Warts? Ringworm? I just don't know.

Help Support CattleToday:

JennEme

Reaction score
If there is answer to this somewhere on the forums now, I apologize. I did a search and snooped around, but didn't see what I was looking for. We have this little cow that has some strange growths on her head. When I first came upon her, I thought her skull was exposed and dried. Then I noticed more growths around her eyes. The hard crusty places have the look of white stucco. She seems okay in every other way. Wet nose. Walks fine. Eating and drinking. It's probably warts, but they just look different to me. Not sure if you can tell anything from this pic.

4267217082_303af883c0_b.jpg

If anyone has an idea or a question, please let me know.

Thanks kindly!

looks like warts around her eyes...they'll go away in about 3 months, or there is a medicine you can give them that will clear it up in 90 days..good luck

xbred":2q9kshcq said:
...they'll go away in about 3 months, or there is a medicine you can give them that will clear it up in 90 days..good luck

:D Aint that the truth.

Warts usually get a little worse before they get better. They'll scratch against everything when they have them on their head making them crusty and uglier.

that is ringworm, or barnyard itch as the old guys called it. you can put used motor oil on it or just leave it as i do & it will go away when the sun gets warmer this spring. once they have it they build up an immunity to it

Ringworm, and a fairly minor case at that. Not a big worry, but it is contagious to pretty much anything, humans, cats, dogs, horses....... Once you have it in a corral system, you have it and it will show up in animals that don't have an immunity to it. It gets into the wood of the corral and I think the soil too.

You can treat it if you want, but as said, once it warms up and the sun gets stronger it will go away.

Thanks all for the insight and advice! Sounds like there's not a whole lot we can do. Poor little thing.

Nothing we can do to protect the rest of the heard?

I had an outbreak last year, not a bad one but a couple didn't shake it very fast. Tractor Supply has a product by Horseman's Dream called Fung-A-Way. It is a topical fungicide in a squirt bottle.

Look for a fugicide with Benzalkonium Chloride as an active ingredient. It might help and it might not, but won't hurt.

JennEme":1qvtp92g said:
Thanks all for the insight and advice! Sounds like there's not a whole lot we can do. Poor little thing.

It's not a big deal, just itchy. Not life threatening or anything. You can treat it, there are a million suggestions out there for how. I use Coppertox if we treat anything, which is only if it is causing a problem.

Nothing to protect the rest, as far as I know only natural immunity, there is no vaccine.

If you do treat it, make sure to wash your hands good after, it isn't the most fun thing to deal with, I've had it.

Our cat had ring worm once. I do remember how fun that was. :?

Thanks, Randi. :tiphat:

looks like warts to me as well.you can go talk to a vet an get a shot to clear the warts up.

I can't tell from the photo.

but I think it is ringworm.

ringworm will be a flat rough dry scally hairless appearance.

warts will show a growth ranging from small bumps almost like a rash to large knobs.

if it is warts, usually pulling one or two off triggers the animals immune response. for herd outbreaks your vet can make you a vaccine.

for ringworm the old standby treatment was iodine. actually roughing the surface and painting with 7% iodine.

Newest treatment I have seen is using a fungicide and then covering with a petroleum based udder cream to both soften the surface and to hold the fungicide in place. You can mix the fungicide with the cream and apply both at one time. even petroleum jelly would work.

pdfangus":2r212deg said:
I can't tell from the photo.

Same here. My experience with ring worm is a defined ring when it first appears. Also, it never involves just one animal.

Ringworm, without doubt. I use a 1:8 dilution of lime sulphar,m only need to treat properly once, will go away in about three weeks after the treatment. I don't know of any preventative measure you can take. Its close enough to the eye for me to treat it instead of just ignoring it like i would do if it was on the legs for instance.

randiliana":7xb2qd1c said:
JennEme":7xb2qd1c said:

It's not a big deal, just itchy. Not life threatening or anything. You can treat it, there are a million suggestions out there for how. I use Coppertox if we treat anything, which is only if it is causing a problem.

Nothing to protect the rest, as far as I know only natural immunity, there is no vaccine.

If you do treat it, make sure to wash your hands good after, it isn't the most fun thing to deal with, I've had it.
aint that the truth,, i caught it when i was roping calves,, along with parisites i picked up from the piggin strings

Athletes foot meds work OK...try not to use the spray, the cow will let you do that only once...they don't like the sound of the spray. DMc

Just wondering, but why would'nt you treat it before all your buildings, bunks, boards, etc. are covered with it. I treat mine as soon as I see it and I have very few cases of it. And I don't take any to the sale barn with it infecting the whole barn as I see others do.

Roadapple":pg4wzt40 said:
Just wondering, but why would'nt you treat it before all your buildings, bunks, boards, etc. are covered with it. I treat mine as soon as I see it and I have very few cases of it. And I don't take any to the sale barn with it infecting the whole barn as I see others do.

I'm pretty sure that by the time you notice it they've already contminated your corral system. The little dry flakes fall off as they walk by. And for the bare patches to be apparent, they've already been scratching...... Not something serious enough to worry about IMO.

Stir my thoughts,, What causes it? Fungus ? Protozoa ?

A old country cure in children, Burn a small piece of plain old white writing paper on the back of a dinner plate, stone ware not plastic, and take the gold color tar and smear it on the circle patch...I know it will work had it use on and around me more than once.....also have heard pine tar will do the same thing......

alftn":14z3zeam said:
Stir my thoughts,, What causes it? Fungus ? Protozoa ?

A old country cure in children, Burn a small piece of plain old white writing paper on the back of a dinner plate, stone ware not plastic, and take the gold color tar and smear it on the circle patch...I know it will work had it use on and around me more than once.....also have heard pine tar will do the same thing......

It is a fungus.

Latest posts