What are the typical guns of the modern American cowboy?

Help Support CattleToday:

I have 7 high powered rifles from a 223 to a 300 Win mag. 3 shotguns. One 22. And 4 pistols. I am certain that 3 out of the 4 people who have property directly bordered up against me have more guns than I do.
Beings as the results of the photo contest are out I can now tell you I have an original Colt Peace Maker with ivory grips.
The first animal I remember being slaughtered were chickens. I was about 3 or 4. I helped Dad and Grandpa, although I probably wasn't much help. I have a picture of me and Dad with deer he shot. Again I was in the 3 or 4 range. I shot my first deer when I was 12.

Please go to time mark 2:00

"There are no guns on my ranch", said Cowboy Sam. "We are cowboys; not bad men."

It sounds like the author of Cowboy Andy, 1959, by Edna Walker Chandler, was either making an anti-gun statement or didn't know steer manure about ranching. And also, Cowboy Sam showed up at the train station in an automobile. No pickup truck!! No stagecoach??

im starting to think..you got this cowboy thing all wrong ..or,are you starting from ground zero ?

Don't argue with liberals or stupid, you can't fix either one.

Defective stuff can be destroyed if not fixed.

im starting to think..you got this cowboy thing all wrong ..or,are you starting from ground zero ?
no, I just had to spice this thread up a little ... I think that author had the whole gun thing out of whack though ... so ranchers really do drive cars?

oh, I just remembered, this cowboy (bandit?) had a car:

PS - Paul Williams was little but he was rather ugly, mustache-wearing and deep-voiced to be called a "Little Lady". Burt Reynolds called "him" that at the truck fair. The implication in 1977 was that shortness was "feminine".

Last edited:
I've gotta know what kind of horse you'd be riding? Also type of saddle, spurs, hat, and boots? I'm guessing being the Rancher you wouldn't need Chaps? Fancy dress for the horse or Workin cowboy tack?

I've gotta know what kind of horse you'd be riding? Also type of saddle, spurs, hat, and boots? I'm guessing being the Rancher you wouldn't need Chaps? Fancy dress for the horse or Workin cowboy tack?
Well, exactly like The Duke in Great Western Savings. Maybe an all-black stallion. An Andalusian Spanish horse. Respectable but not too much flash. No rhinestone cowboy. Did he say snow in California 7 or 70 feet deep?

Last edited:
no, I just had to spice this thread up a little ... I think that author had the whole gun thing out of whack though ... so ranchers really do drive cars?

oh, I just remembered, this cowboy (bandit?) had a car:

PS - Paul Williams was little but he was rather ugly, mustache-wearing and deep-voiced to be called a "Little Lady". Burt Reynolds called "him" that at the truck fair. The implication in 1977 was that shortness was "feminine".

Yep 69 GTO.

Well, exactly like The Duke in Great Western Savings. Maybe an all-black stallion. An Andalusian Spanish horse. Respectable but not too much flash. No rhinestone cowboy. Did he say snow in California 7 or 70 feet deep?

I was thinking of Mr. Chisum in young guns 2.

Case folder or fixed blade handmade knives, thought that was the Cowboy deal? Good ranch saddle and working spurs. Solid ranch horse, no atheletes or trail horses. Trailer has to be missing at least one dust cap and two of the four tires can't match also needs at least 3 piggin strings on back gate and an old lariat rope on hanging on gooseneck hitch. Truck needs some kind of story to tell too. If when you ask what you owe and they say " oh whatever it's worth to ya" you know you got the real deal. Don't forget to buy them lunch if you want them back. Lol

Case folder or fixed blade handmade knives, thought that was the Cowboy deal? Good ranch saddle and working spurs. Solid ranch horse, no atheletes or trail horses. Trailer has to be missing at least one dust cap and two of the four tires can't match also needs at least 3 piggin strings on back gate and an old lariat rope on hanging on gooseneck hitch. Truck needs some kind of story to tell too. If when you ask what you owe and they say " oh whatever it's worth to ya" you know you got the real deal. Don't forget to buy them lunch if you want them back. Lol
Oh, if I were a ranch owner or farmer, I'd have a shiny new well-waxed Toyota Tacoma or Tundra. Preferably Hot Red paint kept garaged. No shoddy "cowboy looking" stuff on my fantasy ranch. COWBOY is a pejorative for half-ass workmanship or haphazard ways. The old dame in Wizard of Oz kept her farm hands energized with homemade corn fritters was it? That Dorothy and that little rat mutt (no real farm dog like a German Shepherd or collie) just kept getting in the way. A farmer needs a daughter like a bull needs tits.

Latest posts