What are the odds?

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago, I had a situation that was bizarre, in 10 years of farming I had never had a cow with this problem, and in 1 day I had 2 cows with this.

The first animal was a 1st calf heifer that had calved, went to feed them, saw the calf walking around, went in the field, the mother was there with everything out, casting of the withers. Had the vet out, he shoved it back in, stitched it up, and I continued on my day. That night I went to get the cows up, different pen, and saw another calf alone, went in search of the mom, this time it was a older cow, 10 years plus, same thing as that morning, only she was stuck in a ditch upside down, had the neighbor come over to get her turned around, and the Vet out again. Was a long night. This time this cow had 2 tears in her uterus, the Vet stitched them up, gave her a 50-50 chance. After the stitch jobs, both animal got up right away, so we were hopeful. The next morning, the older cow was dead, along with both of the calves, and the 1st calf heifer did make it. I'm thinking what are the odds, 2 in one day? Anybody ever have this nightmare happen to them?

GMN

GMN, sorry about the bad luck. Yes, it seems like when it rains, it pours! I can go along for the longest time without any problems, then when a problems crops up, it seems there are two or three more following right behind.

In reply to, that is how it goes for us, usually it is always many things going wrong at once, and then we get a breather of several months or a year if we are lucky then wham again.

Know what else stunk, getting the vet bill. We have very good vets, and they deserve every penny they make, but it still was hard to take, after losing the cow, and the 2 calves. $250 to be frank is a lotta money to a poor dairy farmer.

see ya

:x a few years ago we lost a nice angus cow and calf-
the dead calf was a monster, the cow was about 7 and had
delivered many healthy calves ( planted them both) Then,
that same afternoon, the cow with cancer eye finally went
down. ( She raised me a really good calf) and had to shoot
her. :shock: Could not find a vet to put her down with drugs
:shock:

Sorry to hear of your misfortune...hopefully, you have paid your dues and won't have that happen again.
Knock on wood...we've been blessed and haven't had a loss, but don't run many head. Good luck to you. Dmc

acutally uterine prolapses are not as likely to occur again as are cervical or vaginal prolapses, also can be associated with calcium deficiency. What kind of mineral supplementation program do you use?

GMN":3l3oqzws said:
Anybody ever have this nightmare happen to them?

GMN

I had a client with three prolapsed uteruses in one day. His herd was selenium deficient. We tested to verify this then injected the whole herd. He didn't have any more. Check it out if you're in a deficient area, especially if they're not eating the mineral well....

Sorry to hear about your losses! That is sad... has anything changed that could cause something like this? Have you changed bulls lately? I would be curious as to WHY...

Latest posts