are interested send me a PM on how to contact you. Or Not, I just want to learn all I can.
my beefmaster cows are with a piedmontese bull right now so i guess i will get to see some crosses.they were bred to an angus when i bought them and they sure had some nice calves.i only have 6 beefmaster cows but so far i got no complaints.i live n kansas.

Smokey Bull":3a61w16b said:
Hey there! :wave: Are you talking about the picture I posted?? Cuz it is of calves that were the result of Piedmontese heifers bred to a Longhorn bull. Still looking for that other picture of the group on weaning day to post....

All the more reason to try crossing LH or Pied. cows with my current bull. Nice calves by the way :clap:[/quote]

NO...he said his calves were sired by a Piedmongtese bull..not a LH...I wanted to see the LH cows with the calves.

I agree with everything VANC has said.Certain breeds do get belittled on here brahman is one.There are people on other boards here that like different varities of cattle alot of people that like brahman cattle I understand why they dont come here.I recall someone on here was looking for some Scottish highlanders .The same people slamming this longhorn topic was slamming the Scotties.Just the other day I heard there are alot of people crossing the highlanders with angus and brahman whatever and having alot of success.The point is these boards are alot like life away from these boards all black cattle on each side of the road pretty dang boring.I am most interested in people trying something different with cattle.I dare anyone to start a topic on corriente cattle .I will guarantee the next post says something like this.You dont want them horny looking critters me and my buddy Hank was trying to milk a corriente bull he kicked at us and horned us and then run through the fence.

bishopcattleco":3o734ddc said:
I agree with everything VANC has said.Certain breeds do get belittled on here brahman is one.There are people on other boards here that like different varities of cattle alot of people that like brahman cattle I understand why they dont come here.I recall someone on here was looking for some Scottish highlanders .The same people slamming this longhorn topic was slamming the Scotties.Just the other day I heard there are alot of people crossing the highlanders with angus and brahman whatever and having alot of success.The point is these boards are alot like life away from these boards all black cattle on each side of the road pretty dang boring.I am most interested in people trying something different with cattle.I dare anyone to start a topic on corriente cattle .I will guarantee the next post says something like this.You dont want them horny looking critters me and my buddy Hank was trying to milk a corriente bull he kicked at us and horned us and then run through the fence.

Now that's not fair. If you started a Corriente thread Alacowman would say they were good for roping and I would say that they are scumsucking pieces of s--t that should all be shot before any more of them decide to jump my fence and breed one of my registered cows and or gore my Angus Bull. Other than that I firmly believe that they are great little cattle.

backhoeboogie":2fj9344h said:

Some of those folks who had all that expertise in cattle handling were just wranglers who got beat up by the choice of animal their employer ran.

Funny that every time I try to describe a medina gate, they used to jump in and post a pic. A pic with worth much more than words.

Don't know of one time anyone tried to cram LH breed down anyone's throat or insist to know exactly why everyone in the world did not get with the LH program.

7 pages now and those who seem to be most familiar with the breed have not weighed in to this thread. I hope they are sending pm's behind the scenes to answer legitimate questions.

well said. one reason i posted here was because of old posts i found that ryan had commented on. looked like really knew what was talking about. thought someone like that with real experience would be smart to talk to. got some good advice in private messages but not from thsoe three.

They are good little cattle my buddy puts angus bulls on his corriente cattle.By weaning time the calves are not as big as his main black herd but he says he makes more end profit with his corrientes

Well...I've been reading all these posts with amusement...LOL. Anytime a Longhorn topic occurs, there are always those posters that can find nothing good about anything other their own breed or cross-breed. Possibly anyone of several things causes this, such as mis-information, general prejudice, or got some type of axe to grind due their own personality issues. As someone once said: "You don't elevate yourself by running down someone else".

That said,

I haven't a clue as to what "crosses" best with a Longhorn, since we only breed Longhorns to Longhorns (line-breeding and out-crossing). I do know, however, that the Longhorn genetics tend to be "fuel efficient," hardy in all weather conditions, easy-calving.

Those that classify the Longhorns as "funnel-butts", probably are primarily looking only at "skin deep" issues (perhaps as they do with their "wimmens"...lol.)

Granted, the Longhorn is a LEAN beef animal; however, there are many out there that are "heavy-bodied" and well-nourished...upto 1200 to 1400 lbs for females; and up to 2000 or 2200 lbs for bulls. While not everyone is obsessed with "Rump Roasts" (read between the lines as desired), the other 95% of the animal is still "pink on the inside". With our Nations epidemic with overweight people (kids and older) of somewhere in neighborhood of 65% of the population, and associated health problems, there are options. Let's not forget the fast food places that use high fat beef and other cholesterol enhancing additives and foods that also contribute to these issues.

While the Texas Longhorn can "survive" on sub-standard food, they will excell on excellent pasture, hay, and minerals. Few other breeds can function in weather ranging from sub-zero to tropical climates. And, Longhorns don't need heated barns or air conditioned houses.

Yes, there are Longhorns out there that will kill or maim you. There are also other breeds that will do the same. The bottom-line is responsible breeding for TEMPERAMENT, among other traits. A bad-arse Longhorn has only one destination: The Freezer or Slaughter House! The other 99.9% -- well you can "walk among them"! I'll walk among my Longhorns anyday before I'll do it with another breed or bovine or equine! If you mutually observe, interprete, and respond correctly to each other's body language...you'll be fine.

JMHO ;-)

Lon":nl360522 said:
one reason i posted here was because of old posts i found that ryan had commented on. looked like really knew what was talking about. thought someone like that with real experience would be smart to talk to. got some good advice in private messages but not from thsoe three.

Running Arrow Bill has a web site. Ryan - I am not sure about. Liked his posts too. TXBobcat works for a cattle company down close to Waco - Valley Mills I think.

One of my former freezer beef customers has asked me to get him a LH steer for the last 5 or so years. He had a heart attack. His doc (a city doc at that) is telling him the only beef he can have is LH. He is having a heck of a time finding it. Apparently heart Docs are advocating lean beef.

I have never owned a LH and can't be of much help.

backhoeboogie":2hnqmg8c said:

Boogie they are not bad cattle as for what God intended em to be, they have some traits that are amazing.
Being wild cattle in the Southwest and through natural selection only the toughest survived. I have never heard of one having calving difficulty. They are an absolute beatiful beast and part of our heritage here.
They are extremely efficent as well. They have some (bad traits) as well for the modern cattleman HORNS from he+ll, slow growth did I mention horns. To many breed the breed for the horns and have not been working on improving the growth. I wouldn't want to but if the calves grew as fast as mondern beef cattle you dehorn as calves, I have issues with dehorning. The buyers don't want to deal with the horns. I have eaten the beef and it is excellent.

Boogie your friend could eat limousin beef its lean, might be easier found. I have two friends both run longhorn cows bought them dirt cheap used Red limi and Char bulls weaned 550 to 650 calves. Maybe they just been lucky the last 15 years.

backhoeboogie":v853xplh said:
Lon":v853xplh said:
one reason i posted here was because of old posts i found that ryan had commented on. looked like really knew what was talking about. thought someone like that with real experience would be smart to talk to. got some good advice in private messages but not from thsoe three.

Running Arrow Bill has a web site. Ryan - I am not sure about. Liked his posts too. TXBobcat works for a cattle company down close to Waco - Valley Mills I think.

One of my former freezer beef customers has asked me to get him a LH steer for the last 5 or so years. He had a heart attack. His doc (a city doc at that) is telling him the only beef he can have is LH. He is having a heck of a time finding it. Apparently heart Docs are advocating lean beef.

I have never owned a LH and can't be of much help.
your friend could eat piedmontese beef.it is more healthy than LH.it is available for order on the internet,quite expensive but it will make his doc happy.

bishopcattleco":890fjl5q said:
dam bishop...you're a mind reader. Do you do magic too?? :mrgreen:

TexasBred":1uhhiwm5 said:
bishopcattleco":1uhhiwm5 said:
dam bishop...you're a mind reader. Do you do magic too?? :mrgreen:

ROFLMAO dang TB like to lost my dip on that one. Heck if we got mad everytime someone knocked a Brammer on here, we would keep a case of the red ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts