Value of ford 8N

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
A mile or so away is a Ford 8N tractor with a for sale sign. I'm a past auto mechanic, rebuilt a few engines, done most everything on the 70's and 80's cars and pick ups in a back yard capacity, some professional. The asking price on the 8N is $1300, so maybe 800 or 900? What's your thoughts on the price and the backyard auto machanic's ability to work on it? It's only possibility is a winter project, it's too small of a tractor for my needs. The tin is good no rust, it runs .... For what ever that means. It's just a possible restore and resale, but not looking for a bunch of bucks, just getting my feet wet in tractors.

Thoughts, thanks,
Alan

Good price if it was here. Most here that run are 1500 and if in good condition can go up to 2500 pretty easy.
Very easy to work on and parts are easy to get. Neat little garden tractor. Tires are biggest expense so look at them.

Alan":10yhsv2g said:
A mile or so away is a Ford 8N tractor with a for sale sign. I'm a past auto mechanic, rebuilt a few engines, done most everything on the 70's and 80's cars and pick ups in a back yard capacity, some professional. The asking price on the 8N is $1300, so maybe 800 or 900? What's your thoughts on the price and the backyard auto machanic's ability to work on it? It's only possibility is a winter project, it's too small of a tractor for my needs. The tin is good no rust, it runs .... For what ever that means. It's just a possible restore and resale, but not looking for a bunch of bucks, just getting my feet wet in tractors.

Thoughts, thanks,
Alan

Cleaned and painted up they bring a lot more here.
Most want one of the little tractor's because grandpa had one to mow there five or ten acres with.
That little 4 cyl Continental wont pull a sick cat out of a culvert.
If I remember right lift capacity was 800 pound's.

If you're just trying to get your feet wet working on tractors, I wouldn't waste the time. But if you're looking for a tractor that is easy to maintain, and you don't require any serious tractor work, it's one of my favorites. I have a 53' NAA (Jubilee), which is just a fancy name for a later model 8N. I have grown very fond of her. Even gave her a name; Molly :D . Her head was rebuilt in 1986, and best I can tell nothing else except regular maintenance. I think Molly had been treated well most of her life. I change her oil every 50 hours and it looks like I could re-use it. Although she can't do all the work I need done, she is the only tractor that has always faithfully performed 100% of the duties she was designed to perform without fault. I cannot recommend this series tractor for anybody that needs a workhorse, nor for those in a hurry or impatient. I can highly recommend them for folks that love the smooth sound of an old gasser. They are also great for checking the cows, and the mail :lol2: I aslo use her to pull the kids on the sled when we have snow. If I have been certain of anything in my life, it's knowing that when I crank that tractor, she'll run.
BTW, I gave $1600 for mine, but it had knee deep rubber all the way around, and no problems whatsoever. She'll pick up a 4X5 round bale, but I have to be carefull; sometimes steer with the brakes. I have a 200 pound homemade radiator guard on the front that helps alot with that.

I have a pretty nice 8n that i paid 800 for 6 years ago. it has the 4 speed and the sherman overdrive so to me that makes it worth more. since i got it i have put a water pump and pto pump on it and some other things seems like about anything that can be done to one is a very simple job.most good 8ns around here are atleast 1400 so i would say that 800 to 1000 sould be fine if the tires are decent.

Ones with the distributor on the side are more desirable than the ones with the distributor on the front of the engine.

Yep--I see them all the time for $1800-$3000. Got one running here with the original Dearborn front loader on it, that runs off a front pump bolted to the crank pulley. Every time I get on it tho, I sure miss power steering, and the way that loader is made, it's a royal pain to get on to the seat--I usually just climb up over the back.

They do a decent job really--for what they are, but I hate that the lift won't work if the PTO is disengaged , and the travel speeds never seem to match what I want to do with it. Using a power tiller on it is an adventure.
I have 3 "N' junkers here too--for spare parts.

I think I would look for something about 20 years younger like a Case/David Brown or a Deere. Not much more money for a lot stronger tractor.

bird dog":23qr9cid said:
I think I would look for something about 20 years younger like a Case/David Brown or a Deere. Not much more money for a lot stronger tractor.

Got that right Massey 135 was the tractor that changed it all. Hard to find one with power steering.

bird dog":1momfvqa said:
i agree 8ns can be okay for some things but overall they are not all that useful if you want alot more tractor for not alot more money look for a late 60s or early 70s john deere 2020 2030 or a ford 4000 or 5000. just what i would do for a still fairly chaeper but more useful tractor.

I got by with a Ford 3910 for years before buying the NH. That little tractor did more than it was designed for without a complaint.

I will have to agree with hoss on the 3910. I ran a 2600 ford for years and it was quite dependable. My father had a 435 John Deere baler. His tractor broke done. I hooked the 2600 to it and baled hay with it and it did a very good job with it. Ahh for the days of the good dependable tractors without all the range of gears and electrical gadgets.

hurleyjd":1yo3r8dk said:
I will have to agree with hoss on the 3910. I ran a 2600 ford for years and it was quite dependable. My father had a 435 John Deere baler. His tractor broke done. I hooked the 2600 to it and baled hay with it and it did a very good job with it. Ahh for the days of the good dependable tractors without all the range of gears and electrical gadgets.

Gadget's is the exact reason I sold a cab and air Kioti and bought a TT 60 New Holland no dang electrical gadget's going out in the hay field. It is a simple tractor for a simple old man. You don't need an electical engineering degree to fix it.

Latest posts