Feed bin blow pipe?

Help Support CattleToday:

northerner

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am expending my bottle calves and looking to buy a bottom hopper grain bin to be able to buy corn in bulk. Called a local feed mill company and they said feed bin will need to have a blow pipe for truck to fill it.

I've found a 10 tone feed bin that I am interested, but having a problem determining if it has a blow pipe. I've never owned a feed bin, so I am not sure what to look for. Seller says those pipes at the back are blow pipe (but then what are those in front?).

Would appreciate any opinion on if those bins have blow pipe or not.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• $_59 (1).jpg
    $_59 (1).jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 33
  • $_59.jpg
    $_59.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 33
I believe the pipes in the front would be the blow pipe for getting the corn into the bin. I think the pipes in the back are for the air to exit the bin. I am familiar with feed bins like these using the door/lid in the center of the top for fill. That requires a truck with a long hydraulically positioned auger that conveys the material from the truck to the opening at the top. The lid on top would be hinged with a system of rods connected to a handle on one leg of the bin to open and close the lid from the ground without climbing the bin. A blow system would use a truck with an on-board air blower that would blow the air and corn up a pipe into the bin. Corn falls down by gravity into the bin. The air has to come out somewhere. That is the other pipe that lets the air out. You would have to have the proper pipe and connectors to allow the truck to connect to the bin when it is filled. Suggest you show the pictures to the folks at the feed mill for their input on what is required.

I know it's a late reply from me. Things been crazy around here.

Thank you for the message, it clarified some things for me. Basically, if I take a bin like this one, I am better off to have a grain auger lift to fill it up.

Unless you have a lot of baby calves the bins that fill from the top are pretty easy. Open a door at the bottom and let it run into buckets or sacks

I like this real well for getting feed out of mine.

Attachments

• 57F310A4-32A9-46D1-BAAF-4A843D83419B.png
    57F310A4-32A9-46D1-BAAF-4A843D83419B.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 24
Where can you buy these?
I live in a town you can't find bread, eggs, cheese and milk, but bought that locally off the shelf. I think I gave $150 for it. Kinda high, but I really like it. I'll get you in contact if you'd like.

Here is one source and a little more detail. Need to be sure it is sealed well to keep water out when installed. Water in the bottom of a bin ruins the feed and rots the bin.

I live in a town you can't find bread, eggs, cheese and milk, but bought that locally off the shelf. I think I gave $150 for it. Kinda high, but I really like it. I'll get you in contact if you'd like.
Yes please send me a message with contact info.