Veterinary Feed Directive 2017

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm late to the discussion, but a few more points....

Instead of more government spending to enforce new regulations, we could correct much of the problem with less spending.

However, less spending is usually not an option, as the fed. gov't now exists to extract money from citizens and hand it to special interests. Then tell us how much they care about us. For example, they take billions from us, hand it to corn farmers in order to save us money on food? The more taken from us, the richer we get!

We subsidize corn, making it cheaper to feed to cattle, which weren't designed for it. Cattle on high levels of corn get sick and need antibiotics. Not to mention getting sick from stress of processing and hauling to feedlot. Less corn subsidies would favor more on-farm feeding and less illness requiring antibiotics. Grass farming as done by most here, would gain more advantage.

Then there is calf rearing in poor conditions with scour problems for which many see antibiotics as the solution.

With antibiotics available, we're able to make animals sick for financial gain. A bit of an ethics problem. While I'm a libertarian, not sure if such treatment of animals should be legal.

But having said that, federal laws result mostly from corporate lobbyists, so not good. Best to be from the grassroots, which requires education. More and more people are becoming aware of our food production system, so things will change.

I've seen on several forums antibiotics recommended for anything that limps, off feed for a day, scours, etc, etc. If in doubt, give antibiotics! Playing vet is fun, I guess, while prevention is boring.

This issue isn't going away, so to protect the future market, cattlemen should be self-policing and changing their practices and culture. Discourage antibiotics whenever possible, and practice good husbandry and feeding so antibiotics are not needed routinely.

Don't know if this will happen, as big money controls the game.

My case in point.....A friend on FB just reported that she dosed herself orally with LA 200 for a head cold! :bang: :bang: :bang:
Antibiotic "misuse" at its finest right there!

branguscowgirl":1yqkmcmi said:
My case in point.....A friend on FB just reported that she dosed herself orally with LA 200 for a head cold! :bang: :bang: :bang:

She'd of been better off with 5cc of Baytril in the ham. :dunce:

branguscowgirl":2xpcnohv said:

Make sure she has a proper withdrawal time before slaughter.

Red Bull Breeder":3feco4jp said:
branguscowgirl":3feco4jp said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I will tell her!
True Grit I won't let her know about the Baytril. I think that she has done enough damage!

branguscowgirl":335wuynv said:
Red Bull Breeder":335wuynv said:
branguscowgirl":335wuynv said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I will tell her!
True Grit I won't let her know about the Baytril. I think that she has done enough damage!
I'm curious of the dosage ??? 5cc ? 10cc ? 20cc ? If it's 20 cc la200 is least of her worries.

M5 I did not even ask. A (nasty) part of me hoped that she atleast threw up, so maybe she wouldn't do something stupid like that again!

M-5":3jhk7fxb said:
branguscowgirl":3jhk7fxb said:
M5 I did not even ask. A (nasty) part of me hoped that she atleast threw up, so maybe she wouldn't do something stupid like that again!
I was referring to the dosage per 100#
Lol I know. She is a trim fire captain. So I am sure that she diluted a very small dose in some juice. :mrgreen:

branguscowgirl":2lv2bgm4 said:

number of years ago, when I worked at a TB breeding farm, there was a girl there who would routinely swallow several drops of Domperidone. Said she figured it would increase the size of her breasts. :roll: :roll:

I wondered what she was going to do if/when she started to lactate. :lol: :lol2:

A number of years ago, when I worked at a TB breeding farm, there was a girl there who would routinely swallow several drops of Domperidone. Said she figured it would increase the size of her breasts. :roll: :roll:

I wondered what she was going to do if/when she started to lactate. :lol: :lol2:[/quote]

I wonder if it worked, and can she see her feet?

Workinonit Farm":36fpq0co said:
branguscowgirl":36fpq0co said:

number of years ago, when I worked at a TB breeding farm, there was a girl there who would routinely swallow several drops of Domperidone. Said she figured it would increase the size of her breasts. :roll: :roll:

I wondered what she was going to do if/when she started to lactate. :lol: :lol2:

Women can't get in this country anymore, used to treat diabetic gastroparesis in men .

I know several people who take those tetracycline calf scour boluses. Claim they will cure what ails you and cheaper than going to the doctor.
Another lady I know who works with hospice, she caught some sort of parasite. She went to the doctor who gave her a prescription that cost her over $100. It didn't work. She did her own research and read that in the third world countries they treat this stuff with imovec. She came to me wanting a couple cc's. She took a dose of it in a shot glass of wine. Cleared it right up.

Dave":1lsow5pk said:
I know several people who take those tetracycline calf scour boluses. Claim they will cure what ails you and cheaper than going to the doctor.
Another lady I know who works with hospice, she caught some sort of parasite. She went to the doctor who gave her a prescription that cost her over $100. It didn't work. She did her own research and read that in the third world countries they treat this stuff with imovec. She came to me wanting a couple cc's. She took a dose of it in a shot glass of wine. Cleared it right up.
I have found general practioners have very poor knowledge of parasites both internal and external and their life cycles and how to treat and control them.
Ken

Latest posts