What are the typical guns of the modern American cowboy?

Help Support CattleToday:

1911 Proven track record,
"Among the areas of success for the Colt was a test at the end of 1910 attended by its designer, John Browning. 6000 rounds were fired from a single pistol over the course of 2 days. When the gun began to grow hot, it was simply immersed in water to cool it. The Colt gun passed with no reported malfunctions"

As far as get down to business rifle Mini 14 is my choice.
Kimber 1911 stainless II in glove box and ruger mini in 300 blackout in the mule

It blows my mind how many livestock owners in our area don't even own a gun. I'm on speed dial with at least 4 guys when they need something out down.

Stainless steel in bad. Will reflect light at night, even with a wee bit of moonlight,
and give your location away. Matte black :)

It blows my mind how many livestock owners in our area don't even own a gun. I'm on speed dial with at least 4 guys when they need something out down.
It's hard for me to imagine any American rancher, homesteader, boonies dweller or farmer without some kind of rifle, handgun and/or shotgun. Hollywood, TV and books have that image ingrained in all our minds and have since the green hills were young.

1650473283736.png
1650473330067.png1650473387334.png

I don't know very many people at all that open carry in a gun belt. Seen maybe 4 or 5 in the last 10 years.
Pretty common for farmers to carry a varmit gun in their work vehicle.
Used to be you'd see gun racks in the pickups, but with all the thievery around that's a thing of the past.
You can open carry here, and recently it's been changed to where no permit is required to conceal carry.
Probably a lot of folks conceal carry and you'd never know it.
I'd venture to say most around here do have several guns of various kinds, but they don't publicize it.

I don't know very many people at all that open carry in a gun belt. Seen maybe 4 or 5 in the last 10 years.
Pretty common for farmers to carry a varmit gun in their work vehicle.
Used to be you'd see gun racks in the pickups, but with all the thievery around that's a thing of the past.
You can open carry here, and recently it's been changed to where no permit is required to conceal carry.
Probably a lot of folks conceal carry and you'd never know it.
I'd venture to say most around here do have several guns of various kinds, but they don't publicize it.
I would not be afraid to open carry on a horse dressed up like a cowboy where it's lawful to do so. People are so accustomed to seeing cowboys with guns from decades of film and TV. It wouldn't be more shocking for most to see a modern-day cowboy with a gun than to see a uniformed cop with a handgun in a holster or a uniformed soldier with a rifle.

In semi-rural northern California, my boyhood town of Novato, a butcher came in a truck to slaughter a neighbor's cow circa 1969. A few neighbors had horses for pleasure and a couple head of cattle as individuals for personal meat. Some goats and sheep were kept as pets. But I digress. The man pointed a pistol at the Hereford steer and fired next door. He was about 15 feet in front of the animal. The gun went BANG! The funny thing is, I can't recall seeing the animal drop when the gun went off. My mother in a distressed state suddenly got me inside the house and kept me there until the truck left. She was raised in the city. She was not hip to the common goings-on with domestic animals for slaughter. She did not want her five-year-old boy to witness this kind of operation. How young were you when you first witnessed a livestock slaughter? My mother hated hunting also. She would eat store-bought meats though. My parents did own two handguns for security. A Smith & Wesson police .38 Special and a Beretta Minx purse gun.

Last edited:
I would not be afraid to open carry on a horse dressed up like a cowboy where it's lawful to do so. People are so accustomed to seeing cowboys with guns from decades of film and TV. It wouldn't be more shocking for most to see a modern-day cowboy with a gun than to see a uniformed cop with a handgun in a holster or a uniformed soldier with a rifle.

In semi-rural northern California, my boyhood town of Novato, a butcher came in a truck to slaughter a neighbor's cow circa 1969. A few neighbors had horses and a couple head of cattle as individuals for personal meat. Some goats and sheep were kept as pets. But I digress. The man pointed a pistol at the Hereford steer and fired next door. He was about 15 feet in front of the animal. The gun went BANG! The funny thing is, and can't recall seeing the animal drop when the gun went off. My mother in a distressed state suddenly got me inside the house and kept me there until the truck left. She was raised in the city. She was not hip to the common goings-on with domestic animals for slaughter. She did not want her five-year-old boy to witness this kind of operation. How young were you when you first witnessed a livestock slaughter? My mother hated hunting also. She would eat store-bought meats though. My parents did own two handguns for security. A Smith & Wesson police .38 Special and a Beretta Minx purse gun.
I didn't think you were a native Okie...

I didn't think you were a native Okie...
No, not by a damn sight. Still there are plenty of ag people in Cally. Dairy farms all around semi-rural Novato in a small valley with shade trees and rolling green surrounding hills where I grew up. Black and white Holstein milk cows and a few Herefords for beef. Financial situations now have me living in the more modest-priced Middle America. At one time CA was actually reasonable in cost to live there but that former happy state of being has sadly long gone away.

Last edited:
Granted organic farmed goods in Marin are expensive and small scale but the locals living there are rich and can afford it. The "Cowgirl" creamery run by dames only puts out 3,000 pounds of organic cheese a week. 12,000 pounds a month. ORGANIC is the TRUE OLD-FASHIONED way to farm. The bulk of the human species these days get that mass-produced chemical-laden stuff.

Last edited:
Not to start a pissin' match but that mass produced chemical laden "stuff" is what feeds the world. If the words "organic" and "non-GMO" make you feel warm and fuzzy inside then by all means buy what you're comfortable with but I've eaten every commodity from the back of my combine that my dad and I have grown since I was old enough to make wheat gum at 5 years old. I use it for feeding out our animals that I have no concerns in turn feeding to my family. The deer we eat have grazed on all the crops that we've sprayed. I clean up before I play with my kids on days I spray so I don't bring any residue in but once the plant has metabolized it I feel it's safe. There's too many ambulance chasers out there for the chemical companies to skip corners and for us farmers it leaves out backsides open to investigations by Dept of Ag if we don't follow all application rules.

With that out of the way, you asked about ages we've been around animal slaughter and butchering. To be honest I don't remember the first animal I saw but my oldest daughter has been present in gutting deer since she was 18 months old. Pissed her off when we gave her the knife sheath to "help" me out and the thing wouldn't cut like my hunting knife. Lol. She's seen the animals being shot and I've always made sure to tell her to have respect for the animals, dead or not. They gave their life so we can have nourishment and they deserve respect for that. She has a little pocket knife that she helps me with when it's time for butchering.

I understand that most people have to buy whatever is in the supermarkets to make ends meet and it might not be the most healthful. Personally, it's not within my means to buy the organic foods. I'm not made of solid gold. The food wholesomeness problem is not farmers. It's not the farmers' fault nor my fault there's too many people on this planet. I'm a lifelong bachelor and never begat a single child. Unselfish people including ag people adopt. The world is a crappy place and man made it that way. To have that good old-fashioned wholesomeness for each and every one of us, more people would have to farm on family farms and there would have to be much fewer of us on this planet. Man is just plain stupid and only nature and time can correct it.

Last edited:

In semi-rural northern California, my boyhood town of Novato, a butcher came in a truck to slaughter a neighbor's cow circa 1969. A few neighbors had horses for pleasure and a couple head of cattle as individuals for personal meat. Some goats and sheep were kept as pets. But I digress. The man pointed a pistol at the Hereford steer and fired next door. He was about 15 feet in front of the animal. The gun went BANG! The funny thing is, I can't recall seeing the animal drop when the gun went off. My mother in a distressed state suddenly got me inside the house and kept me there until the truck left. She was raised in the city. She was not hip to the common goings-on with domestic animals for slaughter. She did not want her five-year-old boy to witness this kind of operation. How young were you when you first witnessed a livestock slaughter? My mother hated hunting also. She would eat store-bought meats though. My parents did own two handguns for security. A Smith & Wesson police .38 Special and a Beretta Minx purse gun.
Heck I witnessed hog killings from birth .
That was a family event here a 22 LR was an East Texas big game gun along with a 16 gauge.
I didn't know you were supposed to eat beef until I was nearly grown. You sold cattle and lived out of the woods and garden.

My go-to gun for a lot of things is my Mini-14. One time I had to put down a mare. I have a saddle scabbard for it, but seldom ride horse anymore. Fits good in a scabbard designed for most lever actions.

My go-to gun for a lot of things is my Mini-14. One time I had to put down a mare. I have a saddle scabbard for it, but seldom ride horse anymore. Fits good in a scabbard designed for most lever actions.
My go to is a Remington Speedmaster 22LR with CCI Stingers. It's a red neck assault rifle that works amazingly well in this thicket.

Latest posts