what breed to cross longhorns with for best replacement

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Red Bull Breeder":3n27qdqy said:
I have seen lots of LH cows wean 550 to 600lb calve form limi or char bulls.

That would make them 100 lbs. heavier at weaning than their mama down here. That would definitely be an improvement.

TexasBred":fq3tgllh said:
Red Bull Breeder":fq3tgllh said:

That would make them 100 lbs. heavier at weaning than their mama down here. That would definitely be an improvement.

Well down the road about two miles the longhorns are about 750 to 900lbs and when bred to char they wean an average of 500lbs seen it done many years

Northern Rancher":8pj8sm10 said:
That would be a good reality show "Ranch While You Can' give everybody a fixed amount of $-a chunk of ground-and you can run whatever you want-however you want to run it. After X amount of years the guy with the most equity gets to keep the whole deal.

I would watch it...... :cowboy:

Depends on your pasture situation. I run mostly brangus. Cattle . But I bought 200 acres 2 years ago .130 acres of witch was hard wood timber 70 acres plantation pines . We clear cut it . Put 50 long horns on it 6 months later . I've put out 15 bales all winter . Most of the time they won't eat it unless its real cold . Planning to put the dozer on the place this year . When its cleaned up they will go to the sale . Char. Bulls work well mostly solid calves so far . Only problem they only last about 2 months then I have to pull them to feed them .

As for replacement s I guess that depends on location. I know a guy that crossed brangus with longhorns and runs char. Bulls on the half blood cows. He sells 5 weight calves with out any dock unless they are colored up .cows do well on low quality pasture.

Well I see nothing has changed on here since last visited maybe two years ago? Kinda got tired of the armchair cowboys beating up everybody when something was posted about any breed of cattle that's not black but hey got bored for a minute so decided to pop back in. Of course I still have Longhorn cattle-around 300 head so I guess you could say I have a huge tax break or hobby or whatever these experts on here want to lable it as.

Anyway, 99% of my cattle are Longhorn and papered, but have a few crosses (Beefmaster x Longhorn) and by the way can't keep the heifers-have people waiting on them for replacement cows so that seems to work here in this area. But if you are maketing beef calves use a Charolais bull on Longhorn cows, yellow calves here bring every bit as much as blacks. I have a friend who is paying for a large farm with nothing but his calf crop every year. Polled Char bull on Longhorn cows. He's been getting $1.47 and up for 500 lb plus calves from this cross.

Oh yeah, with my hobby cattle I have just had three Angus breeders come get Longhorn bulls to breed their heifers to. Wonder why they can't breed em to their own kind? Well, it's been real. Ya'll take care.

Rustler9":14eiox8k said:
Well I see nothing has changed on here since last visited maybe two years ago? Kinda got tired of the armchair cowboys beating up everybody when something was posted about any breed of cattle that's not black but hey got bored for a minute so decided to pop back in. Of course I still have Longhorn cattle-around 300 head so I guess you could say I have a huge tax break or hobby or whatever these experts on here want to lable it as.

Anyway, 99% of my cattle are Longhorn and papered, but have a few crosses (Beefmaster x Longhorn) and by the way can't keep the heifers-have people waiting on them for replacement cows so that seems to work here in this area. But if you are maketing beef calves use a Charolais bull on Longhorn cows, yellow calves here bring every bit as much as blacks. I have a friend who is paying for a large farm with nothing but his calf crop every year. Polled Char bull on Longhorn cows. He's been getting $1.47 and up for 500 lb plus calves from this cross.

Oh yeah, with my hobby cattle I have just had three Angus breeders come get Longhorn bulls to breed their heifers to. Wonder why they can't breed em to their own kind? Well, it's been real. Ya'll take care.
that's a good question when folks were using LBW angus on first calvers... i guess they want em to be able send that first one out like a rocket ,hope they dont push to hard, be like a projectile

Rustler9":2j2y9sau said:

And thank you for blessing us with your presence. What a sexual intellectual. :mrgreen:

Texas Bred
And thank you for blessing us with your presence. What a sexual intellectual.
Not sure what you mean by that-must have hit home huh? But it's good to at least get something stirred up every now and again. :lol:

ALACOWMAN
that's a good question when folks were using LBW angus on first calvers... i guess they want em to be able send that first one out like a rocket ,hope they dont push to hard, be like a projectile

Three Longhorn bulls went to a father and son who have been breeding their black cattle for many years. They had tried a Longhorn bull in the past and were pleased that they didn't have to live outside with the heifers when calving-said they were tired of pulling calves and dragging heifers and calves off to the ditches for the buzzards. They kept he first longhorn bull for several years, he got old and they sold him. Decided to try another low birth weigth Angus-shopped around with the lowest EPD's they could find. Bred him on 25 heifers-thought everything was going to be ok. Says they pulled 22 out of 25 calves-lost some calves and a couple of the heifers. They said that's it-we're going back to breeding our heifers to a Longhorn-called and asked what I had to sell.

no offence to you are longhorn lets get that out of the way,,,, but this father and son . are maken some poor ass judgements in breeding are they seedstock producers?? do they do pelvic mesurements on their replacememts,,

ALACOWMAN":g19f4sr9 said:
no offence to you are longhorn lets get that out of the way,,,, but this father and son . are maken some poor ass judgements in breeding are they seedstock producers?? do they do pelvic mesurements on their replacememts,,

I agree ,There is no reason to have to use longhorns on heifers . We calved out 35 heifers the last two years and pulled one calf for size. They were AI bred to a Angus bull ( Bandwagon) cleaned up with a Simmental . The calf I pulled for size was an AI calf.

TexasBred":1ac1ny0e said:
Red Bull Breeder":1ac1ny0e said:

He must have grass?

Just jumped in on this thread (did NOT read all). I have nothing against someone raising LH - used to have a poster RYAN had EXCELLENT LH cattle. Where did he go????
Anyway, when I hear that there is a farm that used low BW Angus bulls & had to pull 22 out of 25 - my first thought says that logically, this farm did NOT raise his heifers out properly.
Anyone that NEEDS to use a LH bull to get calves out of their heifers, has a management problem.

I don't know anything about these heifers nor the bull used except what these folks told me. I did see a group of heifers that these LH bulls were going to be used on and they appeared to be growthy and plenty able to have a calf unassisted. These people have been in the black cattle business for a number of years. The heifers were Angus and Brangus. They seemed to feel that the person who had raised the bull had not been honest about the bull. I do remember as a kid we used Angus bulls on heifers and had no problems but I also remember Angus being alot smaller than they are nowadays. Seems like they jumped up in size almost overnight-kind of makes one wonder how that happened with straight Angus genetics.

Rustler9":2k4drn0b said:
They seemed to feel that the person who had raised the bull had not been honest about the bull. I do remember as a kid we used Angus bulls on heifers and had no problems but I also remember Angus being alot smaller than they are nowadays. Seems like they jumped up in size almost overnight-kind of makes one wonder how that happened with straight Angus genetics.

Sounds like the problem is with the Angus breeder not the Angus breed .........I think you will find dishonest breeders in all breeds even Longhorns.. :D :D :shock: :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts