Transitioning to starter feed

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks for the explanation...

The take away I'm getting is that you weaned your steers from milk(replacer?) and were feeding them TWO pounds per day with small amounts of supplements as they got larger. So not 6 pounds on small calves, and not free choice grain.
There's another thread here with someone asking why their 1000# steers suddenly stopped eating... and they had been feeding 25# of grain per animal and still had sixty days to feed them. (Assuming I'm remembering all the particulars accurately)
My personal experience is that feed is used to make up for poor genetic selection. When I finish my own beef I choose an animal that will finish choice on less grain. Those are the animals I breed and raise. I don't breed for animals I have to supplement and pound the grain to.
You need to consider that a 2 month old calf isn't a ruminant, and calf starter grain is formulated to be a complete feed. Bottle calves do best on free choice calf starter. When I was growing up we weaned early and fed them as Lucky_P described, but in hindsight whatever we saved on feed we lost in sickness and mortality.

You need to consider that a 2 month old calf isn't a ruminant, and calf starter grain is formulated to be a complete feed. Bottle calves do best on free choice calf starter. When I was growing up we weaned early and fed them as Lucky_P described, but in hindsight whatever we saved on feed we lost in sickness and mortality.
And that's not what the op was saying they were going to be doing.

So again... it is my opinion that 6# of supplemental feed a day on a small calf is a lot... and that free choice grain can be problematic.

And something a lot of bottle feeders seem to forget is that naturally raised calves get their rumen started in some part by oral bacterial transfer from their mother. Saliva as well as from mouthing feces.

And that's not what the op was saying they were going to be doing.

So again... it is my opinion that 6# of supplemental feed a day on a small calf is a lot... and that free choice grain can be problematic.

And something a lot of bottle feeders seem to forget is that naturally raised calves get their rumen started in some part by oral bacterial transfer from their mother. Saliva as well as from mouthing feces.
I'm trying to explain that the 6 pounds of feed isn't supplementing anything, it's the main component of the diet. For calves that age forage is a supplement to grain.

Update and checking progress, if anyone would offer input please?
The two bottle calves are doing great - I think! They are 11 weeks old now, and still getting a full bottle of milk replacer each (split into two feedings), along with all the calf GROWER feed they want. I'm feeding Purina Growena, and they consume about 5-6 pounds a day, each, again split into two feedings. They also have some graze, and a small bale of this year's cut hay - which they've been nibbling on. The loose stools were resolved within a couple of days, after I got some Immodium and fresh eggs into her, and cut the milk back some.

So tonight I'm down to the last 11 pounds of milk replacer, don't want to buy any more, but want to stretch this last bit out as long as I can. Starting tomorrow, I plan to cut them back to one-half bottle in the morning only, and offer more grower feed. I should be able to stretch the milk out for 2 more weeks, then complete weaning. They'll be 3-1/2 months old.

Does this sound reasonable? Or am I cutting a corner that's not well advised?
If you recall, these are beef cattle. One will go to the freezer, and the other I *hope* to turn into a milker for us.
Thanks for your time and ideas!

Update and checking progress, if anyone would offer input please?
The two bottle calves are doing great - I think! They are 11 weeks old now, and still getting a full bottle of milk replacer each (split into two feedings), along with all the calf GROWER feed they want. I'm feeding Purina Growena, and they consume about 5-6 pounds a day, each, again split into two feedings. They also have some graze, and a small bale of this year's cut hay - which they've been nibbling on.

So tonight I'm down to the last 11 pounds of milk replacer, don't want to buy any more, but want to stretch this last bit out as long as I can. Starting tomorrow, I plan to cut them back to one-half bottle in the morning only, and offer more grower feed. I should be able to stretch the milk out for 2 more weeks, then complete weaning. They'll be 3-1/2 months old.

Does this sound reasonable? Or am I cutting a corner that's not well advised?
Yes, it is reasonable. Not only is it reasonable, but most dairy calves eating STARTER feed of 18% + protein at that rate would've been weaned at 7 weeks.
Growena is 16% protein and your calves are eating it well enough that the milk is a luxury now. Sounds like you're doing a good job, keep it up and I'm sure you'll be happy with the outcome.

p.s.
As a reminder to all, with the weather we've been having, access to clean fresh water is essential.

Last edited:
@Son of Butch nailed it!

U can stop the bottle anytime. Be ready for some bawling. They may or may not tho.

Honestly. Your plan is a good one. But I'd just quit with the milk and save it for the next one......
I'm bad about always getting a next one.
🤣

Edited to add...
More pics are ESSENTIAL! I'm just getting started with this one.
Who doesnt love a good bottle baby thread right?!?!
20220731_081854.jpg

That is a good plan, as long as you're getting the next one shortly. Milk replacer doesn't keep very long after the bag is open, especially in warm weather.
Does it freeze well? We keep the milk replacer in the kitchen in the bag or a bucket with lid. Any excess goes in the deep freeze for next time. The first bag of replacer I fed to these two little ones had been in the freezer for a year.

Latest posts