What are you eating today?

Help Support CattleToday:

Highgrit went out of his way on his way home from his fishing trip and dropped by to see me and he was kind enough to give a beggar some fish. Tonight we had blackened Cobia. Never been lucky enough to land a cobia so it was a first for us. Delicious meat. Thanks again Highgrit. Just hope i did it justice.

The fish looks delicious , I can only imagine what it tasted like . I think you did him proud Jo :D

You are a good friend HG :tiphat:

It was good. Especially once I rolled it up in a flour tortilla that had been warmed and stuffed with organic lettuce picked by indigenous natives and watered with spring water hand delivered in sheep skins from the rocky mountains. :lol2:

I want to try ceviche !!! Not making, it but eating it :D

I made/attempted to make a Black Forest cake for our 20th anniversary dinner today . The dinner had to be put on hold due to haying though . So hopefully we will be able to have filet mignon and fresh lobster tails tomororow .
The cake turned out not too bad for my first attempt and everything was from scratch and as I have said before I am not a baker. We don't know how it tastes though , maybe we will have a piece later tonight and pop open a bottle Veuve Clicquot . :tiphat:

Darn that looks good. Don't see what you could have done to improve that. Looks delicious. I must be doing something wrong in my marriage. :oops:

hillsdown":2eekzcd5 said:

I made/attempted to make a Black Forest cake for our 20th anniversary dinner today . The dinner had to be put on hold due to haying though . So hopefully we will be able to have filet mignon and fresh lobster tails tomororow .
The cake turned out not too bad for my first attempt and everything was from scratch and as I have said before I am not a baker. We don't know how it tastes though , maybe we will have a piece later tonight and pop open a bottle Veuve Clicquot . :tiphat:

:shock: I am inviting myself to dinner :mrgreen:

Thanks Jo and Ski ! :tiphat:

Well we had a late night last night and not how I had it planned so we are having our surf and turf tonight .Who would have thought we would spend our 20th anniversary working on the baler. Luckily it was an easy fix ,not anything serious but we did have to let 70 acres of 2nd cut and green feed get rain on . :devil2:

Mr HD had a piece of cake with a glass of champagne last night and it was a huge hit . I think one little piece would probably be about 1000 calories though . :roll: :lol: But I guess I am somewhat of a baker now . I have learned that you need to be precise with every ingredient but you can be very flexible and creative with what you add to it after it has baked . ;-)

Have been busy all day snapping and blanching green beans and I have my ox tail and short ribs boiling so I can make German borscht soup tomorrow . My dad wants my mom to make it but it is a little bit of a pain for her so I am making a big batch for them and will take it over later . We don't use the whole beets in ours, we just use the tops of the beets.

Sounds good to me too Chuckie ! :D
My nephew keeps bugging me to make my meatloaf again too , he has no clue just how many veggies are in that meatloaf . :lol:

hillsdown":2yr7f69y said:

That looks great, not a real sweet fan myself, but my sweetie is and it makes it sweet for me! Looks great!

OK, I don't have an exact recipe, but I'll tell you exactly what I do to it. I usually start throwing stuff in a bowl when I cook.
This is a huge meatloaf to last several days...... You may want to cut it down.

4 or 5 lbs of hamburger meat......I used 2lbs of ground beef, and the other 3 lbs was ground chuck
1 medium sized, (not the little one) HOT Pace Picante sauce (sometimes I add one can extra med Rotel tomatoes with it)
2 very large red onions
4 large eggs
1 sleeve of crackers crumbled almost into a powder.
A lot of black pepper, and a little bit of salt.

Mix it up real well, build your meatloaf in the pan.

I have a huge pan that almost covers the entire rack, and I form the meatloaf. It looks more like a sheet cake, but make sure that you leave the sides open because there is going to be some liquid come out. You may have to take a turkey baster and pull some of the juice out along the way.
Place it in the oven for 2 hours @ 350* in the beginning, and check it to make sure the top doesn't start turning too dark. If it does, take a large piece of aluminum foil and mold it over the top, but it doesn't have to be attached to the pan.

Just before I pull it out, I make a Ketchup topping. Guessing, I probably use 2 cups of ketchup and approx. 1/3 cup of brown sugar. Mix it up and taste it to see if it has a sweeter taste. If not, add a little more brown sugar. Then pour it over the meat loaf and don't put the aluminum foil back on it. Make sure it stays in there until the ketchup topping is heated through, but don't let it burn as it has sugar in it. Use as much ketchup as you want for the topping, but that is about the ratio of Ketchup to brown sugar I use.

This is warm but not to the point that it destroys the flavor of the meat. You will not be fanning your mouth.

Chuckie":3c3stto2 said:
OK, I don't have an exact recipe, but I'll tell you exactly what I do to it. I usually start throwing stuff in a bowl when I cook.
This is a huge meatloaf to last several days...... You may want to cut it down.

4 or 5 lbs of hamburger meat......I used 2lbs of ground beef, and the other 3 lbs was ground chuck
1 medium sized, (not the little one) HOT Pace Picante sauce (sometimes I add one can extra med Rotel tomatoes with it)
2 very large red onions
4 large eggs
1 sleeve of crackers crumbled almost into a powder.
A lot of black pepper, and a little bit of salt.

Mix it up real well, build your meatloaf in the pan.

I have a huge pan that almost covers the entire rack, and I form the meatloaf. It looks more like a sheet cake, but make sure that you leave the sides open because there is going to be some liquid come out. You may have to take a turkey baster and pull some of the juice out along the way.
Place it in the oven for 2 hours @ 350* in the beginning, and check it to make sure the top doesn't start turning too dark. If it does, take a large piece of aluminum foil and mold it over the top, but it doesn't have to be attached to the pan.

Just before I pull it out, I make a Ketchup topping. Guessing, I probably use 2 cups of ketchup and approx. 1/3 cup of brown sugar. Mix it up and taste it to see if it has a sweeter taste. If not, add a little more brown sugar. Then pour it over the meat loaf and don't put the aluminum foil back on it. Make sure it stays in there until the ketchup topping is heated through, but don't let it burn as it has sugar in it. Use as much ketchup as you want for the topping, but that is about the ratio of Ketchup to brown sugar I use.

This is warm but not to the point that it destroys the flavor of the meat. You will not be fanning your mouth.

Thank you very much! It is copied and pasted into my "must try" file. Sounds fantastic! Thank you again! :tiphat:

Yer welcome Alan!

I have so many recipes or things I cook that I just throw things together, and when someone asks for the recipe, they don't understand that I don't have exact measurements. I know what to do to it by tasting of it.

Latest posts