Weaning calves before selling

Help Support CattleToday:

Douglas":1gu3h074 said:
ALACOWMAN":1gu3h074 said:
Douglas":1gu3h074 said:
well i go through the same summer slump that you do, right now with pounds paying early weaning would work depending on how this summer goes i might to ..but the cow might be a investment but shes my employee and needs to turn out as many pounds as i give her to work with, she needs to be do it on my forage.. i dont like to have to take up her slack by throwin groceries to her calves

Fair enough. I know i need better forage later in the fall and this would not be as big an issue, so i see your point, as i suspect my slump is worse than yours because of my previous mistakes. I also have sort of a drought mentality these days, which is a typical reason for early weaning. The point i left out is i also try to get the calves ready before our market start to drop here normally in early Sept by pushing a bit.
much dallisgrass in your area,

"much dallisgrass in your area"
No we are on the edge of the Sandhills area and mostly bermuda here. West of us in the piedmont i believe there is a lot of it mixed with fescue for pretty good summer pasture. The mistake i have made is trying to grow fescue here where is probably not well suited so i end up with common bermuda and bahia.

Douglas":b2rfg0cu said:
"much dallisgrass in your area"
No we are on the edge of the Sandhills area and mostly bermuda here. West of us in the piedmont i believe there is a lot of it mixed with fescue for pretty good summer pasture. The mistake i have made is trying to grow fescue here where is probably not well suited so i end up with common bermuda and bahia.
bahia looks like hair plugs :cowboy: don't grow here... but i see you'r perdicament now

Latest posts