what breed to cross longhorns with for best replacement

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
CKC1586":26ax0un7 said:
49.jpg

Don't know why that picture came thru so small.
Because that is a thumbnail. If you change thumb to medium most of the time that will fix it

Caustic Burno":2np10v4v said:
Black Coos":2np10v4v said:
I would use a Black Angus bull, knock the Horns off and color them black, here in the mid-south.

In the deep south a Black Brangus would be the ticket.

If I lived in open country with a thousands of ac. and I had a 1000 LH's cows ,I would use a Black ( angus,bal.,brangus) Bull for 2 gen. and then a Hereford. I think I could live with 3/4BA X 1/4 LH cows breed to a Hereford bull.....In 20 years, you would have most of the Full LH"S died off, and the 1/2 breeds cull hard. You could do the same thing with Holstiens, A 3/4 Shorthorn and 1/4 hol. grass fed 3 years and grained finished makes some good eating...

My point is start with the best cattle that you can buy, NOT the most $, The best...I reather have 5 good cows than 20 bad ones...

I think the LH's thing went 3 or 4 ways....
1. HORNS
2. Heifer Bulls (30-40 years ago)
3. We love them ( not as beef cattle but like Buffalo )
4. Ruged , tough cows that has a place where other cows would died, (now we got Brimmers) who needs them?

The best thing to cross a longhorn with is the salebarn.
:cowboy: ive seen em cross a fence with ease too

Does it make some of you feel better about yourselves to run down an entire breed? If so, you have some issues you need to deal with that have nothing to do with Longhorns.

Fact is there are folks out there making good money with Longhorns and others with great looking cattle in the more "mainstream" breeds that are losing money hand over fist. Bottom line is if you don't think Longhorns have a place in your operation then don't use the dam things. There are others that use them and are successful at it. Deal with it.

VanC said:
Does it make some of you feel better about yourselves to run down an entire breed? If so, you have some issues you need to deal with that have nothing to do with Longhorns.

Fact is there are folks out there making good money with Longhorns and others with great looking cattle in the more "mainstream" breeds that are losing money hand over fist. Bottom line is if you don't think Longhorns have a place in your operation then don't use the dam things. There are others that use them and are successful at it. Deal with it.[/quote] hey if they like em,, im a hog about em...

VanC":1xx00iyl said:

Fact is there are folks out there making good money with Longhorns and others with great looking cattle in the more "mainstream" breeds that are losing money hand over fist. Bottom line is if you don't think Longhorns have a place in your operation then don't use the dam things. There are others that use them and are successful at it. Deal with it.

I can see some out the window and at best they are novelty cattle. Most that run the breed as a tax break.
The breed was even lacking in the 19th century that is why Shanghi Pierce started importing the Brahman.
Now the breed can live off barb wire and briars and raise a calf. Now the hachet ass bovine has little to no value to buyers as it's growth potential has no attraction as feeders. If you could knock the horns off of them, get rid of the wild colors, the breed would have great potential in a crossbreeding system.

dun":2hmq86tl said:
Well I'm convinced. I'm gonna dump these crumby well muscled Red Angus and stock up on longhorns, maybe throw in a corriente or 2 just for spice
You'll need a lot more pasture dun...that'll be about a 1 for 4 swap you'll be doing.

TexasBred":3s9y36r7 said:
dun":3s9y36r7 said:
Well I'm convinced. I'm gonna dump these crumby well muscled Red Angus and stock up on longhorns, maybe throw in a corriente or 2 just for spice
You'll need a lot more pasture dun...that'll be about a 1 for 4 swap you'll be doing.
The other farm would be ideal. Nothing but 160 acres scrub and rocks. Haven;t gotten around to working on it yet so I could let them fix it for me.

dun":z2vueup7 said:
TexasBred":z2vueup7 said:
dun":z2vueup7 said:
The other farm would be ideal. Nothing but 160 acres scrub and rocks. Haven;t gotten around to working on it yet so I could let them fix it for me.
Great....whatever you do...don't feed the things...only differnce in the fed ones and the ones eaten the briar and barbwire CB talks about it about 15 lbs. after 90 days....most of the gain is horn.

I used longhorn cows when i first started.12 years ago,I still have some of those same cows.I give 400 each for heavy bred cows.Every year i had a live calf half charlois 500 lbs.On average 1.00 to 1.20 everytime I sold calves.IF I would have bought any other breed for 900 to 1000 dollars what would the same outcome be ?Take longer to pay the cow off.I really dont know where i would be today without longhorns. I wouldnt be as far down the road as i am today.My momma always told me if you aint got nothing good to say shut your mouth.Thanks longhorns.

You ain't the only one around here that has used the longhorn that away Bishop. Its what you got when the bills are all payed that counts.

ALACOWMAN":1zkvswvp said:
my mother told me to tell the truth too,,, and ive seen plenty of em jump the fence

Well its the truth, lawyer bought the place to mine and is "cattle ranching" they have no problem with a 5 strand fence to get to a bale of my hay. It's like haveing a herd a deer next door.

Red Bull Breeder":1kor19sd said:
Seen plenty of all breeds jump fences alleybam. Them longeared breeds seem to do just fine at that to.
ive seen em do it to, even had some that could crawl under em as well, be lying if i said i didnt.. but moma told me not to
:cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":287qtpaf said:
my mother told me to tell the truth too,,, and ive seen plenty of em jump the fence
I can see from these boards you listened to every word she said.Telling other people there sh.t is sorry.Man, thats something to be proud of.Who on these boards has never seen a cow jump a fence.

bishopcattleco":3noxb8et said:
I can see from these boards you listened to every word she said.Telling other people there sh.t is sorry.Man, thats something to be proud of.Who on these boards has never seen a cow jump a fence.
Not a lot different than listening to people talk politics. People have a right to their opinion. Just where do you think we would be if we could not voice those opinions?

you know im thinking of using longhorns to start out right now. reason for it is exactly as one person has said. if can get them for 400 than makes alot more sense to me than 1300. for gettin started. i was real hesitant on asking on here about starting with them myself but glad i did cause have got some pretty goodd advice so far. and to everyone saying them longhorns aint worth nuthing well i say were your at might be true but bring thim big eared cattle up here for our winter and ill show you some pretty poor cattle come spring. i know cause got a uncle form oklahoma that did it. but i dont see anyone here up north talking bout how poor of cattle they are cause ya just cant winter them. everything in my opinion has its place wiehter or not you like them.

Caustic Burno":3lu0k0vj said:
ALACOWMAN":3lu0k0vj said:

Well its the truth, lawyer bought the place to mine and is "cattle ranching" they have no problem with a 5 strand fence to get to a bale of my hay. It's like haveing a herd a deer next door.

Best fence jumping bull we have owned to date was a Longhorn bull, he could clear a 4 strand fence from the bottom of a three foot ditch with ease. At least we never had to repair the fence. Some Angus bulls we own just plow through them and break wires and posts. :cboy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts