Warts - Papillomatosis

Help Support CattleToday:

rancherdee

Reaction score
What can be done to get rid of the wart virus? I have problem with my heifers. I have burned warts and/or cut & burned the warts. I have given both Colorado & Grand vaccines.
I have fed the worst one her own dried warts. Just tried giving her just-cut warts. I would like to try making own vaccine from their own warts. Would I use dried or fresh warts? How would I get the warts small enough to go through a syringe? What liquid would I use in my own vaccine?
Has anyone tried oil (If so, what kind? & did it work?) or toothpaste (if so, what brand? Did it work?)
I understand the warts will eventually disappear, but I have registered Simmentals & the warts don't help sales! Thanks for any help.

a search on this subject will lead you to 2 equally effective solutions

1. Try all the pastes, home remedies, cut them off--(is it TXshomom that wants you to put them in their feed? I like reading that over and over..."cut them off and put them in their feed") shots....etc....

OR

2. Do nothing at all and they seem to go away in the same time frame.

Truthfully, though, a search of this board for warts will turn up plenty of discussion on the topic. Best of luck to you.

rancherdee":1tx06typ said:
What can be done to get rid of the wart virus? I have problem with my heifers. I have burned warts and/or cut & burned the warts. I have given both Colorado & Grand vaccines.
I have fed the worst one her own dried warts. Just tried giving her just-cut warts. I would like to try making own vaccine from their own warts. Would I use dried or fresh warts? How would I get the warts small enough to go through a syringe? What liquid would I use in my own vaccine?
Has anyone tried oil (If so, what kind? & did it work?) or toothpaste (if so, what brand? Did it work?)
I understand the warts will eventually disappear, but I have registered Simmentals & the warts don't help sales! Thanks for any help.
Typically if I see one with warts I wait until they are in the same paddock as my chute and pull them off with pliers. Make sure the bleed a little. I rotate every one to three days so I catch them before they get big and ugly.

I think one of the heifers has a case of the warts. Ive never had any with warts but i'm pretty sure that is what it is. i'm going to pretend like it is anyway unless someone tells me otherwise (posting a pic). Going to let them go away on their own.

When i was in highschool i had a wart on my palm and i tried every wart medicine you could think of and nothing worked. (didnt try eating it.) but what did work and only took 2 or 3 weeks was castor oil. i would soak it at night before i went to bed and put a bandaid over it. dont know if it would work on cow warts, probably not.

Picture496.jpg

It does look like a wart as best as I can see. I have had them with warts, but they were always further up on the neck and face.

I have used castor oil on me and it worked. Put a little baking soda in it and it may work faster. Never used it on cattle, but it probably would work. Only problem is you would have to catch them up at least once a day to put it on.

When I was about 6 years old I had warts break out on both hands. The doctors tried burning them off and freezin them off with limited succes and much pain. Finally, my Grandad took we to the local palm reader/witch doctor. The witch doctor cursed eveyone of the warts and then told me to pee on the warts every time I had to go. My warts are all gone. Maybe a witch doctor can work on cow warts too.

denoginnizer":1sng0xyh said:
When I was about 6 years old I had warts break out on both hands. The doctors tried burning them off and freezin them off with limited succes and much pain. Finally, my Grandad took we to the local palm reader/witch doctor. The witch doctor cursed eveyone of the warts and then told me to pee on the warts every time I had to go. My warts are all gone. Maybe a witch doctor can work on cow warts too.

nice thought of you peeing on your hands. :shock:

Thanks for the mineral/castor oil ideas. I'll try some in the water pistol & see how it shoots. Or maybe I should catch some of her pee & load it with that! - Rancherdee

denoginnizer":1veixzs5 said:

whew that was way more information than anybody needed

denoginnizer":b5fuve1s said:

I hope you don't have to pee on them daily to keep them from coming back.

rancherdee":oqclluac said:
Thanks for the mineral/castor oil ideas. I'll try some in the water pistol & see how it shoots. Or maybe I should catch some of her pee & load it with that! - Rancherdee
:roll: If you are going to catch her urine, I would suggest that you not let your neighbors catch you running around after her with a bed pan! ;-)

I used the word "neighbors" loosely. Should have said most people in the small town where I live already think I'm mentally challenged. Most widows sell the cattle asap after husband's death. I not only kept the cattle, but am trying to increase the Simmental herd. I'm a city girl who loves the country! (warts & all). :D

rancherdee":iu18z4z9 said:
I used the word "neighbors" loosely. Should have said most people in the small town where I live already think I'm mentally challenged. Most widows sell the cattle asap after husband's death. I not only kept the cattle, but am trying to increase the Simmental herd. I'm a city girl who loves the country! (warts & all). :D
;-) Good for you, Dee! The "neighbors" who 'say' they think you are mentally challenged are really envious; they don't have the determination and faith and confidence and belief that you do! It's what you do and what you think of yourself that really counts! Hang in there, and continue to ask questions. DOC HARRIS

way to go girl. do what you love & you will never have to work. may not get rich, but no one can tell you what to do or when. people called me crazy all my life, but they are just jealous cause the little voices are talking to me. ha ha

Your photo looks familiar. I also had a yearling heifer last year with the same type of wart on her cheek. It dried up & went away in a few months. They have also ran through the phases of the smaller round type on their faces & ears. I too have a registered herd & can understand your frustration with the sales. I've heard most of the vaccines don't work well, but I gave them anyway, we will see if there is any difference this year. Godd Luck to you.