what breed to cross longhorns with for best replacement

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
TexasBred":24kvx55b said:
Like some say, get the hide off them and their all "CAB". :lol2:
I was having lunch @ a burger joint with some friends once, and an older fella in the bunch said "I think I'll stroll around and see how many people are saying, 'Mmmmm! Boy, you can really taste the Angus in here!' "
I thought I would fall of my chair I laughed so hard!

ALACOWMAN":2ujbb1ld said:
Dylan Biggs":2ujbb1ld said:
ALACOWMAN":2ujbb1ld said:
not that theres some benefit to using a longhorn cow,, but wouldnt use a longhorn bull to open up some good beef heifer

Pretty hard to use a Longhorn cow! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
you know what i meant.. dont twist it into something its not :cowboy:

It was worth a chuckle at least. :cboy:

-25 F here this morning, need a chuckle to get motivated to get out the door. :cboy:

TexasBred":3ff9mfue said:
You can buy longhorn pair down this area for $300-325 so I guess you could say low start up cost would be an advantage...until market time.
i will gladly but some LH pairs for $325/let me know where they r at.

We have kind of a niche market out here for LHX by low input Angus bulls. Some country out here is a hybrid of steep and verticle and the longhorns and a few select strains of angus do pretty well with it. They'll outgain "good" cattle on those places.

cow pollinater":3bcj6rin said:
We have kind of a niche market out here for LHX by low input Angus bulls. Some country out here is a hybrid of steep and verticle and the longhorns and a few select strains of angus do pretty well with it. They'll outgain "good" cattle on those places.

Thanks for making the point that "good" is quite often relative to a number of factors that varies on every place and in every location. No recipe suits all. The list of variables that define what "works" on one place and in one location is a long one. Just travel down the road a few miles and you can find different breeds , calving seasons, pasture management, enterprise mix, marketing strategies, personal preferences, labor resources, etc, etc. Go half way across the country and the list of reasons for different management strategies grows a lot.
Anyone who assumes they have a nation wide, one approach fits all recipe on what works is delusional. :tiphat:

piedmontese":ca7es7d5 said:
last spring i sold a piedmontese bull to a guy that was gonna put him on some longhorns.i will see if i can get some pics of some calves from him if he has some that hav calved.if i can figure out how to post.
Sure would like to see those pictures! My brother tried something and is happy with the result. He has a Longhorn bull he puts on his Pied heifers, first crop was last year and he is happy with not having to assist even one heifer. Now he is at the point of seeing how they finish/and quality of the beef. Don't mean to hijack this thread.... I'll try to get the picture of a couple of them to post...

I would use a Black Angus bull, knock the Horns off and color them black, here in the mid-south.

In the deep south a Black Brangus would be the ticket.

If I lived in open country with a thousands of ac. and I had a 1000 LH's cows ,I would use a Black ( angus,bal.,brangus) Bull for 2 gen. and then a Hereford. I think I could live with 3/4BA X 1/4 LH cows breed to a Hereford bull.....In 20 years, you would have most of the Full LH"S died off, and the 1/2 breeds cull hard. You could do the same thing with Holstiens, A 3/4 Shorthorn and 1/4 hol. grass fed 3 years and grained finished makes some good eating...

My point is start with the best cattle that you can buy, NOT the most $, The best...I reather have 5 good cows than 20 bad ones...

I think the LH's thing went 3 or 4 ways....
1. HORNS
2. Heifer Bulls (30-40 years ago)
3. We love them ( not as beef cattle but like Buffalo )
4. Ruged , tough cows that has a place where other cows would died, (now we got Brimmers) who needs them?

CKC1586":34frfeag said:
piedmontese":34frfeag said:
last spring i sold a piedmontese bull to a guy that was gonna put him on some longhorns.i will see if i can get some pics of some calves from him if he has some that hav calved.if i can figure out how to post.
Sure would like to see those pictures! My brother tried something and is happy with the result. He has a Longhorn bull he puts on his Pied heifers, first crop was last year and he is happy with not having to assist even one heifer. Now he is at the point of seeing how they finish/and quality of the beef. Don't mean to hijack this thread.... I'll try to get the picture of a couple of them to post...
i have been trying to get ahold of the guy but no luck yet.i used a saler bull on my pied heifers,no baby's yet but in a couple months.i also put a pied bull on some of my saler cows,they also will calve n march/april.is the little pic u posted the LH/pied calves? if so wow that went real well.

Angus Cowman":1nzaeewj said:
Black Coos":1nzaeewj said:
I would use a Black Angus bull, knock the Horns off and color them black, here in the mid-south.

quote]
Angus WON'T turn them Black or stop them from being wild colored

Agreed, with first hand experience. Some will be black if the mother is solid color especially if she is black or red, some lineback if the mother had more solid areas of color and if the mother is really spotted the calf could be very wild colored.

Nope but if you do it 3 or 4 gen. I bet they will get closer to black and Angus looking....

Black Coos":1c8vfke0 said:
Nope but if you do it 3 or 4 gen. I bet they will get closer to black and Angus looking....
I know of some 3/4 angus and 1/4 LH cows and their offspring will still come out with the white on them about 80% of the time and some of the cows are solid black and some are red or brown
there isn't a pattern to what color the calves will be is kinda a crap shoot but he also has some 3/4 char and 1/4 LH that throw all solid calves when bred to either a limi or Angus
that LH marking is hard to break with black
I think Randi or one of the others posted a thread about the wild color gene on here before

Black Coos":1xmk8tpr said:
Might start developing an ass as well. :lol:

TexasBred":2vt9as6k said:
Black Coos":2vt9as6k said:
Might start developing an ass as well. :lol:

By then you would have lost all the gain that there ever was from the longhorn ruggedness.

Well I'm convinced. I'm gonna dump these crumby well muscled Red Angus and stock up on longhorns, maybe throw in a corriente or 2 just for spice

Angus Cowman":cmtwqgp9 said:
Black Coos":cmtwqgp9 said:
I know of some 3/4 angus and 1/4 LH cows and their offspring will still come out with the white on them about 80% of the time and some of the cows are solid black and some are red or brown
there isn't a pattern to what color the calves will be is kinda a crap shoot but he also has some 3/4 char and 1/4 LH that throw all solid calves when bred to either a limi or Angus
that LH marking is hard to break with black
I think Randi or one of the others posted a thread about the wild color gene on here before

That's that pesky DNA thing again that keeps poping up. It is hard to knock the chrome off a longhorn or shorthorn. Those colors just keep showing up.

piedmontese":3rwukqqq said:
CKC1586":3rwukqqq said:
piedmontese":3rwukqqq said:
i have been trying to get ahold of the guy but no luck yet.i used a saler bull on my pied heifers,no baby's yet but in a couple months.i also put a pied bull on some of my saler cows,they also will calve n march/april.is the little pic u posted the LH/pied calves? if so wow that went real well.
Yup, that is them! Don't know why that picture came thru so small. I have a picture of the group at weaning and am still trying to find it! Will post it when/if I do. :?

Black Coos":36f7qb7w said:

In the deep south a Black Brangus would be the ticket.

If I lived in open country with a thousands of ac. and I had a 1000 LH's cows ,I would use a Black ( angus,bal.,brangus) Bull for 2 gen. and then a Hereford. I think I could live with 3/4BA X 1/4 LH cows breed to a Hereford bull.....In 20 years, you would have most of the Full LH"S died off, and the 1/2 breeds cull hard. You could do the same thing with Holstiens, A 3/4 Shorthorn and 1/4 hol. grass fed 3 years and grained finished makes some good eating...

My point is start with the best cattle that you can buy, NOT the most $, The best...I reather have 5 good cows than 20 bad ones...

I think the LH's thing went 3 or 4 ways....
1. HORNS
2. Heifer Bulls (30-40 years ago)
3. We love them ( not as beef cattle but like Buffalo )
4. Ruged , tough cows that has a place where other cows would died, (now we got Brimmers) who needs them?

The best thing to cross a longhorn with is the salebarn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts