Visitors in the neighborhood this morning.

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
My "sleep in late" on a holiday plan was foiled at 7:-ish by the sound of a gun shot close by, immediately followed by the ringing phone. Big bunch of wapiti at the neighbor's place; a shot and the phone call both by the neighbor, who has depredation tags that can be filled if the shooter also has a regular elk tag. As that is happening, son's GF is on her way out the driveway to work. She did not fill her elk tag earlier in the year. So, she stops at the neighbor's truck, he hands over his rifle, and she gets her first elk. I think, collectively, the neighbors got 4 out of the bunch of 60 or so, and they moved out without tearing down too much fence (just a top rail next door, I think). Guess one of us ought to go get an elk tag, as they'll be hanging around for long time, now that they're here. Hook or Jo -- you guys are better at the pic thing than me; I'd have to re-educate myself again. Can you post the one I sent you? Our property is just the other side of the hay barn.

Thanks, Hook. They move, Kingfisher -- not like shooting fish in a barrel. They raise a hellava lot of ruckus in hay barns and hay fields here. 50 feet to the left on this picture is over the road and the RR tracks and onto safe ground. From there, they can cross the river. Other direction, thousands and thousands of acres. They know it. They have hundreds of acres of hay ground here.

Nesikep":nnkb47l7 said:
WOW.. those'll eat some hay and grass!

I think you ought to get a gatling gun or something for that
They don't much bother us, Nesi, except for fencing. Our hay is in a real barn vs. a hay barn, and we don't have hay ground. Our neighbors have hay barns and hay fields. But for anyone that thinks this is shooting elk in a barrel -- you need to get real and dust off your silly self. Fences by that hay barn are about 5 ft. tall. Elk can jump 7 ft. easy. They put themselves there, and I guarantee they'll move out and come back again. 50 head of deer will, too, and more often. They are all good jumpers and fence busters. :bang:

thankfully we have no elk here, but somehow I think our deer can only jump 4 ft.. they never EVER clear that hotwire up top, it's always ripped off... On my todo list is to put HT on the top and anchor it real good.. at least it won't break!

My eyes are not good. I did not realize that was a fence in the foreground.........When the picture loaded, I thought that the elk were walking on some kind of wooden bridge..

Impressive none the least. I have never seen an elk or moose in the wild.

Kathie, I know that herd will tear things up fast, fence and the nice hay fields you folks have over there. I can imagine what a hundred head could do to a hay field through the night.

Nesi, I'm surprised you don't have elk, a lot of BC is thick with them.

Alan

greybeard":1xxe4ie8 said:
My eyes are not good. I did not realize that was a fence in the foreground.........When the picture loaded, I thought that the elk were walking on some kind of wooden bridge..

Impressive none the least. I have never seen an elk or moose in the wild.

I can see why you thought the fence rail was a bridge, Greybeard! That didn't flash for me until you mentioned it.