What are the typical guns of the modern American cowboy?

Help Support CattleToday:

burroughs85

Reaction score
I'm not just talking about Cowboy Action shooters, I mean rootin-tootin working cowboys on the spread and in the range. Back in the real Old West (about 1865-1895) it was the likes of the Colt Peacemaker in .45 Colt, the Remington 1875 and the Winchester 1873 lever gun maybe in .44-40 as well as the Sharps buffalo gun in .45-70 Govt. and the Colt coach gun in maybe 10-ga. This is what I think of whenever somebody says "cowboy guns". Do American cowboys still carry the same shootin' irons in the saddle today, do they use modern reproductions of Old West guns or do they carry entirely modern firearms?

Cowboys once had to fight Indians, robbers or rustlers. They had to deal with card cheats. They had to fight gunslingers. They had to protect stock from predators and stray hound dogs. They had to put down wounded animals. They hunted game on long drives. They need to control pests on the ranch. Snakes are always a threat. There is still the possibility of rustlers today. The West can still be wild in some parts. I've driven through the deserts of Southern Idaho, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and SoCal lately. I know how rough it is. Like a branding iron or a hay fork, I can't imagine any American rancher, farmer or sheepman without at least one gun as a tool of the trade.

Last edited:
I still shoot a Model 92 and 94 in 44, 30-30 and 32-40.
Pistol of choice is 1911.
There was one John Wayne cowboy flick where the Duke was introduced to a 1911 for the first time. He denounced it as funny shaped and was proud of his old-fashioned 6-shooter. A 45 auto might be still more prudent to carry out on the range than a Peacemaker during these more dangerous modern times.

Last edited:
It could be that cowboys in 1880 commonly carried a Colt Peacemaker then because no Blackhawks or autos were around yet. :)
Because of Hollywood, some folks still envision cowboys with old-fashioned guns today. There might still be a real working cowpoke today sporting a Peacemaker in the holster somewhere. The Old West/Old West style lever guns by Marlin, Henry and Winchester still seem to be as popular as ever even with hunters and non-cowpokes. I met a young air force fellow of Asian decent from New York City in 2017 who told me he wanted a Winchester lever in .30-30 of all things as a fun gun to shoot at the range. He told me his family was of strong Democrat and gun control mentality as well. Perhaps, getting a "fun cowboy gun" might have (gladly for us pro-gunners) put gun rights and American firearms traditions in a new light for him. He claimed to me that "only police officers" could own handguns in New York City. If these "cool cowboy guns" can convert American anti-gunners, then god bless them!

I'm not just talking about Cowboy Action shooters, I mean rootin-tootin working cowboys on the spread and in the range. Back in the real Old West (about 1865-1895) it was the likes of the Colt Peacemaker in .45 Colt, the Remington 1875 and the Winchester 1873 lever gun maybe in .44-40 as well as the Sharps buffalo gun in .45-70 Govt. and the Colt coach gun in maybe 10-ga. This is what I think of whenever somebody says "cowboy guns". Do American cowboys still carry the same shootin' irons in the saddle today, do they use modern reproductions of Old West guns or do they carry entirely modern firearms?

Cowboys once had to fight Indians, robbers or rustlers. They had to deal with card cheats. They had to fight gunslingers. They had to protect stock from predators and stray hound dogs. They had to put down wounded animals. They hunted game on long drives. They need to control pests on the ranch. Snakes are always a threat. There is still the possibility of rustlers today. The West can still be wild in some parts. I've driven through the deserts of Southern Idaho, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and SoCal lately. I know how rough it is. Like a branding iron or a hay fork, I can't imagine any American rancher, farmer or sheepman without at least one gun as a tool of the trade.
My daily carrry is a 1911 .45ACP loaded slow and heavy. If I'm going after a specific varmint such as a muskrat, I'll take a little .17HMR revolver or levergun. I took along a Model 92 chambered for .44 Magnum when I took a loop through the desert but I have about any caliber I could carry from .22 Magnum to .45-70 Gov't. I have nothing against bolt action or modern semi-automatic rifles.

My 'Bull Duty' gun is a PX4 Beretta as it is set up (for me) to bring on line the fastest. and I used to it.
I am not going to get into inventory here but I'm prepared for most situations.

Mine include a Ruger 357 and 44 mag, a Marlin 30-30 and as far as varmints at close range goes, my Remington 870 in 410 works great. The truck pistol is a 38 special in snub nose.
I sometimes carry a "Big Ass" revolver. I have Interarms Virginians chambered for .357 Mag, .4 Mag, .44 Mag and .45LC. I have a couple smaller Virginians that will shoot .22 Mag. I'm old, I don't have enough ass to hold up a heavy gunbelt.

Are you talking about Day working cowboys or ranch hands carrying guns on their hip while working or just owning guns in general? I see allot of cowboys everyday but have never seen one packing while on his horse while working. I would guess some of them have something in the truck but you'd probably never know it.

In the "old west" they didn't carry as much as Hollywood would have you believe. Ben Snipes, Peter French, and John Chisum who were all big time cattle men in the time era you list all didn't carry. There was a time during the Bannock Indian war that a war party attacked Peter French's cow camp. Peter and 17 cowboys present with only one gun. Peter used it to hold off the Indians while everyone got saddled up.

Here in the cowboy country of Eastern Oregon everyone has some sort of scope sighted rifle in their pickup. Mine is a Rossi single shot 223. I have yet to see a scabbard rifle pack while riding. The few that pack while riding it is generally some sort of semi auto 45. Mostly something smaller than a 1911. I have a Kimber Micro 9 that might pack to town (much more likely to need a gun there than on the ranch). When I do pack a pistol on the ranch it is an H&R 22 revolver loaded with snake shot during snake season. But I kill a lot more rattle snakes with a shovel than I do with the pistol.

I've never understood the practice of carrying a gun for snake's. They're mostly harmless and the ones that ain't have no legs and no arms. Do y'all carry guns for skeeters and bee's as well 😂
Yep, there's not much you can do to protect yourself from a bumblebee between the eyes and it does happen.

I only "carry" a cheap 9 mm automatic pistol ..it goes with me where ever..mostly for those pesky meth heads and thieves..and around here those two are usually the same...like American exspress ..don't leave home without it..

I've never understood the practice of carrying a gun for snake's. They're mostly harmless and the ones that ain't have no legs and no arms. Do y'all carry guns for skeeters and bee's as well
Notice I said "when I do" pack. Which isn't very often. That is when I am with someone else who isn't from around here and is scared of snakes. The fact that I am packing seems to calm their worry. Skeeters? I couldn't afford that much ammo. May through September I go lathered up with Deep Woods Off. I have been changing irrigation and thinking they are bad today. Look at my mostly black dog and she looks grey from the thousands of skeeters on her. Flood irrigation under 18 inches of grass. If I can ever find a market for skeeter I will be a rich man. And the truth is I know of more people who got a bad case of West Nile from mosquito bites than I have ever hear of getting snake bit.

I only "carry" a cheap 9 mm automatic pistol ..it goes with me where ever..mostly for those pesky meth heads and thieves..and around here those two are usually the same...like American exspress ..don't leave home without it..
I really don't have much use for a weapon of any kind but like they say, "its' like a parachute if you need one and don't have it."

I never had a License to carry until the last year or so...don't see it getting better for awhile either...
I had a concealed license in Washington in the 80's. That was when I was trapping coyotes full time in the winter. I was always packing a pistol and often under a heavy coat.
I just got an Oregon license this winter. Bought that Kimber Micro9. I agree, I don't see things getting better any time soon. Now I am trying to figure out how to pack it concealed in the summer with the way I dress (I tuck my shirt in).

Latest posts