What are you using to apply pour on’s?

Help Support CattleToday:

NonTypicalCPA

Reaction score
Is there a good simple applicator out there? My bull likes to try to kick me when I'm pouring on fly control meds. He thinks it's good fun! Not to mention getting swatted by manure filled tails. I'd like to increase my distance a bit.

For fly control we hang rubs and charge them up with diesel and fly treatment, and all cattle walk under, rub there faces on it etc. We also spray them down if flies get bad (water/1 gal sprayer and fly treatment). sometimes we drop a little feed in a tight circle and stand on back of feed truck and spray them. They don't run from the feed... If you have to actually pour them I'd run them thru a snake/tight alley or put them in a chute. I don't know if I'd like being kicked at by my bulls.

The brand I used said 4 to 5 ounces per cow. I cut the top off a pop bottle. Poured in approximately 4 to 5 ounces. And tossed it at the cows. Some times from fairly close, sometimes from about as far away as I could get it on the cow. Hit them on the top, the side, or wherever. If I got a third of the herd there would be no flies the next day. I think the flies were attracted to the wet spot on some of the cows. Not as scientific as some would like but it worked for me.

There was a guy on Ranchers a long time ago (CT too, seems to me) that used a kids Super Soaker water gun. Some of those have a lot of range. He might have just applied Ivomec to his bulls with it from up in the tractor but the idea would be similar I think.

Use the gun designed for the respective pour–on product to ensure proper dosage & application. In many cases calibration, discharge/flow rate, cap sizes & the length of tube entering the container aren't interchangeable. Often as not you can get a free gun if you meet volume requirements. They'll last a very long time if properly cared for/lubricated.
Sure beats the old ladle deal from years ago.

Usually I will run them up the chute, catch the "leader" in the head-gate, and while they are all lining up behind the 1st one, I go down the line and apply the pour-on. Other times, most often with fly repellents, I will use a 1 gallon pump sprayer and walk amongst them and shoot them that way. I dial in the tip so it comes out as a steady stream rather than a mist.

I use a 15 gallon spot sprayer. Hose em all down when I change pastures. Just park the mule at the gate and stand on back and spray em when they come through the gate so they can't get away from me. Flies haven't been bad at all this year so far though

I use an old broomstick handle with a plastic measuring cup attached to the end of it. I put feed into the feed troughs lined up against the corral. Turn the cows into the lot and pour ultra boss, standguard, sabre or whatever into the plastic measuring cup that is attached to the broomstick. Then while they are busy eating, standing next to the corral across from the feed troughs I pour the pesticide along there back beginning close as I can get to the tailhead and pour along the back toward their head (in case they back up I'll still get a pretty good dose on). Then fill the plastic measuring cup again and do the next one and so on. Usually works pretty well with about 10 head and 2# of cube for each. It's raining now but I can take a picture of this hi-tech invention and show you if you like.

ccr said:
I use an old broomstick handle with a plastic measuring cup attached to the end of it. I put feed into the feed troughs lined up against the corral. Turn the cows into the lot and pour ultra boss, standguard, sabre or whatever into the plastic measuring cup that is attached to the broomstick. Then while they are busy eating, standing next to the corral across from the feed troughs I pour the pesticide along there back beginning close as I can get to the tailhead and pour along the back toward their head (in case they back up I'll still get a pretty good dose on). Then fill the plastic measuring cup again and do the next one and so on. Usually works pretty well with about 10 head and 2# of cube for each. It's raining now but I can take a picture of this hi-tech invention and show you if you like.
I love your hi-tech invention - sometimes you gotta think outside the box. Safety first! I had a cow that twisted her foot on the dam (saw her go down) and once again nowhere remotely close to any of the working facilities so I took a cafe tension rod (for curtains), cut a slit in one rubber end, shoved a paintbrush in the end, extended the rod to its full length and "painted" DMSO on her foot & leg.

76 Bar said:
Use the gun designed for the respective pour–on product to ensure proper dosage & application. In many cases calibration, discharge/flow rate, cap sizes & the length of tube entering the container aren't interchangeable. Often as not you can get a free gun if you meet volume requirements. They'll last a very long time if properly cared for/lubricated.

Exactly, the half doses that don't hit the target or not enough given initially are why we have resistance to parasites

Stick a straw in the jug, suck out a mouthful, use the straw to blow a stream on the back of each cow. Be sure and use a clean straw if you have hired help and you do not want to share your/their germs. Use a swig of water to rinse out your mouth when finished. Please dispose of plastic straws properly as to not damage the environment. :lol: :???:

76 Bar said:

Most recommended dose amounts are based on weights. Do you weigh each cow or do like most of us and "guesstimate".

Ebenezer said:
Stick a straw in the jug, suck out a mouthful, use the straw to blow a stream on the back of each cow. Be sure and use a clean straw if you have hired help and you do not want to share your/their germs. Use a swig of water to rinse out your mouth when finished. Please dispose of plastic straws properly as to not damage the environment. :lol: :???:

And don't forget to massage it in with your bare hands really well after spitting it on them.!

**Note for the uninitiated this is total parody! Follow the mfg directions regarding contact with skin!

Most recommended dose amounts are based on weights. Do you weigh each cow or do like most of us and "guesstimate".
I weigh a representative group of (5 or 6) calves or cows and adjust accordingly/head. When in doubt, I over rather than under dose.

Not to sound holier than thou but on occasion I've haphazardly applied assorted pour ons on something missed down the chute/after the fact. Having done considerable research and taken to heart Lucky P's advice on this board, I'm convinced that following the respective manufacture's application guidelines is paramount.

Latest posts