Private sales vs sale barn

Help Support CattleToday:

Hpacres440p

Reaction score
I've been watching some of the sale forums and have been referred to folks who have "steers for sale". I need some education. I know prices are up at the barn (#1 large frame steers 500 lbs are $2.40 here). BUT, I expect that price is for age-appropriate 500 lb steers, not 13 mo old 500 lb steers, am I right? People selling "wintery" (thin) steers that barely make that weight are asking $2.50/lb. I'd be better off at the sale buying those type, right? Heck, my choice would be some reds or off-color calves. (Pics are example)

Attachments

• D8B71F67-560B-4361-B53F-AFD6EA259207.png
    D8B71F67-560B-4361-B53F-AFD6EA259207.png
    4 MB · Views: 40
  • 2A343BF4-F55A-4A9B-8DB8-8B044637F9EA.jpeg
    2A343BF4-F55A-4A9B-8DB8-8B044637F9EA.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 40
Some folks buy those thin thin ones. Because the frame is already there. They fatten nicely. A lot of times ya can fatten and re-sell em for a nickel!
A 500lb thin steer is MORE animal than a 500lb fat steer. Gotta have an eye for it.

Those look OK but thin. Gotta be careful!
Sick ones are hard to make work.

Personally I'd look for a "deal" or two at the sale. Short ears, a goofy foot, no tail. They are almost always cheaper. I wouldn't give premium price. U mentioned number 1. Those ain't number 1.

Do those have Wagyu in them?

A few years ago we were at a seminar with 3 lots of calves and they were showing the difference in what the sale barn and cattle buyers look for. There was one lot that looked similar to those pictured and the cattle buyers said no way. Come to find out they were Wagyu and the seller would never put them in a generic sale barn auction.

I've been watching some of the sale forums and have been referred to folks who have "steers for sale". I need some education. I know prices are up at the barn (#1 large frame steers 500 lbs are $2.40 here). BUT, I expect that price is for age-appropriate 500 lb steers, not 13 mo old 500 lb steers, am I right? People selling "wintery" (thin) steers that barely make that weight are asking $2.50/lb. I'd be better off at the sale buying those type, right? Heck, my choice would be some reds or off-color calves. (Pics are example)
Hardware disease?
If all they are is skinny... that's one thing. But sick is another. And they are pictured on enough grass that they shouldn't be that skinny unless something is wrong with them.

Do those have Wagyu in them?

A few years ago we were at a seminar with 3 lots of calves and they were showing the difference in what the sale barn and cattle buyers look for. There was one lot that looked similar to those pictured and the cattle buyers said no way. Come to find out they were Wagyu and the seller would never put them in a generic sale barn auction.
Supposed to all be Angus or Angus x (with what, who knows)

Yes, to feed out and eat-but would these sell for 1400 at the sale barn?
Nope, here they would maybe bring in the 1.50 range... they look too old and stressed out to ever make good beef... hamburger maybe... but I would be very leery.
The best ones to buy at a sale yard are odd colored that are in good flesh... and I like to pick up ones with a bad eye or like @MurraysMutts says, long foot, short tail, frozen ears, etc...

Hardware disease?
If all they are is skinny... that's one thing. But sick is another. And they are pictured on enough grass that they shouldn't be that skinny unless something is wrong with them.
That pasture looks eaten down to me. Less than an inch tall at best on the green poop spots. Still yet, your point is a valid concern.

Latest posts