Water in tractor tires

Help Support CattleToday:

KenB

Reaction score
I am planning to fill my tractor tires with water, :?: what kind of antifreeze to I need to use with it?

KenB":3jgn8siq said:
I am planning to fill my tractor tires with water, :?: what kind of antifreeze to I need to use with it?

In my area just about all tire ballast is Methanol mixed with water.

we use just regular old radiator anti-freeze in them.

2 gallons each in the 38 X 18's and 1 1/2 gallons each in the 34 X 14's.

Calcium chloride adds weight along with preventing freezing , but it is very corrosive if it gets on metal. It's the only thing I know of that's used in this area.

VZCR":1hnttuz4 said:
shorty":1hnttuz4 said:
Around here it's calcium chloride.
I wonder why calcium chloride? Is it better for the rubber inner tube?

Well, when it gets to minus 40 or worse - minus 55 - the coldest I have run a tractor - water makes a heck of a mess of your tires.

It also takes a long timne to warm up the hydraulics.

:lol:

Bez>

Funny that folks mentioned alcohol. When I was living in Europe some years ago, windshield washer anti freeze was about 5 bucks for 4 litres. Vodka was 3 bucks for 4 litres.

Guess what we used?

Sorry for the hijack. :D

Bez>

I don;t understand the mechabics of it, but in the desert we used to just use water. In the summer with that black tire sitting in the sun the tires would get so hard from the pressure that it was like running one of the old Fordsons with the steel wheels. Went to anti-freeze and the problem went away. A lot of folks used sand in the tire, tubeless, and it worked ok. Don;t know how they got the sand in the tire, never cared so never asked.

Everybody around these parts used calcium/chloride mix at one time , including us , made a mess when there was a leak , rusted rims after a few years . A couple years ago someone mentioned windshield washer fluid on another discussion board , had never heard of using that but it works . I bought 55 gal drums of it , cost around $.90/gal . It is not as heavy as the chloride mix , I think it weighs around 8lb/gal , the alcohol makes it lighter than H2O but it is supposed to be good to 25-30 below . I used a sprayer pump to put it in , it is a lots nicer to handle than tho old chloride stuff .

Latest posts