Black vs Red

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I sold some calves this past week and saw a pretty interesting comparison.

We sold calves for my boss, myself, and my family this past week. We have a decent group of calves from #500-525. The black or black and white steers brought, on avg, $100 more than red, beefmaster type bulls.

The blk & b&w were steered, had ear tags, and were in good fleshy shape. They were 1/4-1/8 ear.

The beefmaster calves were more lean, bulls, and had no tags or markings.

I sold some calves this past week and saw a pretty interesting comparison.

We sold calves for my boss, myself, and my family this past week. We have a decent group of calves from #500-525. The black or black and white steers brought, on avg, $100 more than red, beefmaster type bulls.

The blk & b&w were steered, had ear tags, and were in good fleshy shape. They were 1/4-1/8 ear.

The beefmaster calves were more lean, bulls, and had no tags or markings.
So was it color, condition, or balls?

Brute, that is not apples to apples. Steer vs bull is $5 to $8 per cwt. discount to the bulls (more in August to October time period). 1/4 & 1/8 blood calves vs 3/8 to 1/2 bloods is another $5 to $6 per cwt. discount.

Ya I wasn't really going for apples to apples as much as operation to operation.

Black vs Red is probably not the best title but it's what came to my head. 😄

It's more of a comparison of doing the black calves with ear tags, steers, low Brahman influence, etc.vs red beefmaster that have never been touched before. Doing it "their" was vs "your way" maybe?

It's hard to put an exact break down on each thing. From my experience the steer is a nickel or so, the red is a dime or so, the little bit more Brahman is probably a nickel or so. Im not sure how body condition may have helped them vs hurt us. Their calves were good stout calves, just leaner, which helps in some cases.

Just talking out loud.

Sent 7 average black calves last week . Highest was a 415 lb bull they marked as a steer . Brought 2.30. Lowest a heifer 515 lb at a 1.82 . Sent 5 more today . Better , heavier calves except for one that will probably be around 450 but the best heifer in the bunch . 3 heifers and 2 bulls . Hoping they stay high . Might get my tractor paid for !

Sent 7 average black calves last week . Highest was a 415 lb bull they marked as a steer . Brought 2.30. Lowest a heifer 515 lb at a 1.82 . Sent 5 more today . Better , heavier calves except for one that will probably be around 450 but the best heifer in the bunch . 3 heifers and 2 bulls . Hoping they stay high . Might get my tractor paid for !
Good time to pay things off.

Latest posts