Warts on 4-H calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cattle Girl

Reaction score
We have four 4-H steers and a heifer. They are all getting warts around there nose area. To my knowledge, there are many kinds of warts. We got a shot but we don't think it was for the kind of warts the steers have. My county fair is in Early August. What can we do to get rid of these warts?

P.S. My heifer has a baby. Can the baby get the warts as well?

put him in a squeeze chute and restrain his head and take a sharp pair of scissors and cut em off. and put the warts down his throat

A pair of pinchers works well. I have heard of people using compound w.

The feeding them back to them is BS. It's the tearing or crushing of the wart itself that jump starts the immune system. If the show isn;t till August you can also just leave them alone and they'll fall of by then. Won;t help with any new ones though.

dun

We removed warts from a horses nose with castor oil. The vet told me about this and it worked well. I think we rubbed castor oil on the nose for about a week.

Slightly pull the wart away from the skin & cut off with sharp scissors. You want it to bleed. They will go away on their own, but I would cut them now so they build resistance.
Yes the baby can get it. Even if a show animal gets one just prior to a show, cut it off and you shouldn't have any problem with vet.

Latest posts