what breed to cross longhorns with for best replacement

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dylan Biggs":1sljs5px said:
Caustic Burno":1sljs5px said:
ALACOWMAN":1sljs5px said:
my mother told me to tell the truth too,,, and ive seen plenty of em jump the fence

Well its the truth, lawyer bought the place to mine and is "cattle ranching" they have no problem with a 5 strand fence to get to a bale of my hay. It's like haveing a herd a deer next door.

Best fence jumping bull we have owned to date was a Longhorn bull, he could clear a 4 strand fence from the bottom of a three foot ditch with ease. At least we never had to repair the fence. Some Angus bulls we own just plow through them and break wires and posts. :cboy:
thats so they can whip the neighbors bull ass and breed his cows, insult to injury ... dam angus bulls or scrappers, the little bull i got now will whip anything that looks at him cross eyed and nearly twice his size

[/u] thats so they can whip the neighbors bull ass and breed his cows, insult to injury ... dam angus bulls or scrappers, the little bull i got now will whip anything that looks at him cross eyed and nearly twice his size[/quote] :lol2:

Lon":2y5ynweu said:
you know im thinking of using longhorns to start out right now. reason for it is exactly as one person has said. if can get them for 400 than makes alot more sense to me than 1300. for gettin started. i was real hesitant on asking on here about starting with them myself but glad i did cause have got some pretty goodd advice so far. and to everyone saying them longhorns aint worth nuthing well i say were your at might be true but bring thim big eared cattle up here for our winter and ill show you some pretty poor cattle come spring. i know cause got a uncle form oklahoma that did it. but i dont see anyone here up north talking bout how poor of cattle they are cause ya just cant winter them. everything in my opinion has its place wiehter or not you like them.
you pay the shipping

Lon":3jtch1hp said:
you know im thinking of using longhorns to start out right now. reason for it is exactly as one person has said. if can get them for 400 than makes alot more sense to me than 1300. for gettin started. i was real hesitant on asking on here about starting with them myself but glad i did cause have got some pretty goodd advice so far. and to everyone saying them longhorns aint worth nuthing well i say were your at might be true but bring thim big eared cattle up here for our winter and ill show you some pretty poor cattle come spring. i know cause got a uncle form oklahoma that did it. but i dont see anyone here up north talking bout how poor of cattle they are cause ya just cant winter them. everything in my opinion has its place wiehter or not you like them.
It is not the initial cost that you should be considering. You need to figure what you will be able to market the calves for.
I have a friend that has cattle in west Texas. He says after he went to cows with 1/4 longhorn he does a lot better. I raised Brahman. Although I did everything I could to make sure I was raising a better product, beef wise, the steers took a major hit at the sale. I made up for it on the heifers. Longhorns are a different story. You will take a hit on the heifers also. What I see happening with the Longhorn breeders is them coxing the city farmers into it (yard art) so they can market them. Otherwise they just sell to each other if they are going to get a decent price. I have herd a few claim they are breeding for the meat but my feeling is that if they were serious about the beef the first thing they would do is get rid of those horns so they could be worked in normal facilities. If I were you I would first check my market.
As far as jumpers are concerned the worst I have ever seen were Brangus. Going through the fence were Angus. I've only seen a Longhorn jump once. We have an awful lot of Longhorns around here but have never seen one out on the road. Sure have seen a lot of other breeds though.
PS If anybody thinks I'm standing up for them, Wrong. I think they have a very limited use for cross breeding purposes. Other than that they are yard art. It costs to much to grow them out to make them economically feasible as a serious beef animal. (As a general rule)

same here, if anybody thinks im running em down....wrong. i dont care what folks raise just dont pi$$ down my leg and tell me its raining :cowboy:

VanC":1otb66fj said:
Does it make some of you feel better about yourselves to run down an entire breed? If so, you have some issues you need to deal with that have nothing to do with Longhorns.

Fact is there are folks out there making good money with Longhorns and others with great looking cattle in the more "mainstream" breeds that are losing money hand over fist. Bottom line is if you don't think Longhorns have a place in your operation then don't use the dam things. There are others that use them and are successful at it. Deal with it.
Easy turbo, now let's just relax. Have a seat in the recliner, breathe deep, now take some blood pressure medicine. I'm gonna let you in on a little secret, this is an Internet chat forum. Any one you go to is the same, all kinds of folks that voice their opinions. Not much you can do about it unless you have perfected the "online uppercut". No need in getting worked up about a bunch of people you will never meet.

Isomade":1bv6wl6c said:
VanC":1bv6wl6c said:
Does it make some of you feel better about yourselves to run down an entire breed? If so, you have some issues you need to deal with that have nothing to do with Longhorns.

Fact is there are folks out there making good money with Longhorns and others with great looking cattle in the more "mainstream" breeds that are losing money hand over fist. Bottom line is if you don't think Longhorns have a place in your operation then don't use the dam things. There are others that use them and are successful at it. Deal with it.
Easy turbo, now let's just relax. Have a seat in the recliner, breathe deep, now take some blood pressure medicine. I'm gonna let you in on a little secret, this is an Internet chat forum. Any one you go to is the same, all kinds of folks that voice their opinions. Not much you can do about it unless you have perfected the "online uppercut". No need in getting worked up about a bunch of people you will never meet.

An internet chat forum? Really? I'd have never guessed that. Well that changes everything, doesn't it? Ok, you're right. The next time someone asks advice about Longhorns I want all you "real cattlemen" to jump on 'em with both feet. Don't even think about giving them any advice or, God forbid, saying nothing if you have no advice to give. Nope. Get in there and voice your opinions in the most demeaning way you can think of. Belittle them. Make them feel small and unimportant. Saddle up that posse and ride. After all, that's what an internet chat forum is for. Right?

novatech":146o186k said:
It is not the initial cost that you should be considering. You need to figure what you will be able to market the calves for.
I have a friend that has cattle in west Texas. #1 He says after he went to cows with 1/4 longhorn he does a lot better. I raised Brahman. Although I did everything I could to make sure I was raising a better product, beef wise, the steers took a major hit at the sale. I made up for it on the heifers. Longhorns are a different story. You will take a hit on the heifers also. What I see happening with the Longhorn breeders is them coxing the city farmers into it (yard art) so they can market them. Otherwise they just sell to each other if they are going to get a decent price. #2 I have herd a few claim they are breeding for the meat but my feeling is that if they were serious about the beef the first thing they would do is get rid of those horns so they could be worked in normal facilities. If I were you I would first check my market.
#3 As far as jumpers are concerned the worst I have ever seen were Brangus. Going through the fence were Angus. I've only seen a Longhorn jump once. We have an awful lot of Longhorns around here but have never seen one out on the road. Sure have seen a lot of other breeds though.
PS If anybody thinks I'm standing up for them, Wrong. I think they have a very limited use for cross breeding purposes. Other than that they are yard art. It costs to much to grow them out to make them economically feasible as a serious beef animal. (As a general rule)

#1 I'm not sure what you mean. He does better than what in what way? Just curious.

#2 As to the de-horning part, we do on everything born here that isn't polled (we're crossbreeding, so it's a victory to me if the bull can manage to dehorn them before they get here.) Now the 1st generation girls that had big horns when they got here get to keep them. I can barely stand it when the young uns are dehorned. Nastiest job on our place, imo.
And I'm not trying to say they're the biggest, most beautiful cows on the place, but so far, I'm really pleased with the mothering we're getting from the LHx cows. They clean up scraggly growth the beef gals won't touch, and they stay in great condition while raising healthy calves.

#3 Several years back when we did have a LH bull, he used to jump the fence onto the neighbor's place and beat the crap out of his dirt-old Angus bull on a regular basis. And I'm the kind of person who's embarrased by that sort of thing. Bad behavior isn't funny to me, and I got real tired of fixing/replacing the top strand of fence after he was back on our side. One of the reasons he didn't get to stay.

Don't misunderstand me. I agree that as you said they have "limited use for crossbreeding" but they can work. The first crop of calves they had nearly covered what we paid for them, so they have been pretty lucrative for us over the years.

VanC":s3rwohbp said:
Isomade":s3rwohbp said:
VanC":s3rwohbp said:

An internet chat forum? Really? I'd have never guessed that. Well that changes everything, doesn't
it? Ok, you're right. The next time someone asks advice about Longhorns I want all you "real cattlemen" to jump on 'em with both feet. Don't even think about giving them any advice or, God forbid, saying nothing if you have no advice to give. Nope. Get in there and voice your opinions in the most demeaning way you can think of. Belittle them. Make them feel small and unimportant. Saddle up that posse and ride. After all, that's what an internet chat forum is for. Right?
All I'm telling you Van is that you aren't going to change it. No need in getting that worked up. Most probably don't think they are being mean. My brother is looking at getting in to cattle, if he asks me what I think he should cross longhorns with I will reply "a 30-06 bullet" because he can do better starting out smaller and holding back heifers with another breed to keep from going into debt. Now that is my opinion, doesn't mean it's right it's just my opinion for our area and what I know the calves bring here. The purpose of posting a question is to get others opinions. I don't think Longhorns are worthless, but for future profit considerations I think another choice would be better.

trin":2y96rwzo said:
i know longhorns r not liked much on here but if you was going to get some replacements heifers what breed would you use and why?
I've followed this thread loosely and I think you got some good advice. Here is my 2 cents and experience. My first question was what kind of grass have you got at your place? It takes as much to feed a good cow as a poor one. My buddy bought what had to have been the world's ugliest longhorn heifer last year. She cost less than 400.00. She dropped her calf with no help and brought back just as much I think if not more when he sold her last month. She was ugly. She did not put up with dogs too much. We never had a problem with a coyote while she was there. I think they do make nice yard art but if your trying to make money and have grass you might consider some other breed.

My advice would be to not mess with the LH. Around here ropers use them and people needing the ag exemption for their land run them on their property. Mainly because one of their better traits is taht they can basically live on nothing and that's what they have to do with these folks. If one gets sick and dies that's fine. It's a small write off and can be replace for $300. If they breed..fine...some don't even ahve bulls running with them. No real need...the calves look like spotted rabbits and are worthless except to perpetuate the breed. if you get a bull...cut him..he'll grow big horns and really look pretty out by the highway. Some other longhorn breeder might buy him just for the horns. Now if you can sell them private treaty you might find a sucker and hit a home run but on the market...Worthless.

No offense intended.. Just what I have observed about the LH in my area.

Isomade":2o9bhfx0 said:
All I'm telling you Van is that you aren't going to change it. No need in getting that worked up. Most probably don't think they are being mean. My brother is looking at getting in to cattle, if he asks me what I think he should cross longhorns with I will reply "a 30-06 bullet" because he can do better starting out smaller and holding back heifers with another breed to keep from going into debt. Now that is my opinion, doesn't mean it's right it's just my opinion for our area and what I know the calves bring here. The purpose of posting a question is to get others opinions. I don't think Longhorns are worthless, but for future profit considerations I think another choice would be better.

Fair enough. Time to let it go. But I will say one last thing:

There used to be 4 or 5 Longhorn breeders that posted here pretty regularly. They seemed like fine people. They were always gracious and quick with helpful advice and I never once saw them run anyone else's operation down or look down on someone because they were a "newbie". Yes, I guess you could say they raised "lawn ornaments" since they bred for horns and hide for the most part. But, as far as I could tell they loved what they were doing, they made money at it, and they worked as hard as anyone else at it. Nothing wrong with that in my book. Yet dam near every time they talked about their cattle someone would have to pop up and tell them how worthless and ugly Longhorns were. I just don't see any sense in that. I guess it just came to a head in this thread.

Anyway, these Longhorn breeders don't post much anymore, if at all. I don't know why they left, but if it's because of all the crap they took then I say that's a shame. But that's the way it is. Good ones leave and good ones take their place. Same with troublemakers. It's a never ending cycle.

Heck, I don't know the first thing about Longhorns and I never will. I'll leave that you you folks. It's the constant belittling that put the hair up my butt. So that's it. I'm done with this thread. No hard feelings towards anyone on my part.

Nothing like coming late to the conversation, but here is my "2 cents"...Been playing with the idea of crossing my BeefMstr bull with a Longhorn or 2. As I have said before, I am going for the hot carcass price. Overhead (lack thereof) is THE KEY to my operation. Most of this thread has only strengthened my position about the "cross" idea. Especially those pics above of the cross calves.

Mr. Bruno (and fellow Texan)...you seem to be focused on "wild coloring" as a detriment, yet, you quote Tom Laseter, who...created a breed that can qualify for the Rainbow Party with the variations in hide coloring that come out of 'em (some are spectacular colors)...(not trying to be disrespectful, but probably failed) :roll:

Smokey Bull":hgj9ugtk said:
Nothing like coming late to the conversation, but here is my "2 cents"...Been playing with the idea of crossing my BeefMstr bull with a Longhorn or 2. As I have said before, I am going for the hot carcass price. Overhead (lack thereof) is THE KEY to my operation. Most of this thread has only strengthened my position about the "cross" idea. Especially those pics above of the cross calves.

Mr. Bruno (and fellow Texan)...you seem to be focused on "wild coloring" as a detriment, yet, you quote Tom Laseter, who...created a breed that can qualify for the Rainbow Party with the variations in hide coloring that come out of 'em (some are spectacular colors)...(not trying to be disrespectful, but probably failed) :roll:
the pics of those LH x calves were sired by a piedmontese.that is where they r getting the muscle definition.your not gonna get that with a beefmaster.

Well, I reckon I'll give it try, anyhow. Not sure why you say that since BM's were bred for muscle.

VanC":8b3ntftb said:

There used to be 4 or 5 Longhorn breeders that posted here pretty regularly. They seemed like fine people. They were always gracious and quick with helpful advice and I never once saw them run anyone else's operation down or look down on someone because they were a "newbie". Yes, I guess you could say they raised "lawn ornaments" since they bred for horns and hide for the most part. But, as far as I could tell they loved what they were doing, they made money at it, and they worked as hard as anyone else at it. Nothing wrong with that in my book. Yet dam near every time they talked about their cattle someone would have to pop up and tell them how worthless and ugly Longhorns were. I just don't see any sense in that. I guess it just came to a head in this thread.

Anyway, these Longhorn breeders don't post much anymore, if at all. I don't know why they left, but if it's because of all the crap they took then I say that's a shame. But that's the way it is. Good ones leave and good ones take their place. Same with troublemakers. It's a never ending cycle.

Heck, I don't know the first thing about Longhorns and I never will. I'll leave that you you folks. It's the constant belittling that put the hair up my butt. So that's it. I'm done with this thread. No hard feelings towards anyone on my part.

Well put VanC! :tiphat:
Cattlemen in general should be able to appreciate the enjoyment other cattlemen get from their cattle, regardless of the breed.

Dylan Biggs":1qfpo8od said:
VanC":1qfpo8od said:

Well put VanC! :tiphat:
Cattlemen in general should be able to appreciate the enjoyment other cattlemen get from their cattle, regardless of the breed.
Just as other should be free to voice their opinions from their own direct and indirect experience

Smokey Bull":20ytodu4 said:
Well, I reckon I'll give it try, anyhow. Not sure why you say that since BM's were bred for muscle.
beefmaster may or may not have been bred for muscle but they dont have close to the amount of muscle that a piedmontese does.piedmontese is a double muscled animal and when crossed it will always pass that on.i have a few beefmaster cows and like them but have never noticed them to b any more muscular than other breeds.good luck n your x exp i hope it works out well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts