Vets

Help Support CattleToday:

Just wondering how much experience you have. Guess you will have experience soon!!
Each cow/heifer is different - some definitely do NOT follow the "rules"!
Most cows will start bagging up, vulva will swell & loosen (get "sloppy"), ligaments in hips will loosen. They usually won't eat much at all the last 24 hours before calving. When she is getting real close, she will want to isolate herself from the herd.
Not to frighten you, but some cows get very aggressive with a newborn on her side. Just be aware of that. Sometimes they are always aggressive after calving, sometimes only for the first day or two. Some (most) are fine - but usually don't like you messing with the newborn.
In my program - I give each newborn a shot of Selenium (Bose or Multimin 90) (both need vet script), a shot of Vitamin A&D, dip naval with iodine, weigh and tag. Most areas of USA are SE deficient, and it is important to get a supply into the newborn.
Enjoy - nothing like watching a newborn!!
Thank you so much for that info, I really appreciate it. I had the pleasure of watching a new born happen April 1 and other one on Oct.19 it is one of those things you can't explain unless you have experienced it, with that being said I also had the sad experience of having to pull a calf that was dead as well. So I'm getting there. Again I can't thank you all enough for all the great info you all have provided me.

Lee, you're program sounds top flight. You are definitely selecting for inherent fertility in your herd. At some point you will have a cow or cows who calve on time, but fail to rebreed. She will be open through the winter and that expense would more than pay for preg checking the entire herd. Your system promotes improved fertility, but without preg checking, cannot prevent carrying an open cow or cows through the winter. Keep up the good work.

Lee, you're program sounds top flight. You are definitely selecting for inherent fertility in your herd. At some point you will have a cow or cows who calve on time, but fail to rebreed. She will be open through the winter and that expense would more than pay for preg checking the entire herd. Your system promotes improved fertility, but without preg checking, cannot prevent carrying an open cow or cows through the winter. Keep up the good work.
Whether someone preg checks is contingent on their operation. It would be prudent, for example, a large producer where the cattle aren't seen on a daily basis. At least in my case, it's pretty easy to tell if one is open: she's going to cycle, 2-3 cows are practically glued to her, the bulls are bellowing in their pasture. Load her up, quick stop at the vet just to be sure, take her to the sale.

Latest posts