vaccinating calves (who does or doesn't)

Help Support CattleToday:

We give the first round when we ear tag the calf, usually 4 to 8 weeks old. That way we know every tagged calf has their first round.
We give the second round when we keep them in the pen the first 10 days of weaning. Those calves are removed to a weaning pasture after the 10 days.
The next group kept up to wean is then given the second round.
We write the numbers on a dry erase board then transfer to a spread sheet.

cross_7":1lq8cfmz said:
branguscowgirl":1lq8cfmz said:
cross_7":1lq8cfmz said:
I've been to the state fair,
a goat roping and never heard the such
Ya right Cowboy! ;-)

Ok Hollywood you got me, I ain't been to the state fair and I dam sure aint going to a goat roping
I don't think you were roping that goat when I seen ya :banana: :banana:

I have never understood why people don't at least do blackleg vaccinations. One calf lost to blackleg sure would buy a lot of vaccine.

tncattle":zxdwjb92 said:
Jim,
I'm with you but not everyone vaccinates their children for everything like many do. We sell and eat the calves/cattle so, that also is gaining ground with many customers about what has actually been put into those calves/cattle. But I don't know how we could produce beef on such a massive scale as we do and not vaccinate or use antibiotics. I'd like to think we could but the way it's currently done I don't see how.

Vaccinations and antibiotics and hormone implants are three very different things. The three act in very different ways.

"Natural" beef generally means no antibiotics nor implants. Vaccinations are a different matter altogether.

Jim

Angus Cowman
[/quote]

Well it wasn't what it looked like, I was practicing my calf tying on that goat and an ant crawled up my pants leg, I was just getting it out when you came along. :cowboy

cross_7":1rxzc5xr said:
Angus Cowman

Well it wasn't what it looked like, I was practicing my calf tying on that goat and an ant crawled up my pants leg, I was just getting it out when you came along. :cowboy[/quote]

Sick! :nod: Can't we have just one educational thread that doesn't go south?! :roll:

branguscowgirl":38xjs2ln said:
cross_7":38xjs2ln said:
Angus Cowman

Well it wasn't what it looked like, I was practicing my calf tying on that goat and an ant crawled up my pants leg, I was just getting it out when you came along. :cowboy

Sick! :nod: Can't we have just one educational thread that doesn't go south?! :roll:[/quote]
You must have a perverted mind :shock: :shock: :shock: All I said was I didn't think he was roping it
He was actually sitting on a stool with the goat on a bench I assumed he was milking it but since you brought it up maybe he was doing something else :hide: :hide:

branguscowgirl
Sick! :nod: Can't we have just one educational thread that doesn't go south?! :roll:

Sorry Miss Hollywood I never intended to offend you, I was trying to be funny
I know you are a nurse and passionate about cattle health as am I.
I did read your post and it was informative and I appreciate you taking he time to post it
My apologies for ruining the thread

:lol2: I have to be careful since I live only 5 minutes from where AC moved from, but how can anyone in Arkansas talk about other people's inappropriate relationships with goats? :mrgreen: :banana: :banana:

tom4018":1b87a78i said:
I have never understood why people don't at least do blackleg vaccinations. One calf lost to blackleg sure would buy a lot of vaccine.
I agree with you 100% if you are dependent on your cattle as income. I lost several calves and fresh heifers to blackleg/clostridium in 1999 out of a dairy herd I bought that was way behind on vaccinations. It was the main reason I decided to get out of the dairy business. But on the other side of it since I have a good job paying the bills now and I've bought a new place that never had cattle on it and I only have a handfull of cows calving each year I am not worried about vaccinating at all and I am taking full advantage of the stress free cattle and taking full advantage of the premium some folks will pay for 100% natural beef. I hear about how grass finished beef (especially longhorn) is tough and tastes bad, but quite frankly I don't give a crap as long as it's putting dollars in my pocket. If I have another blackleg/clotridium problem I will deal with it but until then I'm going to keep my low maintenence hands off approach going. I'm even thinking about getting some cool sunglasses and a sweet cowboy hat.

ohiosteve":1lszracg said:
tom4018":1lszracg said:
I agree with you 100% if you are dependent on your cattle as income. I lost several calves and fresh heifers to blackleg/clostridium in 1999 out of a dairy herd I bought that was way behind on vaccinations. It was the main reason I decided to get out of the dairy business. But on the other side of it since I have a good job paying the bills now and I've bought a new place that never had cattle on it and I only have a handfull of cows calving each year I am not worried about vaccinating at all and I am taking full advantage of the stress free cattle and taking full advantage of the premium some folks will pay for 100% natural beef. I hear about how grass finished beef (especially longhorn) is tough and tastes bad, but quite frankly I don't give a crap as long as it's putting dollars in my pocket. If I have another blackleg/clotridium problem I will deal with it but until then I'm going to keep my low maintenence hands off approach going. I'm even thinking about getting some cool sunglasses and a sweet cowboy hat.
So do you do the whole everyone that comes on the farm wheres plastic booties deal, or do you provide sterile footwear for everyone and make them wear hazmat suits?

I'm not letting them come over and spread their manure in my pastures, but I firmly believe that stressed cattle are more succeptible to picking up disease and with my very small herd I am able to absorb the loss if I did happen to have a disease problem. For now I am enjoying my profits. If that makes me a pizz-poor cattle producer than so be it.

ohiosteve":3ip73xbi said:
I'm not letting them come over and spread their manure in my pastures, but I firmly believe that stressed cattle are more succeptible to picking up disease and with my very small herd I am able to absorb the loss if I did happen to have a disease problem. For now I am enjoying my profits. If that makes me a pizz-poor cattle producer than so be it.
I don;t recall saying that.

I didn't mean to imply that, but the general concensus seems to be that if you don't vaccinate that you are are a poor producer.

I would hate to lose a calf or cow to Blackleg. When it only cost at the most .80 per dose. Tetanus and Blackleg is cheap to prevent and very costly if you lose just one animal.

I don't vaccinate baby calves. I start my vaccination protocol at about 3 months old. I band in the first 5 to 10 days of life. In the past, I have not given the Tet Toxoid or Tet Antitoxin at the time of banding. I may change that, in a recent thread, Lucky_P posted information that is causing me to consider giving a Tet Toxiod and then banding about two weeks afterwards. Before my calves go to market they have been given one of the Clostridial vaccines to cover the 7 species of Clostridium sp.

Calves I am keeping for replacement heifers, get different protocol.

Vaccinating your cattle is usually a pretty good return on investment. We used to not do any and you would be fine most years by far but then have a train wreck year and spend more time and money invested in it that we could have vaccinated everything for 10 years and still have come out ahead. If you give a basic 5 way respitory and 7 way at weaning you are looking at around $3 total for giving the primary shot and booster which is cheap insurance with what calves are worth.

I do agree if you are just pulling and sending to a barn or yard they will usually just revaccinate everything since they view it as cheap insurance also and it may not be worth it in that situation.

Latest posts