Waiting in line at the auction

Help Support CattleToday:

Rafter S

Reaction score
There was a Toyota SUV in line in front of me this morning. No trailer, of course. The lady opened the back for the tagger and she had 2 goats in there, with some kind of welded wire panel behind the seats to keep them in the back. I bet it smells good in there.

Most everyone here has some sort of small 4WD SUV as their calving vehicle. More room for supplies and easier to put a calf in the back than it is in the cab of a pickup.

Dave said:
Most everyone here has some sort of small 4WD SUV as their calving vehicle. More room for supplies and easier to put a calf in the back than it is in the cab of a pickup.

Yeah, I've had a calf in my lap numerous times. 70% of the time I end up soaked &/or soiled. And that includes holding them in my lap in the back of the Polaris or in the truck on the way to the vet. But you do what you gotta do, especially when time is of the essence.

When I raised dairy calves, we have hauled a bunch of baby calves in the back of a pickup with a top/shell or whatever you call them. Have also hauled several goats, sheep, even some hogs. In later years I got a Goat Gopher that I could easily take out of the truck bed in order to utilize the truck. That made it much better as I wasn't as limited as with having the top on it. There is a stockyards is n the mountains a couple counties east of here,Bon sale nights the parking lot would be full of small pickups with makeshift crates and racks, mostly to haul goats or hogs.
For on farm hauling a calf to the barn we now use our Polaris. My wife drives it and I hold them in the back.

Ky hills said:
When I raised dairy calves, we have hauled a bunch of baby calves in the back of a pickup with a top/shell or whatever you call them. Have also hauled several goats, sheep, even some hogs. In later years I got a Goat Gopher that I could easily take out of the truck bed in order to utilize the truck. That made it much better as I wasn't as limited as with having the top on it. There is a stockyards is n the mountains a couple counties east of here,Bon sale nights the parking lot would be full of small pickups with makeshift crates and racks, mostly to haul goats or hogs.
For on farm hauling a calf to the barn we now use our Polaris. My wife drives it and I hold them in the back.
Is the stockyard you mentioned Lee City? What night is it and what time does it start? Years ago I sent oddball calves and mean cows there but never went myself.

lol...

Well, you cant go to auctions here unless all animals already tagged and all paperwork in order before leaving the property, there has never been a line whether seller or buyer of any livestock where I go, there is multiple loading/unloading ramps etc, it is organised I suppose.

I had someone deliver some sheep one day in a SUV, I could not believe they had them in the back for a 2 hr drive, no way I would do that, not even in a ute with vinyl floor, they had carpet of course, there is no where for the liquid etc too escape, and you simply cannot get rid of that smell, geez a small trailer is only worth a few tank fulls of gas at that time, or half a dozen.

They would have got a few fines if pulled over I imagine.

Yeah, nah to putting stock in your vehicle you use on the road. Cause it stinks even when your used to it :)

kenny thomas said:
Ky hills said:
Is the stockyard you mentioned Lee City? What night is it and what time does it start? Years ago I sent oddball calves and mean cows there but never went myself.

Yes that's it. I used to go there a couple times a year but haven't been for 3 or 4 years. I don't know if anything schedule wise has changed since I have been there or not, but the sales were on Monday night starting at 6:00 I believe. Used to have quite a few goats and hogs. Do you know if the sale in Paintsville KY, is still operating?

Ky hills said:
kenny thomas said:
Ky hills said:

Yes that's it. I used to go there a couple times a year but haven't been for 3 or 4 years. I don't know if anything schedule wise has changed since I have been there or not, but the sales were on Monday night starting at 6:00 I believe. Used to have quite a few goats and hogs. Do you know if the sale in Paintsville KY, is still operating?
I got interested and done some research last night.
It shows Lee City has new owner's and now the sale is on Saturday. They have a Facebook page and are advertising special consignments.
I am not sure about Paintsville . I couldn't see anything recent on it.

Latest posts