Why don't vets want to doctor cattle any more?

Help Support CattleToday:

AlanFair enough LazyM said:
Your darn right i would. a dollar is hard enough as it is to come by {honestly}. but dont blame the the clients for your decission to make an easier or better living.
Glad to hear you did'nt think i was abusing. that one draw back to these forums things can be misunderstood.

I wish I had said something sooner, but I can see that it all depends on a lot of things; location, the farmer/rancher, the animal, and, of course, the vet him/herself. But why are most of the folks with thier fancied up lil' Fido and their spoiled cats more helpless and clueless of what to do than us livestock people? Not that I'm biased or anything. Maybe this has been mentioned and discussed before, so shoot me if it has, but why is this??

IluvABbeef":1u64ngcp said:
But why are most of the folks with thier fancied up lil' Fido and their spoiled cats more helpless and clueless of what to do than us livestock people? Not that I'm biased or anything. Maybe this has been mentioned and discussed before, so shoot me if it has, but why is this??

I have wondered the samething from time to time. I have also wondered why rich people dont mind paying what ever it takes for lil ol' fido to be way to comfortable. but yet when you put a bid in to do some work for them they try to haggel your price down. as if ol' fido just has to have a heated bed but fixing the water line just is'nt all that inportant.

It is the age old story of spending money. People will spend a fortune on something they want, but only spend the least possible amount on something they need. If you want to make money, invent something people will want, you will get rich selling it to them. Food, transportation, fuel, repairs, etc. are all necessities and we will never pay more than we absolutely have to for them.

But why all the fuss with them rich folks? Either it's just me or else the majority of dog/cat owners (urban, mostly) are pretty stupid, if you know what I mean (no offence, though...)

stocky":2skdjc7i said:
It is the age old story of spending money. People will spend a fortune on something they want, but only spend the least possible amount on something they need. If you want to make money, invent something people will want, you will get rich selling it to them. Food, transportation, fuel, repairs, etc. are all necessities and we will never pay more than we absolutely have to for them.

True, but I would replace the "want" with "are attached to" or "are addicted to."

TheLazyM":n07j5c2x said:
I have wondered the samething from time to time. I have also wondered why rich people dont mind paying what ever it takes for lil ol' fido to be way to comfortable. but yet when you put a bid in to do some work for them they try to haggel your price down. as if ol' fido just has to have a heated bed but fixing the water line just is'nt all that inportant.

Fido has their heart. You are COMPETING for their business.

Back to the topic about vets, i found an exercise that i was given by my An Sci 200 prof called "Ethical Decision Making" and the intro is this:

"'Perhaps the most difficult moral problem that confronts veterinarians today concerns the vet's obligation to the animal. Whereas all the other moral tugs--obligations to the client, peers, society and self--are pretty clearly outlined in the social ethic, the question of one's duties towards animals has been virtually ignored by society and by the consensus social ethic until very recently... The fundamental question of veterinary ethics amounts to this: Does the vet have primary allegiance to client or animal?'"

The cases on this excercise are real good, and I mean all of them, and I'm having a hard time choosing which one is the best... Besides, all of them are from a number of vets' experiences, definately not fiction; "as you read the following cases (okay, I'll put two :roll: ) and assess what you would do, try to think creatively. Maybe the glass is 'half-empty' or maybe it's 'half-full.' Or maybe you just have the wrong size glass! :shock: "

Here they are:

1. A woman brings you her five-year-old cocker spaniel for euthanasia. She is not a regular client of yours, and you aks why she wants the animal destroyed. She says she is moving in to an apartment with her boyfriend, he doesn't like the dog, and pets are not allowed in the apartment building. You ask if she has tried to put the dog up for adoption and she replies it is none of your own business. She simply wants the dog humanely destroyed, and of you don't euthanize it, her boyfriend will shoot it.

Is it ethically correct for you to euthanize the dog?

2. You are called to a five-hundred sow farrow-to-finish swine operation to examine a problem with vaginal discharges in a sow. There are three full-time employers and one manager overseeing approximately five thousand animals. As you examine several sows in the crated gestation unit, you notice one with a hind leg at an unusual angle and inquire about her status. You are told. "She broke her leg yesterday, and she's due to farrow next week. We'll let her farrow in here, and then we'll shoot her and foster off her pigs."

Is it ethically correct to leave the sow with a broken leg for one week while you await her farrowing?

Darn good questions, eh? I'd like to see some arguments happening... ;-) ;-)

IluvABbeef- Sure got me to thinking. You might try starting a new thread with your post to get people talking. More people would take a look at it that way since this thread has been here for awhile and many who have checked it out won't look at it again.

VanC":2v486gsf said:
IluvABbeef- Sure got me to thinking. You might try starting a new thread with your post to get people talking. More people would take a look at it that way since this thread has been here for awhile and many who have checked it out won't look at it again.

Thanks, I think I'll do that right away ;-)
IluvABbeef a.k.a: Karin

Latest posts