What are you eating today?

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks!
Important to get the right amount of ingredients per pound ! Could you elaborate?
Not Mountain Creek, but I thought I would add that curing is salt (also called pink salt or prague powder) is not normal salt. It contains nitrates. If you use too little, the meat can spoil or not be properly cured.It is very important to use the correct amounts for safety purposes. I have done this a few times, but my bacon always comes out too salty, so I just decided to quit trying.

We used Mortons sugar cure. Pint for a ''joint'' and half a pint for a ''side'' was the golden rule.Rinse and smoke after the moisture quits coming out of the meat. Put in a seed sack to hang after wrapping in paper.(y)

Not Mountain Creek, but I thought I would add that curing is salt (also called pink salt or prague powder) is not normal salt. It contains nitrates. If you use too little, the meat can spoil or not be properly cured.It is very important to use the correct amounts for safety purposes. I have done this a few times, but my bacon always comes out too salty, so I just decided to quit trying.
After you take it out of the cure you can cut a little piece off and fry it if it's too salty soak it in water.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. If there is a way to mess it up, I could find it.

I was watching my favourite butchers (the Bearded Butchers) on YouTube, they used regular salt and celery juice powder (I think that's what they said). So no nitrates in their recipe. Anyone ever tried that?

Sorry you live such a limited life...

It isn't how much you have that makes you happy. It's how much you enjoy.

I do draw the line at brains and testicles.
Ram testicles are an experience.

I have a buddy of a southerly ethnicity that's helped me with some homekill work that now asks me to hold any testicles off of any critters for him. I went to cut the testicles off of an old azz boar hog we laid low a few months back (he asked me for them even when I said what it was) and that SOB had testicular cancer. Never seen it in a hog before that.

Sorry you live such a limited life...

It isn't how much you have that makes you happy. It's how much you enjoy.

I do draw the line at brains and testicles.
Testicles aren't bad just taste like the breading. I am with you on the brains. Also no gizzards or livers for me.

Testicles aren't bad just taste like the breading. I am with you on the brains. Also no gizzards or livers for me.
I've heard that it takes an average of 9 tries before someone likes something. Of course that means a lot of stuff will be liked right away and other things never.
I do like gizzards and liver though. In fact that's why I found the hearts. I was asking the guy at the meat case about giblets for making turkey dressing and why it was all gizzards and no hearts since each bird has one of each. Now that I know I can get hearts I won't be worrying about the gizzards as I prefer the hearts. Of course I'll still be buying livers too. Livers don't go in the stuffing.
Beef liver and tongue are awesome too.

I get an unnatural craving for liver and onions about twice a year. Brains? Well, I've managed without brains my whole life :ROFLMAO:
Back about 20 years ago, when the Longhorn steakhouse first came to town, they had a lunch special All-you-can-eat liver & onions and mashed potatoes. About $4.99 I think. I suspect they quit because of me. I would wear them out about once a week. Got a meat and three here in town that I eat lunch at at least one a week. best chicken livers ever. The only way I can eat brains, though, is scrambled with eggs. There are just three things that I can not eat: spinach (had a bad experience with a can of spinach when I was kid playing Popeye) , guacamole (looks and smells like it has been ate before),and Blue Cheese( which is really ranch dressing that has spoiled, I think). Old lady eats that sh*t, though. The other day she got a bottle of blue cheese out of the fridge, opened it, smelled it, and said " I think this has gone bad". I said "How can you tell when curdled, rotten cheese goes bad"?!!!

Deer heart is our "victory dinner"!! Love it. Love chicken hearts also. Most men won't taste testicles, but we love them. Have served them several times to a group of people that didn't know what the special treat was. They loved it!

Deer heart is our "victory dinner"!! Love it. Love chicken hearts also. Most men won't taste testicles, but we love them. Have served them several times to a group of people that didn't know what the special treat was. They loved it!
I don't mind some testicles I've tried. The ram testicles were cooked for me on an open fire by that southerly friend of mine, and I can only describe half the taste without being inappropriate, and that half was rather spammy to me. If he cooks them again, I'll try them again.

Fella I knew when I was active duty, from up in the panhandle, he told me how they always cut bull calves a little later than some, and they ran a sizeable herd so there were lots of testicles. Well, the preacher man had a habit of sort of inviting himself around to supper tables. He came over one day when they'd fried up about a bucket of testicles and he ate heartily. He said he really enjoyed those chicken nuggets. Situation was explained and he didn't show up for dinner again.

Latest posts