What are you eating today?

Help Support CattleToday:

Sorry you live such a limited life...

It isn't how much you have that makes you happy. It's how much you enjoy.

I do draw the line at brains and testicles.

Testicles aren't bad just taste like the breading. I am with you on the brains. Also no gizzards or livers for me.

I get an unnatural craving for liver and onions about twice a year. Brains? Well, I've managed without brains my whole life :ROFLMAO:

Deer heart is our "victory dinner"!! Love it. Love chicken hearts also. Most men won't taste testicles, but we love them. Have served them several times to a group of people that didn't know what the special treat was. They loved it!

I remember decades ago when the local feed store would host a barbecue supper for their customers every year. I would go with my father. They'd have beer and mountain oysters for a while before the barbecue was served. I never ate much barbecue because I'd be half full on the mountain oysters. I haven't had them in a long time, but wouldn't hesitate if they were offered to me.

Back when I was still at home and we butchered a hog we always knew there'd be hog brains with scrambled eggs for breakfast the next day. I don't miss it, but it wasn't bad. The following morning (and periodically after that until it ran out) we'd have blood sausage. That's another one I didn't mind, but don't really miss.

I ate my share of beef tongue when I was a child also. It's good stuff.

I like fried chicken gizzards.

However, as far as I know the only food that tastes worse than beef liver is chicken liver. There have been a few times when I'd be eating chicken and dumplings that someone had cooked and I'd get a mouthful of liver. It was all I could do to stay at the table and not leave to spit it out.

Sorry you live such a limited life...

It isn't how much you have that makes you happy. It's how much you enjoy.

I do draw the line at brains and testicles.
I'll draw the line at brains, my grandmother used to fix hog brains, with eggs.
Fries are pretty good eating, some people call them mountain oysters. Worst thing about banding calves I'd you loose the fries, but my wife wouldn't cook those anyway. She will cook liver.
Over Thanksgiving, wife baked a turkey.
I always eat the neck, liver, heart, gizzard first. Our sister in law from California was there and she saw the neck on my plate and asked if I was really going to eat it.

Love the neck!!! Absolutely do not like poultry liver.
In Kansas, our vet would hold an annual nut fry. Back then, very few beef producers had facilities. The vet had a chute and coral panels. He'd back up & work the calves. Save all the nuts and clean & freeze them. One of the local restaurants would hold the nut fry and would have all the trimmings for the local customers.

I'll draw the line at brains, my grandmother used to fix hog brains, with eggs.
Fries are pretty good eating, some people call them mountain oysters. Worst thing about banding calves I'd you loose the fries, but my wife wouldn't cook those anyway. She will cook liver.
Over Thanksgiving, wife baked a turkey.
I always eat the neck, liver, heart, gizzard first. Our sister in law from California was there and she saw the neck on my plate and asked if I was really going to eat it.
My grandkids are convinced that we only cook male turkeys

I was watching my favourite butchers (the Bearded Butchers) on YouTube, they used regular salt and celery juice powder (I think that's what they said). So no nitrates in their recipe. Anyone ever tried that?
What a lot of food products using celery juice or powder claim is "No nitrates ADDED".
Not Mountain Creek, but I thought I would add that curing is salt (also called pink salt or prague powder) is not normal salt. It contains nitrates.
nomenclature, nomenclature, nomenclature...
The dyed pink salt thing about having no nitrates is mostly true (contains small % nitrate) BUT, it contains 6.25% Sodium NiTRITE. (pink salt/prague powder is not the same as Himalayan salt which is naturally pink). It is nitrites that are linked to cancer.

Channel catfish agree wholeheartedly. They like them because the heart can be stuffed with Danny King's punch bait, won't come off your hook and can be used over and over again.
Other than that, I have no use for animal hearts.
I'll have to find the picture now. Been about 20 years.
I came home after work and my wife was wearing one of my old dirty white T-shirts (the ones I save for rags). Only difference was it had blood splotches all over it.

I asked her what happened. Simple; she'd been taking care of the multiple extra roosters we had around the place. They had earned their own corner of the freezer, so she ground and wrapped them.

I was so proud of this dirty woman in the red polka dot shirt. Made me kinda frisky, but she said NO! She had baited the trot line with rooster hearts and insisted that I check it before any nookie. Out of 25 baited hooks, I pulled eighteen 2-3 pound catfish and one 8 pound bass.

I have a picture of the bloodbath somewhere. She's holding the bass, smiling like the Joker, with the catfish laying on the tailgate behind her.

I did finally get lucky, after I cleaned the fish.
(I know what you're thinking. Best left unsaid)

Latest posts