Transitioning calves to grains

Help Support CattleToday:

CowboyRam

Reaction score
I got my feed bunks, and have a line on some whole shelled corn. I am looking for some strategies to get the calves on the corn once I wean them.

Be sure the calves have room to all eat at the same time. Feed them a known amount and let them eat for 20-25 minutes.
If there is still feed in the bunk gather it up and put it aside (where they can't get to it of course.
Next feeding and thereafter feed the amount originally fed until the time they take to eat the feed diminishes.
(I figure 3-5 minutes ) After that increase the amount of feed incrementally . Be careful when/if you change ingredients in the ration.

I was thinking I could feed some cake while they are still on the cows, and then transition to corn from that.

What I plan on doing once I get them home is give them their weaning shot, put them back on the cows for two weeks than then wean them.

I was thinking I could feed some cake while they are still on the cows, and then transition to corn from that.

What I plan on doing once I get them home is give them their weaning shot, put them back on the cows for two weeks than then wean them.
Personally, I've had pretty good luck feeding 14% creep. Then adding corn when they start eating the creep well.
Slowly back off the creep feed and adding more corn

Latest posts