Veterinary Feed Directive 2017

Help Support CattleToday:

Who pays government?

Big business has vets in there operations, so they get past the regs. Vets want regs as they get paid.

Big phama wants regs as they can get around them. They pay for them after all.

Then there is the issue that we simply just do not need all of the chemicals and medications that we use.

For example feed high grain ration to finish cattle that are designed to eat forage and then use medication to help digestion. O then put very large numbers n small spaces, and mix cattle from different locations, thus require more medication.

We waste 40 to 50% of all the food produced so it not even that we need to produce more fro and increasing population, just produce it better and waste less. Of course big industry does not like that idea, hence they want regulation.

Caustic Burno":2dj0fqnw said:
Kell-inKY":2dj0fqnw said:
Caustic Burno":2dj0fqnw said:
You got to be kidding.
Just look to Flint Mi for government intervention blind eye for political reasons.
What? so having NO government regulation would have fixed this? If you are so fired up about no government regulations, head on down to a third world country and get you a drink of their unregulated water.

What makes this topic bizarre is how I am having to play the devil's advocate, it's like opposite day for me regarding the government?

Again you have missed the mark on regulation I have no problem with state it is the Federal. Falls under the 10 th.
If Ky farmers and ranches want this program then it should be voted on to become Ky law by citizens of the state
represented so by their state in their legislative body. Now you have true representation of law and effects to the citizens
and economy of the state.
Not some Washington bureaucrat.
That's all fine and good CB until the States that are not on board sell their tainted products all over the world! Then they are not required to say where they came from or how they were fed. What about those that ship unregulated cattle to you, and they all get sick and die because they have none of their own immune system developed because they have been fed "medicated" feed their whole life? That is another concern for those producers buying cattle. Why would I want to buy cattle that have been fed a steady dose of antibiotics to keep them healthy, when that is not how I am going to feed them. Chances are, they will get sick!

Kell-inKY":3t4ls516 said:
I mean no offense, but this is getting way off topic.

Brute, I would agree with you 100% if it were about consumer choice, however:

From what I read, this is not about consumers wanting antibiotic free beef (or chicken etc.), this is about our overuse of antibiotics creating resistant strains. This is not some made up boogeyman, this is a real problem that needs addressing. If people would stop feeding this stuff on their own it would be great, but I have as much faith in that as people not going to the doctor and getting a prescription for a virus.

from the original article:

According to the Centers for Disease Control, every year in the U.S., at least 2 million people are infected by bacteria resistant to antibiotic treatment, and more than 20,000 people die from these infections. The directive was put in place to mandate judicious antibiotic use in livestock to reduce the risk of antibiotic resistant bacteria.

I got ya. They think beef is the culprit? Have they looked at the people who are supposedly trained to administer these antibiotics (docs, vets, ect)?

Last time I went to the doctor I said about 2 sentences they cut me off and shoved some antibiotics down my throat.

It does no good to make trained professionals administer the stuff when they are the ones over doing it. Which leads us back to what CB is saying. The govt or its agencies have zero ability to keep an actual handle on things. They just make more rules and more rules.

If consumers will demand back ground on where their beef comes from they can make a change in the market. Which they have already with the grass fed and stuff of that nature. Having a govt agency come in just allows for corruption.

Better wake up and smell the coffee as unregulated from all over the world enter the US food chain.
We are now importing cattle from countries with hoof and mouth like Argentina.
Argentina will be joining Australia, New Zealand, Uruguay, Canada, Mexico and other countries that supply the United States with meat from the USDA.
This is not a level playing field.

My brother lives in the "burbs" of Houston and the people in the neighborhood are begging him to bring them beef because they saw him packing it in his house. He told them, like I have told yall, we don't do any thing to our cattle. Its all natural, mother nature, sink or swim. They are fine with us putting a bullet in a cow rather than injecting it with some thing that their family may end up eating.

I, personally, know of at least 3 people who, when given prescripts for antibiotics, NEVER finish the bottle as instructed. There is no way on God's green earth that they are the only 3 people that do this.

Multiply those 3 people by the millions of others that do the same thing.

They "save" what they don't use, for "some other time". I will NEVER be convinced that this type of behavior doesn't contribute to antibiotic resistance.

Workinonit that behavior absolutely contributes to antibiotic resistance! It is more about how the antibiotics are taken than what is prescribed.

Kell-inKY":1unpf69n said:
From what I read, this is not about consumers wanting antibiotic free beef (or chicken etc.), this is about our overuse of antibiotics creating resistant strains. This is not some made up boogeyman, this is a real problem that needs addressing. If people would stop feeding this stuff on their own it would be great, but I have as much faith in that as people not going to the doctor and getting a prescription for a virus.

Some people (actually a lot of them) drive everywhere. They should walk more. They don't always follow the traffic laws either. So we ban all cars. You can call a cab if you need to.

I have always wondered what % of bacteria are actually resistant? There are billions of different bacteria so i'm guessing it's a very, very, very small number.
And also what do they mean by resistant? There are hundreds of different antibiotics, so if they become resistant to one type, does that get them classified as resistant?

I need more solid evidence before I jump on the doom and gloom train, just like vaccines making kids retarded, still haven't seen enough evidence to be conceived.

*Disclaimer. I've taken antibiotics twice in my life, and only give it to sick animals.

sim.-ang.king":1eanrbdx said:
I have always wondered what % of bacteria are actually resistant? There are billions of different bacteria so i'm guessing it's a very, very, very small number.
And also what do they mean by resistant? There are hundreds of different antibiotics, so if they become resistant to one type, does that get them classified as resistant?

I need more solid evidence before I jump on the doom and gloom train, just like vaccines making kids retarded, still haven't seen enough evidence to be conceived.

*Disclaimer. I've taken antibiotics twice in my life, and only give it to sick animals.
Bacteria have such a short life (literally minutes) that they are continually mutating to make themselves immune to whatever antibiotic previous generations had been exposed to.

TexasBred":3ftxbqlu said:
sim.-ang.king":3ftxbqlu said:

Bacteria have such a short life (literally minutes) that they are continually mutating to make themselves immune to whatever antibiotic previous generations had been exposed to.
Yes, kind of like survival of the fittest when it comes to bacteria.
As a nurse I have seen the devasting effects of "antibiotic resistant bacteria" at work. (I have even helplessly stood by while friends have slowly died from bacterial infections that nothing could touch.) Antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria are real folks, and there are more developing every day. The scientists can not keep up with the approval of new drugs to treat them as fast as they are emerging. Hence people are dying. Young people, with good immune systems. Dying of strains of pneumonia, wound infections, bacteria found in lakes and ponds.
We are running out of options to treat MRSA (Methacillion Resistant Staph.) Which has morphed into VRE (Vancomycin Resistant) Vancomycin was the drug of choice, yet now ineffective in VRE.....This is how it works with over use of one drug, there is no end to it. So we must reserve our "big gun" antibiotics for the most severe.

As a nurse I have seen the devasting effects of "antibiotic resistant bacteria" at work. (I have even helplessly stood by while friends have slowly died from bacterial infections that nothing could touch.) Antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria are real folks, and there are more developing every day. The scientists can not keep up with the approval of new drugs to treat them as fast as they are emerging. Hence people are dying. Young people, with good immune systems. Dying of strains of pneumonia, wound infections, bacteria found in lakes and ponds.
We are running out of options to treat MRSA (Methacillion Resistant Staph.) Which has morphed into VRE (Vancomycin Resistant) Vancomycin was the drug of choice, yet now ineffective in VRE.....This is how it works with over use of one drug, there is no end to it. So we must reserve our "big gun" antibiotics for the most severe.[/quote]

I've never used any of those drugs on my cows. Did a doctor have to write a prescription for the patient to get and receive the "big gun" antibiotics?

True Grit Farms":1u4t7vgo said:
We are running out of options to treat MRSA (Methacillion Resistant Staph.) Which has morphed into VRE (Vancomycin Resistant) Vancomycin was the drug of choice, yet now ineffective in VRE.....This is how it works with over use of one drug, there is no end to it. So we must reserve our "big gun" antibiotics for the most severe.

I've never used any of those drugs on my cows. Did a doctor have to write a prescription for the patient to get and receive the "big gun" antibiotics?[/quote]

But any anti biotic's that are used may take out those that are not resistant to VRE etc, leaving those that are.

Before the use of GMO's there was some resistance in plants to roundup, now there is lots, and this is increasing.

Or look at wormers, for cattle and sheep, there are very real issues.

True Grit the point that I am trying to make is that antibiotic resistant strains are a very real threat to humans AND our livestock. Tetracycline and Penicillin (very commonly used in both livestock and humans) WERE some of our "big gun" antibiotics for humans. Now there is a lot of resistance to them leading to the need to develop bigger and better drugs.
For as many new drugs that are coming out, even more bacteria are becoming resistant. There are already organisms that we just can not treat. It is happening in humans and in cattle. Some drugs we use for both, some we do not. That fact does not matter.

Do I believe that resistance in humans is from eating meat from animals that were treated with antibiotics? No!
But I do believe that the over use and uneducated use of antibiotics are creating "super bugs" that we won't be able to treat in both humans and animals. We already have it happening.

While I am on my soap box I might as well finish the laundry. :)
Antibiotics are Perscription only in human use for a reason other than "just government control." It is so an educated person, (a physician) can determine the severity and the need for use and to minimize abuse and misuse. Correct me if I am wrong, but there are many livestock owners that do not know what is wrong with an animal, (much less what drug to use) that go ahead and hit them with a "big gun" antibiotic "just to be safe." Heck, we have to ask people here every day if their cow has a temp. Right? Now compare that to a physician that has spent 8-10 years in school, a lab that runs the culture and sensitivity on the pus, and the pharmacist that compares the sensitivity results to what drug will work for a given bacteria.
I swear (on my soap box) that I am against any more regulations. However I do see where this one is coming from.

Caustic Burno":362n3rws said:
You think all these countries are practicing responsible animal husbandry.
http://beef2live.com/story-beef-imports ... e-0-107548
Well I can't speak for all those countries but I can certainly speak on behalf of Australia and my answer to your question is YES. Our laws for control of antimicrobials are much tougher than yours are even after you introduce your "Feed Directive 2017". We also have lifelong electronic tracking of all cattle and "Vendor Declarations" so if any residue does happen to show up it is traced back to the property of origin where the $hit will hit the fan.
We are more reliant on our export markets than you are so we take our responsibility of producing our product very seriously. It takes very little for a market to be shut down.
You just have to flick through a few pages of CT and the irresponsible use of antibiotics in the US becomes very evident. It just amazes me how you guys like to brag about it though.
Ken

wbvs58":nx5gxr7g said:
Caustic Burno":nx5gxr7g said:
You think all these countries are practicing responsible animal husbandry.
http://beef2live.com/story-beef-imports ... e-0-107548
Well I can't speak for all those countries but I can certainly speak on behalf of Australia and my answer to your question is YES. Our laws for control of antimicrobials are much tougher than yours are even after you introduce your "Feed Directive 2017". We also have lifelong electronic tracking of all cattle and "Vendor Declarations" so if any residue does happen to show up it is traced back to the property of origin where the $hit will hit the fan.
We are more reliant on our export markets than you are so we take our responsibility of producing our product very seriously. It takes very little for a market to be shut down.
You just have to flick through a few pages of CT and the irresponsible use of antibiotics in the US becomes very evident. It just amazes me how you guys like to brag about it though.
Ken

You might be, we had 3 billion pounds of imports last year I highly doubt the central American countries are.
Argentina has been quarantined for years they finally slipped enough money to the right politician.
Money talks and BS walks.
"Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-CT) said she was "greatly disappointed" by the decision. The U.S. hasn't had a case of FDM since 1929 because of bans against animal and meat imports from countries that have struggled with the disease, she added.

"Recent audits show that there are deficiencies in both" Brazil and Argentina's food inspection systems, DeLauro said, calling it an example of trade trumping the safety of the U.S. food supply."

Antibiotics will be the least of our problem with if we get an outbreak of FMD.
Food safety only applies in the US when the Feds want something.
http://beefmagazine.com/regulation/usda ... -argentina
http://rense.com/general8/argen.htm

There's no dang reason that beef from other countries should be in this country.. IMO
All we're doing is asking for trouble. Please write your politicians, from the local government all the way to Whitehouse. It might make a difference one of these days. If you won't fight for you rights, you don't deserve any.

So you think theres an extra few billion lbs of beef laying around the US to make up the difference?

And 650 lbs of beef from italy? thats an odd amount to even report. ha

Latest posts