Warts...?

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
Hereford with a single wart on her ear. Any suggestions? I'll text my vet but also wanted to see what all you knowledgeable people thought and whose had experience with it before. Thanks!

Attachments

• F35A0E06-C1BC-4689-9811-CC3EE31F1771.jpeg
    F35A0E06-C1BC-4689-9811-CC3EE31F1771.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
Warts are very common. Like a childhood disease. They get them, they build immunity to them and they go away. If and only if you need to get health papers for selling or showing - IGNORE. If you NEED to remove it, grab it with a pair of pliers, pull slightly and cut with scissors or scalpel, getting part of the skin so you don't leave any of the edges of the wart. It will bleed. You can put blood stop on it or spray with BluKote - or - just leave it.

This is her heifer calf, that I found a wart on. It's about the size of a golf ball…. Still ignore??

Attachments

• 85600CDF-E75F-4F9B-891C-6316C8D64A19.jpeg
    85600CDF-E75F-4F9B-891C-6316C8D64A19.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 25
This is her heifer calf, that I found a wart on. It's about the size of a golf ball…. Still ignore??
I bought a load of heifers that were clean when I brought them in but soon nearly every one of them had warts. Most was just minor but since I was treating the major ones I treated them all. There were 2 heifers that 20% of their bodies were covered with warts. After fighting it for several weeks I asked my vet. She said, "cut it off cut it up and put it in a balling gun. Shove it down her throat. Treat the cut area with betadine and first aid ointment." 6 weeks later no warts. She said what was said above - you can try the wart vax but it is a coin toss on whether it will work. I ordered the vax and 12 weeks later it came in. Needless to say, I declined to purchase it.

It could take 6 weeks to 6 months and possibly a year to go away.

Interesting, what mineral is lacking?
hard to say when I don't know the mineral program. Warts are a sign of stress with a week immune system. Boost the immune system with a proper mineral program and you seldom see calves and yearlings with any warts much less the huge golf ball size ones.

hard to say when I don't know the mineral program. Warts are a sign of stress with a week immune system. Boost the immune system with a proper mineral program and you seldom see calves and yearlings with any warts much less the huge golf ball size ones.
Interested. I had never heard that before.

Hmm interesting, I'll have to ask my vet. Thank you for the information. Out of 12 head, she's the only one with 1 wart.

They get the HPV virus from rubbing on feeders, walls, and gates, where other infected cattle have rubbed. That's why it's most common to see the warts on the head, ears, and necks.
Worry warts is an old wivestale, your mom told you so you wouldn't worry.

Latest posts