Good Article on Large Animal Vets...

Help Support CattleToday:

my wife is going back to school so she can get into vet school. she wants to do LA.

rockridgecattle":2ewr8416 said:
A few years 5 maybe 6 we got a LA vet out of school. She was up on the "new stuf". She had a learning curve and has done real well.
Like bez said, free on advice, but we buy our drugs from her. comes out in emergencies, always available. She is expensive (but i think in line with others) but worth it.
One year she gave a free herd health check up for free for regular customers. Nice.
She even did an on farm emergency C-Section-twisted uterus, cow and calf lived, cow tied to a pannel, pannel tied to a hydro pole, and a large rail way tie for a fence post. cost alot.
She said thaks for the experience but never again. Get a materity pen, and we did.

Your story gave me quite a chuckle. Sounds like us when we started.

Now we have it all. You need to handle a cow - we can do it. Our animal doc has said many times that he wished others had our equipment.

:D

Bez>

Bez>":3ck4abu7 said:
rockridgecattle":3ck4abu7 said:
A few years 5 maybe 6 we got a LA vet out of school. She was up on the "new stuf". She had a learning curve and has done real well.
Like bez said, free on advice, but we buy our drugs from her. comes out in emergencies, always available. She is expensive (but i think in line with others) but worth it.
One year she gave a free herd health check up for free for regular customers. Nice.
She even did an on farm emergency C-Section-twisted uterus, cow and calf lived, cow tied to a pannel, pannel tied to a hydro pole, and a large rail way tie for a fence post. cost alot.
She said thaks for the experience but never again. Get a materity pen, and we did.

Your story gave me quite a chuckle. Sounds like us when we started.

Now we have it all. You need to handle a cow - we can do it. Our animal doc has said many times that he wished others had our equipment.

:D

Bez>

Built a new barn and put the pens and chute inside out of the weather. Spent more money on it than I've ever spent on anything other than my house. Last time vet was out he said "Call anytime, I enjoy working in places like this." Best money I've ever spent.

My father has ran cattle his whole life and never had so much as a headgate. And I don't mean 10 or 12 cows. I've recieved countless bruises and broken bones because of him being a tightwad. That was all fun and games when I was a teenager, but not anymore. Now when he gets a wild one he loads them up and brings them to my place. Wouldn't trade him for the world but he's definately one of a kind.

cfpinz

Been looking for a good LA Vet for a while. A good vet means he will answer his phone or promptly return phone calls, he is curtious and attentive to detail, and will have to make house calls. I do not worry about paying a Vet his fees and would be happy to give a retainer as long as he meets the above qualifications. If anyone knows of one in the east waco area please let me know.

cowboyup216":3lu2rab7 said:
My large animal vet owns cattle himself and obviously enjoys his job as the only animals he works on is large animals and makes farm calls only. He is also an ai tech. Darned good vet and no older than 40 years old. Nice as can be. The local vets here left alot to be desired. I am so glad I found this one cuz he is a goodin. Came out preg checked 40 cows, and implanted and ai bred not on the same day of course 3 cows. Charged me 55 dollars for the whole shebang ya cant beat that with a stick.

Preg checked 40 cows for $55, that seems unusaully cheao, going rate here is $3 per head, I might be concerned if everything was done correctly for that small amount of money. Just a thought, and I think sometimes you get what you pay for.

GMN

GMN":1mun0kea said:
Preg checked 40 cows for $55, that seems unusaully cheao, going rate here is $3 per head, I might be concerned if everything was done correctly for that small amount of money. Just a thought, and I think sometimes you get what you pay for.

GMN

Sure glad my vet doesn;t read these boards. $1.50 to preg check, $2.00 to ultra-sound preg check and a fin for the farm call.
He's worth more but doesn;t charge it.

GMN":1iulhpt2 said:
cowboyup216":1iulhpt2 said:
My large animal vet owns cattle himself and obviously enjoys his job as the only animals he works on is large animals and makes farm calls only. He is also an ai tech. Darned good vet and no older than 40 years old. Nice as can be. The local vets here left alot to be desired. I am so glad I found this one cuz he is a goodin. Came out preg checked 40 cows, and implanted and ai bred not on the same day of course 3 cows. Charged me 55 dollars for the whole shebang ya cant beat that with a stick.

GMN

So, I go to school for years and invest my entire life into a "job" as a veterinarian.

I get a call to preg check some cows. Even if the crew can run an animal into a squeeze once every 3-4 minutes (including check time), plus my drive out and back, plus my fuel, insurance, and the beat goes on .......

This guy did 40 animals and he spent a minimum of two and a half hours of his time - possibly three - from office to return to office.

Came out on a different day and did some implant and AI?

More time and travel plus loss of business elsewhere?

All for 55 bucks?

Hmm ..... no wonder veterinarians are refusing large animals.

Not a very big pay cheque. In fact this guy will go broke at this rate.

Making less than minimum wage in some places.

Enjoy him now and wonder why he is out of business later.

Bez>

Bez>":1otwqqns said:
So, I go to school for years and invest my entire life into a "job" as a veterinarian.

I get a call to preg check some cows. Even if the crew can run an animal into a squeeze once every 3-4 minutes (including check time), plus my drive out and back, plus my fuel, insurance, and the beat goes on .......

This guy did 40 animals and he spent a minimum of two and a half hours of his time - possibly three - from office to return to office.

Came out on a different day and did some implant and AI?

More time and travel plus loss of business elsewhere?

All for 55 bucks?

Hmm ..... no wonder veterinarians are refusing large animals.

Not a very big pay cheque. In fact this guy will go broke at this rate.

Making less than minimum wage in some places.

Enjoy him now and wonder why he is out of business later.

Bez>

I wonder if it isn;t an economy thing. So few people use a LA vet anymore, if they charged what they're really worth they might have less business and in the end not make as much. I'ld gladly pay more then I do and I've had that conversation with the vet about not charging enough. He's satisfied with what he gets so I've dropped the subject.

Vicky the vet" I think the idea of forgiving student loans of someone who goes to a rural or large animal practice for x years makes sense. They should do the same with MDs. But hey said:
In the small, rural area I live in they do this for MDs. It's the only way to attract doctors to a small town hospital.

Here in Ky. with all the horse farms etc., I would expect to see this type of program coming soon for LA vets.

Hasbeen":2ruyg28p said:
Wanted: veterinarians for large animals. Must enjoy long drives through beautiful Kentucky countryside and long talks with colorful farmers. Strong stomach and big hearts required.

http://www.kentucky.com/news/state/story/104712.html

Don't forget the late night/early morning phone calls -- probably the only reason I didn't pursue vet school, so I chose the 2nd worst ag occupation - Ag Teacher. Still have those long drives, colorful talks, strong stomach, and big heart -- BUT with less pay! I love it and wouldn't do anything else!!!!!

We finally got a new vet in our county.. and a friend took a Brahman cow with a prolapse there last week.. was told to leave her there. Came back four hours later and she told him she couldn't do anything with it. About the size of a football.

Took her to another vet (farther away) and he took care of it in 20 minutes. Looks like another vet that only wants to do small animals.

I can easily understand why vets are reluctant to do cattle.. because of the lower costs, and because it's physically much harder. But it is terrible for the producers that are 70 miles away from a vet, like we are right now.