what breed to cross longhorns with for best replacement

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Northern Rancher":2n0c7ya8 said:
Breed them right-sell them on the rail-thsat's where the true value of cattle is discovered. Emotion, commotion, hype, myth, biases and loyalties peel off with the hide.

When you can't give them away that should show you the value...or lack of it.

i myself am thinking of startin a herd and longhorns were what i was thinking of cause of the lower startup cost. had same questions myself only was wondering more about longhorn saler cross with the goal of replacement heifers for keeping myself.

TexasBred":a5svrggu said:
You can buy longhorn pair down this area for $300-325 so I guess you could say low start up cost would be an advantage...until market time.
go pick me a couple pot loads up for $325
I have buyers lined up and I will be smiling all the way to the bank
it don't take much to pay for a $325 cow with their calves bring only $10-15 cwt behind beef calves
and if crossed right those calves will till make the scales drop
I know a guy that has 20-30 hd and them crossbred LH calves will weigh the same at sale time with his strait beef calves and I have seen how he runs his cows
the LH's are on a No input program other than salt and mineral and lots of brush and a little grass
the bef cows are on his best farm and they get the best hay he has and the LH's get the scrub hay

I have no problem with longhorn cows when we had our roping stock we were breeding 150 LH cows a yr and when we decided to get out of the roping business we started breeding those LH's to beef bulls and we dang sure never lost any money on them cows or their calves

Texas Bred never had any trouble selling LHX cattle as fats. A roped out rodeo calf is a different deal than a 1300 lb finished c rossbred steer.

Northern Rancher":3kzw8vyn said:
Texas Bred never had any trouble selling LHX cattle as fats. A roped out rodeo calf is a different deal than a 1300 lb finished c rossbred steer.
:nod: :nod:
we would get our roping steers to around 8-900lbs after we finsihed roping them and turned them out on pasture and then we would haul them strait to a kill plant because they sure weren't going to be much good for anything but baloney and we sure wasn't going to put any money into them
they didn't even make good hamburger
but as NR said a cross bred is a whole different deal

i would like to see what kind of replacement heifers you would get if you use an aubrac or murry gray bull on those longhorns. then came back with a char for your terminal cross

To add muscle to an F1 longhorn calf sure isn't the most difficult thing to do, but will the longhorn cow have enough milk to raise the calf well enough to express his rectified conformation?

last spring i sold a piedmontese bull to a guy that was gonna put him on some longhorns.i will see if i can get some pics of some calves from him if he has some that hav calved.if i can figure out how to post.

Angus Cowman":ug0gsgab said:
TexasBred":ug0gsgab said:
You can buy longhorn pair down this area for $300-325 so I guess you could say low start up cost would be an advantage...until market time.
go pick me a couple pot loads up for $325
I have buyers lined up and I will be smiling all the way to the bank
it don't take much to pay for a $325 cow with their calves bring only $10-15 cwt behind beef calves
and if crossed right those calves will till make the scales drop
I know a guy that has 20-30 hd and them crossbred LH calves will weigh the same at sale time with his strait beef calves and I have seen how he runs his cows
the LH's are on a No input program other than salt and mineral and lots of brush and a little grass
the bef cows are on his best farm and they get the best hay he has and the LH's get the scrub hay

I have no problem with longhorn cows when we had our roping stock we were breeding 150 LH cows a yr and when we decided to get out of the roping business we started breeding those LH's to beef bulls and we dang sure never lost any money on them cows or their calves

Send the money buddy and you got'em. :lol2: Can only speak for this neck of the woods but down here their calves are about 50% of what a good beef calf brings.

Northern Rancher":1pt3mub3 said:
Key word is LHX...and several generations down the line. I'm talking "longhorns". The pic you showed was what?? 1/4 longhorn on the cow and 1/8 on the calf?? Should do well...the farther away you can get from the LH the better.

There are more then a few Ranches around here that have used LH on their heifers for years and they swear by them. Our neighbors run Hereford cows with a bit of Simmie mixed in and they have used LH bulls on their heifers for 20 years now.

There is a Longhorn breeder south of here they run a large herd of commercial Hereford and baldy cows also but they have been selling LH bulls for years, the majority go to guys to breed heifers.

They are a niche breed for sure but still here, if they were totally worthless they wouldn't still be around.

I've sold quite a few Charolais bulls to longhorn owners. They say they help knock the spots off and the horns ( if using a polled bull). I don't know about keeping replacements, but these breeders tell me it helps at the salebarn...

deenranch":bougmsc5 said:
I've sold quite a few Charolais bulls to longhorn owners. They say they help knock the spots off and the horns ( if using a polled bull). I don't know about keeping replacements, but these breeders tell me it helps at the salebarn...

That's what guys do here also.

Dylan Biggs":1kplnzm6 said:
ALACOWMAN":1kplnzm6 said:
not that theres some benefit to using a longhorn cow,, but wouldnt use a longhorn bull to open up some good beef heifer

Pretty hard to use a Longhorn cow! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
you know what i meant.. dont twist it into something its not :cowboy:

We've used blk angus bulls on our LH's for several years, and the crosses are some of my fav cows now. They are super easy calvers, good milkers, a good mix of mild disposition but protective mothering instincts, and they keep their condition much easier than the all-beef gals. They're not big butted for sure, but their calves that are only 1/4 LH are usually indestinguishable from the all-beef calves in the pasture. "Usually" meaning one or two exceptions most years.
We used a red angus bull last year, and the calves have a whole lot more LH marking than they did with the blk bulls (some solid blk, some mostly blk, a few loud markings was typical). Most of this year's are marked just like their mamas, which will kill the price they'll fetch if run through the sale. I suspect we'll feed them for direct mkt freezer beef.

farmwriter":3hnryiqs said:
We've used blk angus bulls on our LH's for several years, and the crosses are some of my fav cows now. They are super easy calvers, good milkers, a good mix of mild disposition but protective mothering instincts, and they keep their condition much easier than the all-beef gals. They're not big butted for sure, but their calves that are only 1/4 LH are usually indestinguishable from the all-beef calves in the pasture. "Usually" meaning one or two exceptions most years.
We used a red angus bull last year, and the calves have a whole lot more LH marking than they did with the blk bulls (some solid blk, some mostly blk, a few loud markings was typical). Most of this year's are marked just like their mamas, which will kill the price they'll fetch if run through the sale. I suspect we'll feed them for direct mkt freezer beef.

Like some say, get the hide off them and their all "CAB". :lol2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts