What a market!

Help Support CattleToday:

I've got a group going this Monday. I sure hope it holds true here. I heard Arcadia was really high last week.

3 -4 weights edged above $2 to $2.09 here. Other than that nothing above $2. I hate when I see you guys market reports. Even when I sell 50,000 pounds straight of the farm, I don't get what you guys are getting for your yard calves. It'd pay to haul cattle to your yards, instead of selling here.

Bigfoot":4e60tys0 said:
3 -4 weights edged above $2 to $2.09 here. Other than that nothing above $2. I hate when I see you guys market reports. Even when I sell 50,000 pounds straight of the farm, I don't get what you guys are getting for your yard calves. It'd pay to haul cattle to your yards, instead of selling here.

I just checked the Owenton, KY sale and they weren't bringing anywhere close to these prices up there yesterday.

Denver! Did you, by any chance, go to Colorado over the weekend and get some legal weed!
Those prices are mind blowing!
Winchester Va top 3 wt steer $189
top 3 wt heifer $177
Please keep your prices to yourself!!!!!

jasonleonard":342c2kuo said:
Denver! Did you, by any chance, go to Colorado over the weekend and get some legal weed!
Those prices are mind blowing!
Winchester Va top 3 wt steer $189
top 3 wt heifer $177
Please keep your prices to yourself!!!!!
:lol2: the bad part is these today weren't even top shelf cattle. I think in the next month we will see them 10$cwt higher.

I can see why the price is lower in the south. Can you imagine buying a couple of pot loads from the south, and then sending them into the kind of weather the mid-west had last week. The feedlots and stockers have to have Vet's working overtime. I saw some 3-4 weights over $2.00 here.

highgrit":3hv1mugw said:
I can see why the price is lower in the south. Can you imagine buying a couple of pot loads from the south, and then sending them into the kind of weather the mid-west had last week. The feedlots and stockers have to have Vet's working overtime. I saw some 3-4 weights over $2.00 here.
that's the same reason why the unweaned calves go down in October, the 40 degree weather change from night to day makes it to where it's almost hard to find someone to take the bawling calves. Big mess in the feed yards.

Bigfoot, I do not know why your calves bring less, but there is a reason. I am not being critical, just stating that there is a reason for them to bring less and a reason why people are not buying them there and shipping them here. My statements are based on several years ago, the owner of the barn where I sell my cattle had a nephew who moved to Kentucky. He was going to get rich buying Ky. calves and bringing them here to sell. It lasted about a month and he gave up because he was losing too much money. Was it shipping costs, sickness, different type calves, or a combination or something else? I have no idea. But, he could not make any money hauling them from KY, even though our markets are supposed to be quite a bit higher. Maybe someone else knows what the reason is. I am hauling my late calves (June, July, August born) next week, so hopefully it will be a good week. Those will weigh from 550-725 but I am also going to sell the 450 wt calves that would normally go in March because of the 2 dollar plus prices on those calves. That totals too many dollars to keep them and risk sickness with this weather

Stocky, most of the time I see it not working is because of sickness and being turned to quick, if they are bought and held somewhere local for a week or 2 then shipped and kept for a little while and then sold I think it works better. Also sickness has alot to do with it but I think that can be handled, partly by not dumping them to quick and giving everything a shot rather its sick or not.

ibetyamissedme":3dad3ho3 said:
Many east coast calves have suffered from copper deficiency, it is hard to fool someone twice. The problem may no longer be as widespread as it once was but we remember.
That's another good point.

Sampling of steers from a sale

West Fargo Representative Sales: January 8, 2014

Location Type Head Weight Price
Karlstad, MN Steer 5 422 $222.00
Lisbon Steer 22 484 $217.25
Karlstad, MN Steer 9 509 $205.50
Grafton Steer 15 560 $198.50
Hankinson Steer 4 548 $197.50
Fordville Steer 5 557 $197.00
Milnor Steer 20 564 $196.50
Karlstad, MN Steer 35 592 $191.75
Lisbon Steer 61 602 $191.25
Luverne Steer 12 653 $185.50
Luverne Steer 23 676 $182.75
Cooperstown Steer 20 659 $179.75
Fordville Steer 14 666 $178.50
Ardoch Steer 10 722 $173.50
Luverne Steer 60 713 $173.50
Milnor Steer 56 713 $172.50
Twin Valley,MN Steer 17 711 $170.50
Lisbon Steer 5 714 $170.50
Michigan Steer 10 709 $170.00
Wheatland steer 69 792 $167.75
Wheatland Steer 39 829 $163.50
Wheatland Steer 36 877 $162.00
Chaffee Steer 18 871 $161.25
Enderlin Steer 11 856 $161.00
Enderlin Steer 31 867 $160.50
Wheatland Steer 31 956 $160.00
Alice Steer 10 884 $158.50
McHenry Steer 83 887 $158.50
McHenry Steer 4 1059 $142.00
Enderlin Steer 2 1093 $135.00
Fordville Steer 1 1705 $126.00

ibetyamissedme":37ybg91e said:
Many east coast calves have suffered from copper deficiency, it is hard to fool someone twice. The problem may no longer be as widespread as it once was but we remember.

What problem does this cause for the buyer?

denvermartinfarms":2zpfxyox said:
Stocky, most of the time I see it not working is because of sickness and being turned to quick, if they are bought and held somewhere local for a week or 2 then shipped and kept for a little while and then sold I think it works better. Also sickness has a lot to do with it but I think that can be handled, partly by not dumping them to quick and giving everything a shot rather its sick or not.

I know a guy who buys bulls out of Tenn and trucks them into Kentucky for 45 days of back grounding. Seems to do a good job.

I have thought about trucking a pot load of these back grounded steers into MN in May. Do you see an obvious problem with this?

ditto on the copper- and southern calf reputation.
Its from the Fescue/Heat
Just make sure the calves you buy have been backgrounded and not fed much fescue,that solves all the issues.

Howdyjabo":gwyjjwkr said:
ditto on the copper- and southern calf reputation.
Its from the Fescue/Heat
Just make sure the calves you buy have been backgrounded and not fed much fescue,that solves all the issues.

Now how in the world does anybody expect to raise cattle in the south and not have them eating fescue? It's everywhere.

TennesseeTuxedo":39mrou4w said:
Now how in the world does anybody expect to raise cattle in the south and not have them eating fescue? It's everywhere.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

True.

But, I guess if we could, we could eliminate from our pastures all the fescue and replace with Timothy, Orchard Grass etc and hope that no more Fescue finds its way there.

Or, perhaps, what howdyjabo is talking about would be to pull them off the fescue for a while and put them on feed and a non-fescue hay.

Just my random thoughts on this.

As for some of those prices....WOW!! I am happy for those folks who are able to get such prices! Reap them while you can.

Katherine