Vermeer L or JD 535 Baler??

Help Support CattleToday:

Cibster

Reaction score
Thinking about getting a baler and the local implement has a JD 535 and a couple Vermeer L's for sale. All of them have net wrap and are in decent condition and have baled similar numbers of bales. The Vermeers are priced a little higher then the JD, but he is mainly a Vermeer dealer. Anybody have any experience on either type of baler, good or bad?

I have operated a few JD 535s nice balers. I have only run 1 Vermeer. A friend of mine has run Vermeer for 30 years, 6 different models. He has borrowed the neighbors 535 everytime he has a breakdown with his Vermeer. He is currently looking for a good used JD 535 or newer.

Had a 535. goood baler. had a 567 then a 568. Very simple to operate and easy to work on. Ive never run a vermeer but had a neighbor with one. His bales never looked very good. Hes now got a 568. His bales look perfect.

JD 535 is a pretty good baler from everything I've seen and heard, but an L series Vermeer I'm guessing is a bit newer baler and in my opinion Vermeer is every bit as good as a JD. If you bale a lot of hay pay the extra for the newer baler with more capacity, if you don't bale too much buy the cheaper one. Both should be dependable balers.

I know nothing about the Vermeer. The JD 535 is a very reliable baler which is fairly easy to work on as far as belt and bearing replacement goes.

I've got a 535 and my only complaint is with size of the bales. If it has to be hauled off the farm you can't load 2 rows wide without being oversize. Also because of the width the size and shape of the windrows is really important to make decnt shaped bales. I wish I had held out for a 435 instead of getting the 535

dun":3styrfjq said:
I've got a 535 and my only complaint is with size of the bales. If it has to be hauled off the farm you can't load 2 rows wide without being oversize. Also because of the width the size and shape of the windrows is really important to make decnt shaped bales. I wish I had held out for a 435 instead of getting the 535

I was thinking you could just make a 5X5 bale with the 535, but the 435 but it is a 4X6 tip over type.

I agree with the windrow size and shape. All rake operators need to run a baler to appreciate their job. :)

Galloway2":12cb9rbe said:
dun":12cb9rbe said:

I was thinking you could just make a 5X5 bale with the 535, but the 435 but it is a 4X6 tip over type.

I agree with the windrow size and shape. All rake operators need to run a baler to appreciate their job. :)
I think dun is saying he would rather have the four foot width for loading and hauling verses the five foot width.
The 435 is a 4x5 right? a 4x6 would not work on our hillsides...would be fishing rolls out of the woods.

Galloway2":1zxb2hn5 said:
dun":1zxb2hn5 said:

I make 5x6 but would rather move 4X5 1/2 or 6. Net wrap and the judicious use of the kicker and the 5x6 or 4x5 even are easy and don't roll/run away

Sounds like most people like their 535's. I looked the balers over today and one of the Vermeer's is in really good shape and the 535 looks like it's been used a little harder so I'm a little confused on what to do. I've heard the Vermeer L stands for LEMON from a few people and that the K and M's are better then the L's. Maybe I should just tell him to let me hook onto the 535 and try it out.

dun":30i0ne70 said:
Galloway2":30i0ne70 said:
dun":30i0ne70 said:

I make 5x6 but would rather move 4X5 1/2 or 6. Net wrap and the judicious use of the kicker and the 5x6 or 4x5 even are easy and don't roll/run away

on the 535 aren't they 5 ft wide and you can adjust to whatever height you desire?

Set you density lower and they will squat out of the baler like a soft core. Then you don't have runaways. :help:

Galloway2":3571zhzg said:
on the 535 aren't they 5 ft wide and you can adjust to whatever height you desire?

Set you density lower and they will squat out of the baler like a soft core. Then you don't have runaways. :help:
They're 5 wide by whatever diameter you want. One guy makes 5x3 bales, it looks like twinkies all over his field. Our fields have enough odd ball slopes to them that there are very few places I can;t set a bale down gently that it won;t runaway.

Cibster":1pr1b799 said:
Sounds like most people like their 535's. I looked the balers over today and one of the Vermeer's is in really good shape and the 535 looks like it's been used a little harder so I'm a little confused on what to do. I've heard the Vermeer L stands for LEMON from a few people and that the K and M's are better then the L's. Maybe I should just tell him to let me hook onto the 535 and try it out.

I've got an L that I bought as a demo, 1 year old in 2000. It's the best baler I've ever ran, and I've ran the sh*t out of it. Father and a good friend have both bought 554XL's since then, they're built lighter than my L and clog every time you turn around. I wouldn't be the least bit afraid of an L but no way I'd plunk down my money for an XL.

Latest posts