What a market!

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve":3i0h2iga said:
Synced some black cows, used AI Herf, and got almost all males. :shock: Sold the 693# steers for $1.76 today. How does that pencil out for a feed lot?

Not knowing distance to freight, exact COG etc., about $3 over the money on the board. Speculating some on premiums or the market trending higher but not as speculative a position as one thinks at first glance. Don't misunderstand me, they're higher than I'd buy for just inventory but I'm also not a corporate yard that has to feed the machine no matter what.

Wow, I wish prices were like that where I am (Oregon). One of the main weekly livestock auction yards here earlier this week was around $1.30-$1.60 for most steers 300-600 pounds.

Just got my report and check. 5cwt steers avg 1.72
6cwt bull got 1.52, high seller was a 360 lb steer that got 2.45
And 1.84 avg for some 4 cwt heifers

Yesterday 5wt steers brought up close to 2.20cwt and some that weighed 398lbs brought 2.54cwt, 1000$ for a calf just short of 400lbs is amazing to me. We had a big run here, the sale starts at 11am and I was buying cows at 2am this morning, that was a long day at the sale.

Sold some yesterday:
Steers average 563# for $1.94, heifers average 554 for $1.6775, six weight steers dropped off to $1.62. All of these were #1 graded calves, top of the market.

denvermartinfarms":12tcrhmh said:
Yesterday 5wt steers brought up close to 2.20cwt and some that weighed 398lbs brought 2.54cwt, 1000$ for a calf just short of 400lbs is amazing to me.

Have you calculated the value of gain on 4 wts and 5 wts?

Took a load to the sale in Dickson, TN this morning... All good quality calves that will average as 5wts. Hopefully these prices will continue for while!!! I guess I will find out soon enough!

I went and watched for a couple hours this morning. good looking calves from 4wt to 6wt right around 1000 bucks. poor culls were bringing 550 to 600 each.
there were several groups 20+ and avg weight was 585 and the avg out around 890. each.
cheapest calf I saw weighed 155# and poor and scrawny brought 255.00

I was going over last weeks market reports and saw where some calves brought 3.90cwt in Arcadia floridia, It just said calves under 300lbs average 219lbs average price 3.07, but the high was 3.90cwt, that's plum silly!

Stocker Steve":3re5029h said:
denvermartinfarms":3re5029h said:
Yesterday 5wt steers brought up close to 2.20cwt and some that weighed 398lbs brought 2.54cwt, 1000$ for a calf just short of 400lbs is amazing to me.

Looks like $84. :? Hope they are real green and healthy.

Stocker Steve":1vqbehi7 said:
Stocker Steve":1vqbehi7 said:
denvermartinfarms":1vqbehi7 said:

Looks like $84. :? Hope they are real green and healthy.
I was thinking right around 100$, not enough either way.

Stocker Steve":36psuncv said:
Stocker Steve":36psuncv said:
Have you calculated the value of gain on 4 wts and 5 wts? Looks like $84. :? .
I was thinking right around 100$, not enough either way.

Time to buy more rwf cows?[/quote]
Yep! Cheap cows is all I'm buying right now, when I say cheap I mean any decent 3rd stage cow for 800 to 1100$, some are older but can still raise a few more calves.

When I can buy a cow close to calving for the price of a 4 or 5wt calf, the choice is easy for me.

Hook":15mkpdql said:
I know the buyer for the group. Waiting to hear the breed and the why.
See if he needs any more, one of our sales up here had 13000 calves today, I can probably get him some more real nice calves for 3.90cwt, heck I'll get him some for 3.80cwt :mrgreen:

denvermartinfarms":3hgzkbq3 said:
Hook":3hgzkbq3 said:
See if he needs any more, one of our sales up here had 13000 calves today, I can probably get him some more real nice calves for 3.90cwt, heck I'll get him some for 3.80cwt :mrgreen:
No kidding. He bought some at 3.55 this week at a different sale. He's a buyer and another buyer for his group paid the 3.90

Hook":3otm4msg said:
denvermartinfarms":3otm4msg said:
Hook":3otm4msg said:
No kidding. He bought some at 3.55 this week at a different sale. He's a buyer and another buyer for his group paid the 3.90
I hope who now owns them can take a loss.

Latest posts