What are Red Angus heifers worth?

Help Support CattleToday:

Voice of Reason

Reaction score
Long story, I have two registered Red Angus heifers (about four years old) that I may sell to a neighbor. What is the going rate?

They are quite healthy.

Voice of Reason":2s0rx47g said:
Long story, I have two registered Red Angus heifers (about four years old) that I may sell to a neighbor. What is the going rate?

They are quite healthy.

You really do not need to double post but I will respond here again:

What ever the market will bear.

Just because they are registered does not necessarily add value. In fact they may very well only be worth meat price.

Papers in the vast majority of cases add nothing to the value of an animal.

Your do not provide - without pedigree and lots of pics and calving history and calf performance - and location - any where even close to enough information.

Regards

Bez>

Thanks Bez.

What would the order of magnitude range be - $1k to $5k? I inheirited these two, and I just don't want to get taken. I have been told (but several neutral parties) that they are nice heifers, but I realize that is not exactly an appraisial.

Thanks!

Voice of Reason":2vz9uvaf said:
Thanks Bez.

What would the order of magnitude range be - $1k to $5k? I inheirited these two, and I just don't want to get taken. I have been told (but several neutral parties) that they are nice heifers, but I realize that is not exactly an appraisial.

Thanks!

Not bred and no calf at side - where I live you get 500 - maybe 600 bucks if you are lucky - right now - papers or not.

They are not prime for the feed lot and they are not prime for a calf - got to keep them for the best part of a year to get anything out of them - costs money and those in the business do not want to spend unless they can make.

Find your local sale barn - ask what the equivalent animal goes for in the ring - you will have to "guesstimate" the weight for the sale barn folks to let you know the rough price.

No need to say they are registered - the local buyers will not likely care at this stage of the game.

That is your minimum price. You might not like it but that is pretty fair answer for starters. Unless you can get some dandy to come in and take them home as pets.

Meat price is your lowest dollar - you work up from there.

Four years old and still heifers. I probably would not want them at all. If they are pets I for sure would not want them - but a teacher, doctor, lawyer or country newbie might want them.

Advertise in the paper for a best offer once you have your minimum price. Otherwise pour the grain to them and eat them. They will taste fine.

You are spending money on these animals to the point you might very well have spent far more than they are worth - in my mind at least. That is why we breed them.

I am sure others will have comments to add before the night is over.

Good luck,

Bez>

Voice of Reason":6a99pr8v said:

They are quite healthy.

I am curious if you would share with us what their registration numbers are.
--Julian

Voice of Reason":1rf5trqk said:

They are quite healthy.

I would grill them for 50 to 85 cents per pound. The exact price would depend on their condition.

Are these really four year old heifers or do you mean 4 year old cows. If they really are heifers, there fertility would be suspect.

Latest posts