vaccinating calves (who does or doesn't)

Help Support CattleToday:

With calves I raise they get an ultrabac 8, Enforce 3, One Shot, pinkeye, and wormed at spring work up (mid May). At weaning they get the 8 way, Bovasheild gold, One Shot, and wormed. The 8 way and Bovashield get boosted about 4 weeks later.
The heifers I buy to raise as replacements get the same shots as the weaned calves.
Here they will announce vaccinations if you tell them. Actually it is best to write it down and give it to the auctioneer personally. The buyers do pay more for vaccinated calves. I know that I am willing to pay more for heifers that I buy if they have had their vaccinations. I still give them my shots when I get them home but I simply have less sick heifers if they have been vaccinated before going through the sale.
To me vaccinations are real cheap insurance. Last Saturday I ran 10 heifers through the chute by myself for a round of shots and to brand them. That round of shots cost me less than $7 a head and it took me less than an hour. That is not a lot of time or money. Doctoring one sick one who doesn't die will cost that much. And a dead one at $1,000 + a head would pay for a pretty big pile of vaccine.

skeeter swatter":6te7d6g7 said:
dun":6te7d6g7 said:
We give them their first round of shots at spring work up then they get their full series of shots at weaning

Same here it's the cheapest insurance you can buy.
We also worm them (drench) in the spring no matter their age before we turn them out on grass with the cows.

I know every location is different. Here, even if vaccine status isn't announced, i think you will build a reputation with buyers one way or the other. However, the low input argument can make financial sense.

I get the market of specialty meats, but the exposure of not vaccinating just seems crazy to me. I believe in the right of everyone to make their own business model decision. But the amount of misinformation about health in the industry is disappointing. When misinformation is passed on as a selling point, it is even worse.

If you feel vaccines taint the animal, what in particular is it about the vaccine that you believe does so?

Personally, not only does black leg make sense to me, but respiratory pathogens can take their toll at weaning time.

Commercialfarmer":2vrgvxut said:
Personally, not only does black leg make sense to me, but respiratory pathogens can take their toll at weaning time.
This one sentence is worth repeating.
Anyone who has bought stockers from a sale barn knows how easy a cough can spread. A stressed calf that is also sick is tough to deal with.
I want our calves to do well once they leave here. It is not just about reputation, it is the welfare of what we have raised and sold.