Vigortone versus Right Now mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

Robby

Reaction score
I've been researching minerals lately reading the pros and cons to Vigortone and Right Now and most everyone has stated the Right Now is more expensive. I priced it here in western NC and the Right Now Onyx is $19, Right Now Emerald is $17 and the Vigortone high mag is $20/bag. Is the price of the Vigortone was just jacked up or if it's really that much of a better mineral?

The extra Mag throughs a little bit into the increased price. Our cows won;t tough any of the right now stuff but they eat the vigertone just fine.

dun

Robby":2v52dk2c said:
I've been researching minerals lately reading the pros and cons to Vigortone and Right Now and most everyone has stated the Right Now is more expensive. I priced it here in western NC and the Right Now Onyx is $19, Right Now Emerald is $17 and the Vigortone high mag is $20/bag. Is the price of the Vigortone was just jacked up or if it's really that much of a better mineral?

In my area (western South Carolina) Right Now Onyx is $24/bag and Vigortone 32SMG hi-mag is $17/bag. When hi-mag is not needed I use Vigortone 32S $13-$14/bag. I cannot say which is better but I really like the Vigortone.

We use the Purina Wind and Rain. Per ingredients, they are very much the same. Cost of Vigortone is 20 and the Purina is around 15 - 16. The cattle are doing good on it.

I pay around 26 for the Right Now Onyx ( with CTC) and that is the breeding mineral and I really like it. Their high mag is the green bag and its cheaper than the Onyx .

What I'm trying to say is that you aren't comparing equal vitamin/mineral mixes. My cows like the right now better than the Vigortone and I need to sit down and compare the minerals and see what percentage each has. But I am gonna start them on the Onyx next month as we're breeding in Feb, March and April.

The vigortone dealer here can't get the breeding mix with CTC in it (but he could add it himself) or that is what I was told but w/o the CTC it was $24 per bag.

Our Vigortone dealer here has a barbecue about every 3 months and has something on special.
In november he had buy 20 bags of FB, pro plus with CTC for $15.25 bag and get one free.

The hubby and I have 65 head so I could justify buying that much mineral. I'm gonna talk to the feedstore and see what they will discount if I buy x amount of the right now.

You gotta compare like formulations......don't know about some Vigortone, but the Right Now Gold is hi mag.....and it probably won't be anywhere near $20.
Also, the Onyx has organic complexed traces, so will be a higher cost.
I know RN has higher copper, coarser particle size, and usually is more palatable (in our area).

Ok my mistake then... I thought the hi mag was the emerald.

but they do have the emerald, gold, and bronze which are formulated for different seasons of the year.

If the Onyx wasn't so darn expensive I would probably feed it six months of the year as I think the added calcium, phosphorous, manganese and vitamin E are essential in milk production.

I also thought the emerald was a high mag mineral. It's a little confusing on their website as it correlates emerald with lush grasses. Thanks for setting me straight.

Seems like pretty expensive mineral. A local mineral manufacturer here can beat those prices by $5/bag with the same analysis, mineral sources, etc. If those dealers are delivering to you farm they probably need to charge those prices to cover delivery and still make a profit.

Robby":32h7ms09 said:
I also thought the emerald was a high mag mineral. It's a little confusing on their website as it correlates emerald with lush grasses. Thanks for setting me straight.
Emerald is intended for use with fearly growth, warm season grasses.
Gold is intended for cool season grasses....wheat, oats, ryegrass, etc. or other forages where tetany could occur.

kyblockhead":2nlpoj7g said:
Seems like pretty expensive mineral. A local mineral manufacturer here can beat those prices by $5/bag with the same analysis, mineral sources, etc. If those dealers are delivering to you farm they probably need to charge those prices to cover delivery and still make a profit.
There's a whole lot more that goes into Right Now minerals than just tags specs.....palatability factors, weatherization, coarse texture, etc.

We use Right Now. It's what one of the locals carry and I drive past their place 2-4+ times a day, and our cattle eat it! When we first put it out, they hit it pretty hard for a few days, but then leveled off. It ranges from $16-22 per 50lb bag. As long as they keep eating it, we'll stick with it.

We switched to Right Now mineral two years ago and it's working great. We cut it 50% with Stockman trace mineral salt to get the consumption to the reccomended level. We noticed and increase in conception rates and I don't think we have doctored a but one or two calves since the switch. It seems a litle expensive but this makes it cheap in the long run.

I used right now for years then the price went to $20 a bag for bronze. I switched to Vigertone forage pro this winter at a price of $420 a ton. I like it so far.

We also use the Right Now- however the cattle wouldn't eat the onyx or bronze. They only like the emerald. I spoke with the field rep & he said in this area with the feed we use that they can be on the emerald year round. I've had very good luck with calving, breed back & general herd health. Last spring I used the emerald w/ the IGR & it worked great. Would highly recommend it!

my local Right Now mineral dealer said that the Gold (highMag) is now avaliable with the Onyx( growth 4 organic package ). It is a special blended mineral . It is going to cost around 17$ per bag here in NC. I hope to get my first this week. The onyx cost 20.50$ per bag here. Its purpose is to get the avaliabilty of the organice trace minerals and complexes in a high mag mineral.

rk":3mcnzb5a said:
kyblockhead":3mcnzb5a said:
Seems like pretty expensive mineral. A local mineral manufacturer here can beat those prices by $5/bag with the same analysis, mineral sources, etc.
There's a whole lot more that goes into Right Now minerals than just tags specs.....palatability factors, weatherization, coarse texture, etc.

I have had low consumption, and then mosisture issues, with the less expensive loose minerals. Our local guys are really pushing Wind and Rain... Have you experienced improved performance with these premium priced minerals?

Stocker Steve":30jik5ku said:
rk":30jik5ku said:
kyblockhead":30jik5ku said:
Seems like pretty expensive mineral. A local mineral manufacturer here can beat those prices by $5/bag with the same analysis, mineral sources, etc.

I have had low consumption, and then mosisture issues, with the less expensive loose minerals. Our local guys are really pushing Wind and Rain... Have you experienced improved performance with these premium priced minerals?
Absolutely.....get pretty regular reports from customers with calving percentages in very high 90's, and this in a period of 18 or more months of severe drought.

Latest posts