Vaccination of Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13":v2nsdpzb said:
When is the best time to begin vaccination and what is the most common diseases to vaccinate for?

Generally speaking,

For cows, two weeks after calving and before re-breeding.
For calves, anytime after 3 months of age.
For bulls, 30 days before breeding season.

Most common diseases to vaccinate for are BVD/IBR combinations (referred to commonly as 4-way/5-way) and Blackleg/Clostridial diseases (commonly called 7-way/8-way/9-way)

But check with your vet for the best answers.

i really cant say what the organic producers are allowed to vacc for or what meds they are allowed to use to treat sick stock.

Aaron":1bhx1kii said:
inyati13":1bhx1kii said:
When is the best time to begin vaccination and what is the most common diseases to vaccinate for?

Generally speaking,

For cows, two weeks after calving and before re-breeding.
For calves, anytime after 3 months of age. (We vaccinate at 2 weeks of age with MLV) and again at weaning..... this causes vaccines to work better at weaning and protects calf as cows protection slacks off
For bulls, 30 days before breeding season.

Most common diseases to vaccinate for are BVD/IBR combinations (referred to commonly as 4-way/5-way) and Blackleg/Clostridial diseases (commonly called 7-way/8-way/9-way)

But check with your vet for the best answers.

Stepbystep":1472fi62 said:
Do organic or the natural grazing ranches still va ccinate? I remember reading something about no hormones or antibiotics

Thanks for the education

I believe organic operations can vaccinate, but if they use antibiotics, the animal must be deemed not organic and shipped off early. Please don't quote me.

Latest posts